Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jangadai ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 02:51PM

Check out this video from a series that teaches Jehovah's Witness children how to "Obey Jehovah." Just effing incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUdQG0Fltc

Original videos can be found here:

http://www.jw.org/en/videos/?start=0

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 03:07PM

My friends wanted me to play D&D when I was 12, so I brought some of the books home to read them. My mom patiently explained to me that they were evil and demonic and took us away from Jesus. She guilted me into giving back the books and turning down playing with my friends.

I've since played similar RPGs as an adult and it's obvious my mom just heard some BS at church against D&D, and so she passed that guilt-ridden nonsense on to me.

Date: August 07, 2013 03:19PM

Good point! Now that you say this, I vaguely remember my mom having a similar feeling about my brother being involved with D&D stuff.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 03:32PM

Good GAWD. How disgusting is that? Guilt a child for playing with a damn toy.

I think hummingbirds are magical. Do you think Jehovah would be sad/mad that I spend time watching them flutter around the backyard? Would it please Jehovah if I were to get a BB gun and blast those demonic little sh1ts away from my feeder (and then went for a bike ride)?

Date: August 07, 2013 03:58PM

LOL!

And agreed. It literally turned my stomach to watch.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 04:03PM

So this is a real video that the JW's use!? Wow!SAD!

Date: August 07, 2013 04:42PM

Yep! It is posted on their very website. Sickening isn't it?

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:34PM

You know who else like riding bikes? SATAN!

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 03:20AM

+1

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:12AM

Last time those wingnuts showed up at my house, I told them flat-out that I was an atheist, engaged them in a discussion about God's immorality in the bible and caused them to run off scratching their heads. They'd have better luck trying to convert the bishop.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:22AM

Part of me thinks this thread minimizes the pain and anguish many exmos are going through because it's saying that we don't have any right to feel what we feel because JWs have it so much worse. The tone is really invalidating, like, I shouldn't be expressing any pain at all unless it's at least as bad or worse than these JWs. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think that was the OP's intent, but it could be taken that way by someone who is new to recovery. I can't tell you how many times I've had very valid feelings and opinions diminished and dismissed by someone who thinks you have to earn the right to suffer by being the most abused person in the room. That sort of thing makes me stabby.

So if you are in pain and suffering anguish, you are allowed to feel that way. It's perfectly valid. Try not to compare yourself and your experiences to other people or groups of people. Focus on your own recovery and try not to worry that other people are suffering more, so you don't get to feel what you feel. That's nonsense. Even if you are just barely suffering, your pain is real and valid and you are allowed to feel it and process it.

Date: August 08, 2013 05:48PM

I'm sorry you felt minimized and invalidated by my post. I am new to recovery and I understand what you're saying. My intent of this post was to help people realize, that as bad as being raised in this church can be, things really could be worse. I like to look at the bright side of things. :)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 11:39AM

To squash a child's innate imagination and joy is so abusive. This kind of guilt inducing tactic by a parent makes me sick in the pit of my stomach.

No wonder Michael Jackson was so F'd up. His mother was a Jehovah Witness and his dad was a money-hungry abusive dictator.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 11:46AM

And they're "Messianic Jews"

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:00PM

Posters choose some aspect of the CoJCoLDS and then expound on how awful it is.

This post is a variation that takes some awful aspect of another religion (JW) and says it is worse than the Mormon version.

In other words, Mormons don't have it so bad because JWs have it worse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.