Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mr. Poopypants ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 02:08AM

http://ourldsfamily.com/ldser/

Welcome To LDS Early Released Missionary

This site is to introduce email groups for mothers of missionaries who couldn't finish their full-time service as a missionary. One of these groups is for mothers of missionaries who had health issues severe enough to prevent them from serving effectively without risk to their lives and well-being. The other group is for mothers of missionaries who failed to complete their mission because of worthiness issues.

**Is this a joke?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:29AM

Looks legit. Wow. I bet they have support forums for Mormon Moms who have:

Gay Children
Children who get pregnant before marriage
Children who don't get married in the temple

Makes sense. So much of a Mormon mother's self-worth is derived from raising successful RM's who get married in the temple. It's their life's work and I'm sure they tend to look back and wonder if they did something wrong.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:36AM

Well its a start. The young missionary who wrote was very candid and that should help somewhat. But the mother is carrying on about "The Lord knows our pain". Does it strike you how 'out of place', that is in this context? It is the sort of comment if you loose a loved one, NOT have them return early from a mission! But I guess that is what tscc is all about.

But they missed one category of missionary who returned, what about the one who says "This is $#%# and I am going home!". That ones a BIG challenge and maybe one that they don't want top address.

Great link Mr Poopypants (love your name!!)

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:46AM

I can't read more than a few lines on the website as it makes my blood boil too much.
Seriously, they just came home early - they did not murder someone!
The only reason that this is a problem is because members make it a problem. Life would be so much better if people minded their own business!!
If you are going to send children ( or just beyond children) off with no support structure as such,only a heavy dose of over confidence then this is what the church will get.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:56AM

DYING was the only allowable health concern that justified not completing a full time mission when I went out.
and a missionary would be expected to not miss a beat (besides that of their mortal heart) in getting back to work as a missionary as they arrived in the spirit world, obviously to carry on with MORmON Jesus' (Joe Smith's Penis) great work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsakhmRzow8

My parent's were very disappointed that I had not died in the attempt to complete my mission because I came home 6 weeks early due to illness. That's what happens when those damn non member doctors get involved!

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:56AM

first world problems...

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:58AM

"Dear Missionary Moms, It's been a month since my son and six other missionaries were sent home. Some were sent home for being in places they should not have not been and others were sent home because they knew of the disobedience and didn't tell the mission president."

http://www.ldsmissionarymoms.com/helptopics/Early_Returning_Missionaries/#Advice_From_An_ER_Mom

I had never heard of missionaries getting the boot for not reporting naughtiness. Is this for real?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 06:37AM

When I was working abroad for a while, the mission president in the area made this a constant threat for his missionaries: Know someone breaking a rule and don't report it? You get sent home with him when I find out.

MPs are usually dicks.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:23AM

From my nevermo daughter, "Where is where they're not supposed to be - gay bars?"

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 12:34PM

the list of places missionaries can't be is actually quite extensive - I got in trouble on my mission (one of the many times) for sitting on a horse, for example

missionaries can't be anywhere without their companion (not even in separate rooms of the same apartment) and they can't be anywhere after 9:30 pm and they can't be in a swimming pool, on some beaches (varies from mission to mission), on a boat, or outside of their assigned area (again, strictness of this varies from mission to mission)

oh, and 2 guy missionaries absolutely can't be anywhere alone with a girl - even an investigator or a member

there's probably more - on the first day of your mission you are issued your "white bible" (do they still do that?) which is a pocket book full of rules that you are supposed to keep with you at all times

(but it's not a cult)

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 05:51AM

Most of the posts are evidence of the gossiping, judgmental, and coercive nature in the church. Hurtful, sad, and ingrained behavior due to dogma.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 07:25AM

My nephew died at 18 - about 6 months before they lowered the missionary age. He never served a mission. He died. THAT is pain. If these sorry excuses for women think their suffering is all that, they should see what my SIL has had to live through. What these women feel is a blow to their ego and a hit to their pride. I can't even think of the words to describe my lack of respect for their priorities.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:15AM

"All parents who have a missionary return are devastated and shamed."

Really? There are a lot of things your child could be doing that could be devastating and shameful. Coming home from a mission isn't one of those things. I think a bunch of people are being drama queens at the expense of their kids.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:34AM

I tried to read it but all i saw was CULT, CULT, CULT.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:02AM

A friend of mine had a charmed life. In fact, I had never met someone that had gone through a near perfect life and was one of the nicest people I had ever met. Well, her only son decided not to go on a mission. He fell in love and wanted to stay (they were married a year later). You would have thought her life now was no longer worth living. Even her husband (church leader) was saying it was not the end of the world. Myself and 2 other friends, who have had non perfect lives, flew to where she was to put some sense into her. She "got told", as the expression goes, and she was better after we left. But was really surprised at her response to the news.
I know there was a missionary that was in our ward in Texas and as he gave is farewell talk I saw complete fear in his eyes. He was sweating through his suit. He lasted 2 months and returned. But I knew of his return because someone told me and the family has literally hidden him. No one knows where he is. Around here it is not a big deal with people and the family needs to let him come to church. He really is among friends.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:16AM

Well, okay, I'm old but back in the 60's there was little pressure to go on a mission (SLC BIC). When a guy graduated from high school it was like ...um, mission, college or military, what should I do? It was no huge deal (at least in my SLC suburb) which of those was chosen by the young man. Guys just did what sounded right for them at the time.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:39AM

That all changed with the mantra "Every worthy young man should serve a mission." I'm not sure who started that, but I want to say it was during the Spencer Kimball era, early 80's. These days, that qualifier of "worthy" is taken to mean that if a young man doesn't go on a mission, there must be something wrong with him.
I served in the YM program for several years before my exit, and believe me, the only purpose of the YM program these days is to brainwash the teenage boys into thinking that going on a mission is the best thing in the world. Nobody tells them about the cold, hard reality that they are signing up to be a salesman for a product that nobody wants.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 02:45PM

You got the Kimball part right but I'm pretty sure it started in the late 70s, I left in 1980 on my mision and I remember the every young man thing before I went.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 02:50PM

On the other hand, I don't think it had fully kicked in. Most really talented athletes at BYU did NOT go on missions while I was there. Wilson, Young, Ainge . . .none of them went on missions and no one gave it a second thought. Nowadays people look on athletes that don't go, like Fredette, as odd.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:41AM

Mr. Poopypants Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://ourldsfamily.com/ldser/
>

> **Is this a joke?

When I quickly scanned the URL I read it as:

http://ourldsfamily.com/loser/

How interesting.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 12:41PM

Just the fact that there's a support forum for mothers of missionaries that come home early, speaks volumes about TSCC being a cult.

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 01:03PM

Can't be in a swimming pool??

This is unacceptable because _______.

By the way, what do missionaries do for exercise (besides ride bikes)?

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:37PM

Masterbate! There was a Mission President who stated to a reporter that the reason they don't have more baptisms is because the missionaries were masterbating! I can't search for the source as I am at work, but I can't believe some of the things these people say!!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:06PM

and suffered trauma because of both the illness and how I was treated as a missionary and as a "failed" returned missionary, I appreciate what this site is 'trying' to do.

However, the site's existence points at a rotten culture that flows from disgusting writings and talks from the leaders.

Also, this site continues to shift judgment rather than eradicate it. The email on the front page is very clear that early returned missionaries shouldn't be judged and should be supported AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN ACTIVE.

Missionaries who come home early are treated as broken tools - not people.

This site perpetuates that idea. Missionaries may be "wounded" in "god's army," but they are still meant to come home and continue to be used by the church - broken or not.

The idea that people are only tools meant to serve the church is so long standing that many members don't see it as a harmful assumption about their organization.

I don't think these mothers even understand how sad it is to base love and affection towards their children based on how "active" they are.

The mother in the email on the front page is really quick to call out her own child's struggles in life being due to his "inactivity."

That's a disgusting outlook on life and one that stunts any kind of support towards ones own progeny.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:17PM

I think the inability to leave comments on these sites speaks louder than any of the crap they publish.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:53AM

I wanted to find something about "missionaries that just didn't have the faith for it", but nope. It HAS to be sin or sickness. CULT!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:32PM

That's because in the Mormon church losing faith is only caused by sin.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:39PM

Reading this site makes me think of all the missionaries probably out there who desperately want to go home, but don't have the courage because they will return to family and friends who have the mindset of this site's contributors.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 05:45PM

I spent most of my two years wanting to leave, but never mustered up the courage to do it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.