Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 10:57AM

A couple of years ago, I was watching Good Morning America and there was a story about a little girl from North Carolina who got bitten by a shark. Somehow, just by watching them being interviewed on TV, I could tell they were LDS. I checked the net, and sure enough, I found a blog that affirmed that they were Mormons.

Then this morning, I happened to see a feature on Yahoo! about parents doing a photo shoot and the camera catching them almost tossing their baby into the ocean (accidentally, of course). My Modar went off again because there was something about these two that screamed Mormon. I went looking and sure enough, there was a blog for them, too... yup, they're Mormon.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/family-photo-session-not-average-day-beach-193509461--abc-news-parenting.html

What is it about Mormonism that comes out so indelibly on some people? I think what clued me in, besides the mention of all the kids, was the way the guy was dressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 11:20AM

I think there are people who just nail stereotypes, and it makes it obvious what they are. I have done this with news stories as well, and with a variety of stereotypes.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 11:33AM

I think the fact that they are dressed like that while at the beach is a clue. I work with a guy that ALWAYS wears another layer under his polo shirts, even in 100+ degree weather. I just started working at my workplace about a month ago, so I don't know for sure, but that way of dressing seems Mormoney to me for sure.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 01:34PM

Yeah. I think it was the shorts and the white shirt poking out. But more than that, they just had that "look"...

Posted by: Deja Vue ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 02:15PM

To me the look is similar to going to Colorado City, AZ / Hill Dale, UT. (Even Centenial Park - across the road from the other two places) The people simply look the same to me. It's not so much their dress as it is their demeanor. Even when I see them in St. George/Hurricane, Ut. Stores, they stick out. My Modar goes off.

I will admit there may be some that get by me. However, Mormon's have that same look to them. It's a facade of some sort that just sticks out all over the place. If I wear my T shirt that says, "Don't tell me your parents are related" I get ugly looks (stink eye) which confirms my suspecions. LOL.

I suspect I have similar characteristics as I was 5th generation Mormon (both sides) but I do my darndest to at least dress as immodestlly as I can when I am out and about. I have even put a pack of cigs in my shirt pocket (I have never smoked) when I go to town to show my lack of adherence to cultural norms. (Open throat collars on shirts, shorts that wouldn't hide garments, etc.) I am proud I am out and am willing to flaunt it lest one of the Morgbots deems me a 'worthy' soul.

Most TBM's pretend I am not even there when we meet. I love it and laugh and smile and have a good time and love life. No flying under the radar for me! Works like wearing a crucifix to the temple. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.