Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 06:35PM

The reason that I could never again align myself with any Abrahamic religion is the concept of eternal reward or eternal punishment. If you believe in eternal life, you have to accept the fact that our mortal existence is 0% of eternity. One’s entire life is not even a drop of water in the Pacific Ocean, and yet we are taught that our decisions and actions in this blink of an eye will determine our destiny forever.

If I spent every waking minute of my life doing the most evil, vile actions I can imagine, I don’t deserve eternal punishment. Likewise, if I live the most chartable, giving, loving, selfless life I can, I don’t deserve eternal reward.

Some Christians try to side-step this by saying it isn’t a judgment, it’s just grace. But even those people will say that accepting Jesus as your savior is necessary. So even if Jesus is full of grace, he’s going to assign different eternal destinies based on a confession of faith. That certainly doesn't sound like a God of love to me.

IF there is a supreme being, he/she/it would have to be fair with his/her/its children. Rewarding or punishing infinitely for finite actions is as unfair as is possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 06:41PM

This is exactly what turned me away from Christianity shortly after I turned away from Mormonism. It doesn't make sense, and so many other things about it are illogical too. Just exactly what are the mechanics of "atonement?" I did not ask for this so-called gift, and do not believe I need it. Original Sin is a stupid concept, and the black/white concept of good and evil makes no sense either. It makes stealing a candy bar just as evil as genocide, since even the smallest sin apparently must be repented and forgiven or to hell you go!

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 07:23PM

I doesn't make sense. Talk about overshooting the punishment! I can't even comprehend eternity; but I don't believe in an afterlife.

Posted by: ozcrone ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 09:50PM

Posted by: Anon22 ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 10:24PM

I read the following quote somewhere, "Finite actions cannot have infinite consequences." It goes against all logic.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 11:08AM

Think of the possibility that our supreme bring is someone like Hitler. All the concepts of fairness to all fly out the window.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.