Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:24AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:27AM

Everyone? Or just one person?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:34AM

I remember one who did try to invalidate. Someone who obviously thinks his/her experience trumps all others.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:37AM

I know your statement is rhetorical rather than literal, but please leave me out of it. And whomever you're referring to, just don't engage them in conversation. Avoid their threads and such.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:52AM

The poster named Seriously was obviously in a mood when he/she wrote that. It was not an attack on you Tristan. Let it roll off your back.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 09:01AM

"Seriously" isn't everyone. [Hugs]

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 09:33AM

An interesting thing I have found about Mormonism is that each Mormon could have very different understandings and experiences in the religion.

Just because you hadn't heard a certain term being used doesn't mean you weren't a Mormon and that your experience in the church wasn't important.

For example, my mom was a lifetime Mormon but didn't know about polygamy in heaven. It shocked me because my dad was a bishop, stake pres, and mish pres.

Your experiences in Mormonism are valid Tristan (powerslave) and I'm glad you have shared them here with us. I've enjoyed your posts and insights that you have shared.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 09:37AM

Just because people's experiences were different than yours does not make yours invalid or mean that people invalidated them.

There was one person on that thread who was rude. Let it roll off your back and don't take it personal.

Date: October 27, 2013 09:44AM

I'm sorry. I am very tired, & I have been up dealing with some messes my TBM sister made. I know it isn't an excuse, but that's why I'm angry. The people in this so-called "family" invalidate me on a daily basis, so when someone on the outside says something that makes me feel invalidated as well, I get very upset.

It also doesn't help that my TBM mom is really pushing for me to go to cult activities & even Sacrament meeting now. I have been out for nearly 13 years for crying out loud - haven't believed since I was 8 3/4, & she's pushing me to go to Sacrament meeting & conferences? It's making my head want to explode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 09:52AM by Tristan.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:01AM

Tristan, remember that silence can be an answer. Don't feel that you need to respond when she gets into that mode. Tell her, "no, I will not be going to any church meetings or activities." Then ignore her when she keeps yapping on about it. Let her talk to herself.

Also -- I deal with kids being rude and disrespectful to me on a daily basis, so I know how constant bad behavior directed towards you can wear you down. I just think about my future pension and my retirement. Perhaps there is something pleasant that you can think about that will mentally take you away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 10:05AM by summer.

Date: October 28, 2013 03:45AM

I don't respond to her most of the time. We actually really don't talk to each other anymore, except for housework & what's going on for the day. & I know this asking if I'll go to church or church activities is not in her line of thinking, so someone must be putting these ideas in her head.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 09:50AM

In that case, swearing is sometimes therapeutic. A nice, crispy F-U!, said out loud or in your head directed at the oppressor is a handy technique, at least for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 09:51AM by charles, buddhist punk.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 01:18PM

Hey charles, are you previously charles, not logged in? If so, how's Tokyo?

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 02:37PM

Are you the former Tristan-Powerslave, or someone else?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 02:42PM

The same person.

Date: October 28, 2013 03:40AM

Yes, that's me.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:05PM

Why are you looking to other people for validation?

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 09:06PM

That's a hard cycle to break after a lifetime. Hell I still do it.

I picked up two new hobbies in my ongoing, "give fewer sh!ts what people think, happier life" program.

Date: October 28, 2013 03:41AM

I'm not. I'm just tired of people being assholes.

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 11:57PM

Love your posts and contributions Tristan! -smo

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 12:04AM

What Charles & the Man in Black said. And also, what my awesome youngest step-son would say when a jealous schoolmate "throws shade" his way, "Haters gonna hate."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 03:47AM by myantonia.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.