Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Muffy ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 06:50PM

Rumor is going around that Jay Osmond and his wife are divorcing after many years of a troubled marriage. Has anyone heard about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 08:08PM

He seemed pretty annoying to me.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 08:12PM

He always struck me as the Osmond with the biggest ego.

Date: March 16, 2011 08:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 08:17PM by munchybotaz.

Date: March 16, 2011 08:22PM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 08:15PM

Date: March 16, 2011 08:17PM

Awww, I just loved Merrill when I was younger. LOL

Date: March 16, 2011 08:27PM

Wayne is the jokester. (I know way too much about the Osmonds. LOL)

Oh, weird story about me and the Osmonds. When I was a kid, my sister got an Osmonds album. I think it was just called The Osmonds.

There were photos of them on the front cover of the album. I found their names, but I didn't know who was who, so I guessed.

I later discovered that I got every single one of them right. LOL What were the odds? I had a one-in-five chance of getting each one right and I got them all right.

Weird Osmond story for ya.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 08:57PM

I still can't tell them apart. Except for Marie.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 03:38PM

Donny is in full makeup even that can be hard

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 08:31PM

I googled the subject and nothing about this came up.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:53PM

I looked at the courts online dockets for attorneys. There's a divorce pending for Geoffrey Thomas Osmond (Tom Omond's son) filed a few months ago. Nothing on Jay Osmond. I'll check again in a few weeks.

I did hear Jay and Kandilyn admit they had separated once, and she has anxiety, depression and social phobia (why they have 3 kids a not the mandatory 8). But they seemed okay a few months ago when they posted pictures online.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:55PM

Okay I've tried, but I just don't care...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 12:14PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:58PM

Do they still do a televised Osmond extended family Christmas special every year in Utah?

Sorry to hear about the divorce. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Date: March 17, 2011 05:30PM

Looks like they're together unless they're faking for their sons wedding.
http://www.jayosmond.com/Jason_Wedding.html

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 12:26AM

I wont be sending that link to my husbands email. The last thing he needs is to see happy people in front of the salt lake temple to further solidify (if thats even possible) his belief base.

Posted by: tara2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 07:31PM

There is an announcement on Jay Osmond's website confirming plans to divorce.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 07:54PM

Date: March 22, 2011 10:09PM

I guess I've seen it all as a divorce attorney and a child of divorce myself. But this seems rather low in terms of blind selfishness.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone whose unhappy in a marriage has the right to call it quits. It just seems so selfish of Kandilyn to time her announcement while her son is on his honeymoon. I thought their son, Jason's, face seemed rather subdued during his wedding photos (he's normally a huge smile kind of person). On his wedding day, getting married at the same place his parents did, knowing his mom is waiting for the wedding to be over to announce their divorce the same week of his wedding seems rather cruel and depressing.

I'm not one to attach blame for a divorce. But there are selfish and unselfish ways of impacting one's children when having to take such a step. Jay seems not to be so selfish as to comment the same week his son got married.

I feel sorry for his children if their mom is so insensitive. The middle son is seems obviously gay in a Mormon family. (He's 20 1/2 and not going on a mission.) I hope he doesn't blame himself for this. I see so many Mormon divorces just because life turned out to be harder than the fairy tale temple marriage idea promised. People divorce for many reasons, but in Mormonism it just seems there are many divorces caused only by the fact marriage turned out not to be a fairy tale. Not a judgment on divorce. Just my observation that Mormon divorces have a unique fairy tale disillusionment component.

Gosh, I feel so shitty for Jason and Lauren's wedding plans being so utterly f***ed up by a mom who can't wait six months longer to announce a divorce (after 20something years). I would be so devastated during the honeymoon. How sad.

Date: March 23, 2011 05:28PM

When the photos of the wedding were first posted on the site I noticed that Kandilyn wasn't wearing her wedding ring.

The framing of the message on Jay's site suggest that the announcement was posted perhaps on Facebook, then a flurry of enquiries to the main website and hence the decision to post the message there yesterday.

I wondered about the middle son: perhaps just curious as to whether or not he was in any way 'questioning' of his family's beliefs. I noticed he has a ring on his left hand and I was tempted to enquire about his 'marital status' He has had facial surgery fairly recently and according to the labels against the photos he has only recently started to eat properly again.

Also, Jason got married around 10 months after he returned from his mission though I think he met Lauren soon after returning.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 11:04PM

Maybe Jason and Lauren's wedding plans were not screwed up by Jason's mom announcing her divorce. Who knows? I do think the timing of the divorce announcement is tacky.

I have not thought of the Osmonds in years. I wanted to marry Jay LOL! When I was living in Ontario, CA in the '70's my mother would drive my younger sister all the way to Westwood (I think that was the city) so she could attend the Osmond's ward. My mom would sit in the car and wait for her until church let out. Wierd! My mom claimed to be related to Suzanne Pinegar (Alan's wife).

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 12:16AM

So Jason got married 4 months after coming off his mission.
Apparently, his parents' pending divorce taught him nothing.

And btw who would name their kid Saffron, which is a yellowing agent used in cakes.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 05:45PM

Not a yellowing agent, and I've never heard of it in cakes.
Mostly in rice and dishes like paella.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:14PM

It is both, actually. A valued spice for sure but it also colors the dishes it is used in bright yellow.

out

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:36AM

Saffron is a spice. Expensive, too. It is an odd name, but it stands out, which I guess is the point.

Famous actress, Saffron Burrows from the UK, has had it for 30+ (?) years now.

It IS an odd choice; but then I think Kandilyn is a weird name, too.

Date: March 23, 2011 07:46AM

The problem with cutesy names is that those little babies grow up and have to someday be a 60-year-old named Saffron or Kandilyn.

Posted by: Muffy ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:18AM

They will both be happier.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:30AM

I think Jay saw his son's new wife and decided he needed one of those.

Just sayin'...

ron

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:27AM

Those are possibly the ugliest bridesmaid dresses I've ever seen, or ever will. No wonder he wasn't smiling much.
I'm guessing Jason knows exactly what's going on the home and had no real reaction to the news.
He's way too busy trying to figure out sex with garments on and wondering why he can't have a look.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:24PM

I totally agree about the ugliness of the bridesmaid dresses. Hideous!

Posted by: out ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 04:09PM

I sew and I design. Those things are perhaps the ugliest ill-fitting, ill-conceived bridesmaids dresses I've ever seen. What were they THINKING?? Whenever I see something like this regarding the Osmonds I am reminded of all the money their parents lost for them. What a shame....

out

Date: March 23, 2011 04:12PM

Bride's maids' dresses are supposed to be hideous to better highlight the bride's beauty.

Just sayin'....

Dear Ms.MannersExMormonRon

Posted by: learnedthetruth ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 12:12PM

Just a nonmo observation. Why the black dresses on the mother's???? Is this mormon custom? Very depressing choice for a wedding.

Also, Saffron Burrows very beautiful and a lesbian.

NeverMo

Date: March 23, 2011 04:11PM

Black makes a woman look thinner. Ergo...

Ron

Date: March 23, 2011 05:32PM

There seemed to have been a black/white theme for the wedding.

The bridesmaids dresses were surely the responsiblity of the bride and her family?

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 06:52PM

Actually the last number of weddings I've attended have had beautiful bm's dresses. With all the choices and designers today it's almost impossible to make a bad choice.

These people certainly did! Maybe the girls made them themselves...

Date: March 23, 2011 05:36PM

Saffron Burrows is with Mrs. Dursley from Harry Potter Movies. Whoda thunk?

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.