Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 09:58AM

This really frosts by butt. They Mormons are always doing this. In this example, they claim to supply a charity with $1 million. But it's all in-kind goods of blankets and toothbrushes. They assign an arbitrary value to it and then tell the membership how much they gave.

http://www.lds.org/church/news/church-supplies-more-than-$1-million-in-aid-to-jordanian-charity?lang=eng

Other truly Christian charities and churches will pump cash money and teachers and doctors into an impoverished country. The Mormons send blankets and missionary couples whose sole purpose is to grin Utah-style and pump hands. Like the time that the so-called "humanitarian missionaries" in Congo bragged to me, "The church gave away twenty-four wheelchairs! TWENTY-FOUR!!" (I was thinking, WTF? At any one time, there are 24 or more handicapped Congolese congregating on any one corner in Kinshasa to beg from passing cars, scooting along on their butts and hands because they have no wheelchairs. Twenty-four wheelchairs for a city of 12 million?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:13AM

Wow, Morgbots really are delusional if they think 24 wheelchairs is worth bragging about. I think event at my most-TBM time I would have been embarrassed that that was all they could do.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:16AM

It's a matter of perspective. Twenty four wheelchairs from a small civic group would be quit an accomplishment. On the other hand, if you claim to be the one true church of Jesus Christ, and you have enough money to drop a half billion dollars on a Florida land deal, then 24 wheel chairs are kind of pathetic.

It's also kind of pathetic to count the donations of miscellaneous goods, donated by members, as the contribution of the church, when it itself has billions of dollars and does nothing.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:40PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a matter of perspective. Twenty four
> wheelchairs from a small civic group would be quit
> an accomplishment. On the other hand, if you
> claim to be the one true church of Jesus Christ,
> and you have enough money to drop a half billion
> dollars on a Florida land deal, then 24 wheel
> chairs are kind of pathetic.

so glad I read that..

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:21AM

I have no doubt that they are including the price of printing the Helping Hands tee shirts that they wear for disaster relief in the one million--if it's actually true that they gave any.

It the G.A.s who should wear the Helping Hands tee shirts as they help themselves to 10% of everything.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:29AM

Also, whenever I was involved in these making quilt projects or making survival kits with toothbrushes and soap, etc., we donated the supplies and nobody ever said, "keep track of what you spend and count it as part of your tithing." We were never given a receipt for goods given in kind, as they do when you donate to Goodwill.

So the members donate the supplies, get no tax writeoff, and TSCC then donates it to anyone they can pawn it off on to be able to try to have some kind of lame proof that they're actually a charitable organization and they can show a million dollars in aid and also make sure it's publicized for their image. What a kick.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:32PM

A friend is involved in some Billy Graham charities, now mostly run by his kids.

They collect money, give an accounting where it goes, apply it to practical help for victims, plus they donate time for reconstruction if needed.

The cost to the recipients is 0 Paid for by Jesus Christ.

Now that's what I call true charity.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:53PM

How much did Jesus give out of pocket himself? Or are you saying that any charitable act done by a Christian is superscribed with Jesus' name? That doesn't sound very Christlike of Jesus, taking credit for other people's donations!

For shame, Jesus!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.