Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Finally Free!!!! ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:45PM

AAARGHH My Resignletter returned today it claims that I have to see the local bishop and that you have to give the resignation to that person.

WTF? I sent it about 3 weeks ago and followed the "instructions" given on the internet. I sent it with priority mail and delivery confirmation.
might it be - just a simple idea - because my father is in the bishopric of my homeward? is this their last try to keep me in their rows? Do they really think I am afraid of my father's reaction, who already shun me since I returned home early?

should I resend it to member records or simply go and see the bishopric?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:49PM

I've never heard of that before. Are you in the USA or elsewhere? I would call the Membership Records office and see what's up.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:52PM

If they opened it and read it, you're legally out. The rest of it is their BS, all sound and fury signifying nothing...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:59PM

This is SOP. They sent you the "please come back" brochure, and said it is a local ecclesiastical matter, and it is being sent to your local bishop. It doesn't say you have to talk to the bishop, or even that you are still a member. Read it again, closely. You are assuming things they want you to assume, but they don't actually say.

Bishop may or may not contact you. If he does, you can talk to him or not. Doesn't really matter. The whole bishop thing is an irrelevant sideshow. Within 60 days, if not sooner, you should have your final letter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:51PM

Ahh, I see. The OP probably just misread the standard response.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:01PM

Most people who follow the instructions get a letter saying you have to go through your local bishop, and that your information has been forwarded to him already. That's pretty much standard. If they told you to go to him yourself, it may be that they realized it was your dad and wanted you to have full control of the timing, which is kind of nice on their part.

You can mail the letter to your dad with a handwritten note saying you fully understand the magical ordinances you are giving up, want it done immediately (waiving the standard waiting period) and you'll call in a lawyer. You shouldn't have to see him. But while this is freedom for you, it's failure in the home and the end of hope for him. Could be emotional and awkward for him.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:10PM

This nonsense seems to be SOP for TSSC.

The facts: your resignation letter IS your resignation.

Their reply is confirmation of receipt, and provides
a convenient date of same.

They don't get to define the process. It's defined by
case law. They don't get to add other requirements.
They seem fond of pretending they do, but the fact
is otherwise.

You've done everything the law requires. As of that date,
you are not a member, they have no right to treat you
as a member, you're out.

You do not need to go to your local bishop. If they want
said person informed, that's their problem. It no longer
concerns you, as you are not a member.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:37PM

Thats' bull$hit. Some wanker at HQ is pissed at having to deal with your resignation...& like the other poster said...you've sent it in...they've opened it...you're OUT!! If anybody calls to give you grief...tell them your Canadian friend told you to tell them them to FUCK OFF!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:49PM

Don't see why you should be responsible for their administrative procedures; you are no longer a member.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:53PM

This Canadian says 'stupid cult'

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 09:54PM

He's just some dude.

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:51PM

Bishop Beeblebrox?

Posted by: Recovered MollyMo ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:09PM

No, you do not have to meet with ANYONE to remove your church membership. They only have as much power as you allow them.

Send the letter back, with an addendum, that you are DEMANDING, not requesting their consideration, that your membership is terminated PERMENANTLY at your insistence.

Insist that they comply with your legal right to terminate your voluntary membership within 30 days or you will seek legal assistance and public media to demonstrate that the LDS church will not comply without a meeting.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:09PM

What if you lived in Timbuktu or Bumfukegypt? Are you supposed to contact the local bish?

You're out!

It's a make-believe, fairy-tale men's club anyway.

As far as the REAL WORLD is concerned; you are no longer a Mormon.

And a big congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:50PM

In yesterday's (1/29) posting on another website, item #7 states that members in the US can never truly resign. That's a little disheartening.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:09AM

W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 12:10AM by misterzelph.

Posted by: jimbob ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:55PM

I hand delivered mine directly to the bishop and SP. I never sent a copy to HQ. Within 35 days we received confirmation letters. DONE.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:22AM

When I sent my resignation letter--some guy saying he was my Bishop called me and told me he needed to talk to me.

I told him "no you don't" and then hung up on him.

I think this was after I refused to return calls or accept appointments from someone calling for him, but I don't remember anymore. I had never met these people, was just tired of their harrassing me. I am a smart, sophisticated man--I guess they thought I couldn't find their Church and that is why I hadnt been there for over 20 years. Dumbasses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 01:18AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:38AM

I would send it back. I would write over the top of it first though.

F U I'M NOT A MEMBER OF THIS CHURCH! CRY ABOUT IT.

Posted by: Finally Free!!!! ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:13AM

That's what I actually thought too.... simply FU

yes seems like it is their usual SOP. it had the ridiculous "please come back we need your money" pamphlet in it. not worth the paper they printed it on.

I guess then the local bishopric (my father) will receive his within the next days too... would be a funny weekend.
Absolutely it's awkward for my whole family. A lot of "unexpected" things had happen during the last months. But since my father decided that he doesn't have a son and I only were condone but not welcome in his house and he "would rejoice" when my study visa and other paperwork is finally done and I will leave the country I couldn't care less.
For sure highly emotional for all involved.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:58PM

How very, very sad that a father would put his corporate church before his son. I would be very shaken if my father said such things to me. My dad was upset when I joined LDS, Inc. and he warned me about it but he never got so mad as to throw away our relationship. But the church also expected me to put the church above my father. I just never could do it. My dad always came first. I had even planned on marrying outside the temple before going to the temple in order to honor my dad. Guess I wasn't as TBM as I always thought.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 06:02AM

Phone SLC and tell them you're re-mailing the letter and your attorney will take over if they don't rush through the resignation.

You might add that you will not go through locals for this. Let them know you're no longer a member because they admitted receiving your resignation.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 06:45AM

They never sent me a brochure. I also saved a stamp by resigning via e-mail. The bishop acknowledge receiving a copy from the SP to whom I had CCed within 48 hours.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:02PM

I never got the pamphlet either. I copied my lawyer uncle on the letter. It only took a few weeks before I got a letter from COB saying they were forwarding my letter to my "local" ecclesiastical authorities (whoever they were). A week or two later I got a very brief letter with two sentences from a stake president somewhere saying my name had been removed. End of story.

Posted by: emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:18PM

Return the letter with a note stating you'll hire a lawyer and sue the church if they don't process it like they should.

They will take care of it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:24PM

You are legally no longer a member of the church. My guess is that they are hoping you will blink, and panic, before running back to the church. Maybe it has happened once in a blue moon.

Anyways, they always do this. It is their final, last dickmove, after all the years of dickmoves they have inflicted onto you over the years. They got to pull their junk out one more time, and fling it around in your face, one last time, in order to make themselves feel like real men.

Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:25PM

I sent my letter via snail mail, got the letter and brochure. A week or so later my local bishop was on my doorstep. He was very nice and did not try to change my mind, only wanted to make sure I had given my resignation some thought. Then a few weeks later I got a letter from SLC saying my name had been removed. It really was easy.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:14PM

It's always weird when I see someone else using a nickname similar to mine... I wonder if I should change it since "Finally Free" (with a varying number of exclamation points) seems to be far more popular than I thought when I came up with it a couple of years ago...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:19PM

It expresses how we feel for the rest of our lives after leaving the morg.

Posted by: Finally Free !!!!! ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 03:17PM

Sorry for using your NN ;)
but first I used it wit question marks because it was how I felt after get out of the missionfield. free somehow but not really free - something that changed quickly after a couple days. so I changed to exclamation marks.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 03:25PM

It's no problem, it's just weird seeing it. I've seen a few other variations since I started posting here a while ago. And feeling free, finally seems to be a common, good theme as Cheryl states above.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:18PM

The LDS church has been lying to you your whole life so they wanted to lie to you one last time.

Just wait 60 days and they will automatically process your resignation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.