Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AtheistAlice ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:45PM

A bit of a rant. I get so annoyed with all the people that send out baptism announcements. Some are just Facebook posts/invites, others are full on collages of pictures that look like engagement announcements. What really drives me crazy is that every single one says, in one way or another, how proud the family is that the child made this important decision.

Really? Your 8 year old child understand the decision they are making? They have no idea what other options they have. In most cases, all their friends and family are part of this world that makes them feel comfortable and included. They know their parents are beaming and proud and ready to throw them a big party where they are a star. What 8 year old would say, "You know, gee mom. I just think I'm not ready to make this commitment yet."

I have an almost 8 year old. He's smart and witty and thinks critically about things. He says he doesn't believe in god because there is no proof (obviously because he hears that from me) but because all his friends do believe in god, when he is old enough, he's going to invent a machine that can "see" god and test the theory out. Because he would really like it to be true. I love that he has a plan.

At any rate, I would like to send out an announcement/Facebook post that says the following:

Happy Birthday to my son on his 8 birthday. He has become such a polite, kind and compassionate little person. He feels comfortable thinking and asking, observing and testing his world. And we love and support him in all his adventures. At 8, we know kids rarely make choices that are not influenced by their parents or important adults in their lives. We feel we'd be doing him a disservice to close him off from a large part of the world by having him commit allegiance to anything at the age of 8. I'm proud of him for being curious about his world in a completely open and engaged way. I'm proud of him for just being a great 8 year old kid. So come and eat cake if you want.

Too much? Offensive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:58PM

Posted by: I_am_me ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:59PM

Love it!!!! I have an almost 8 year old as well. That sounds pretty perfect.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 04:00PM

Great!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 04:01PM

I love that birthday message. All too often, the TBM's on Facebook say things like "it's great to be 8" as if their child is making that choice out of their free will. The truth is that the child is simply going along with what their siblings and cousins did, and to please their parents when "deciding" to be baptized.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.