Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheese ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:36PM

I am thrilled that Tom has done this, and I hope it causes as much damage as possible.....but how can this really stick?

Bizarre religious claims are a dime a dozen, and many are easy to refute. How is this case any different?

I mean, in the Religulous documentary there is a guy who claims he is actually Jesus Christ!! And he's making some sweet cash. Is he liable?

British law must be completely different because my understanding is that this behavior, no matter how fraudulent, is protected in the US.

Am I missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:37PM

This in answered in a lot of threads, I'd suggest you read some of them instead of starting yet another fresh one.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:40PM

I think a key difference is that tithing doesn't have the same status in most other religions as it does in mormonism.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:42PM

It's really simple. Prior to 2006 there wasn't a law on the books in the UK to prosecute people who knowing swindle money out of people including churches. Now there is. That's what makes it different.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:52PM

There's a difference between, for example:

Spiritual Claim: The Flying Spaghetti Monster holds objects, including humans, to the ground with his holy noodly appendages (intelligent falling)

vs.

The book of abrhamam is a literal translation of ancient papyri we have in our possession that ALL egyptologists agree are simple burial documents and nothing to do with abraham.

That's the difference...

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 02:58PM

Exactly what Kolobian said. The church has in their possession a tangible, physical object which proves that Joseph Smith's book of Abraham was a hoax. They have known it was a hoax since at least 1967, when a museum found the actual scrolls that joseph Smith had, and returned them to the church. Yet they continue to hold teh BofA up as scripture, and present it as evidence that we are here on earth as a test of obedience to god's commandments, including tithing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.