Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ava ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 08:50AM

I've been listening to the fmh podcast (and other podcasts) for awhile now. If you like podcasts, there are definitely some great ones out there (ME is another one I highly recommend).

Many that address the issues that are often discussed here and also give insight into history. Some will share the believing perspective. Personally, I appreciate hearing the believing perspective occasionally because it helps me remember what I heard growing up, and helps me understand the arguments that family members will share with me. On the ME podcast, there is one commentator who gives the exact point of view my Dad has given. If I didn't know that it wasn't my Dad on the podcast, I would be curious.

On the fmh podcast, some of the main website/feminists are interviewed. Some are still faithful mormons. But I found that I often identify with what they talk about with their faith transition(s). It's a little like the "why we left" portion of this site. Family structures are discussed, and reasons why people woke up and started investigating either the innate sexism, racism or truth claims of the church.

I have no idea what will happen for many of these women, or for participants of these casts. Some may stay mormon, for family or business reasons. Some seem to want more than anything to stay faithful and to believe (I get that, btw). Some may leave.

Personally, I strongly suspect that many feminists will and do eventually leave because of the structure of the church. Some will probably be excommunicated. Sometimes I get the impression that they are where I was during the very initial phases of my drawing away from the church.

That's not to say that I think that they should leave the church, or that I have any opinion on what any of them do (as it's not in my control, and none of my business). And it seems to me if people want to stay mormon and force the LDS church to excommunicate them, I support that as well (not that anyone I've heard on the podcast should be excommunicated, for anything other than being an open feminist, which shouldn't be an excommunicatable offense).

I just wanted to recommend the podcast. I know there are many here who are intensely skeptical of mormon feminists - and also those who think any mormon feminists should just leave. Personally, I believe it is more complicated than that.

I know that many here were excommunicated for their feminism or chose to leave because of the innate sexism of the church. My hope is that podcasts like this one can help people heal - but also help people understand the experience of being a mormon woman (and a mormon woman in transition).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 12:25PM

+

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.