Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 11:05PM

Even TBMs are getting the message that the gig is up. Lowest growth rate in 70 years, and no new temples in a year. Since Hinckley started the McTemples, that has never happened. Not only are they not building full-sized temples, they aren't even building closet-sized ones either. All this with a record number of missionaries out.

TBMs are scratching their heads. They know that members are dropping out in droves. They know that record numbers of missionaries is delivering fewer converts than ever. They are trying to figure out why the converts are drying up and the members are leaving. How long before they really start asking the tough questions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 11:30PM

I think they have already started asking the tough questions, at least enough of them to scare the bejeezus out of The Suits.

The Mormon ship of state is taking on water. All hands man the pumps!

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 11:34PM

The +50% number of missionaries, but only +0.5% more converts is huge. I don't know if most members will bother doing the math or comparing the stats, but any who do are going to have something to think about.

Posted by: Yuck ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 12:58AM

Isn't the general population growth rate greater than half-a-percent? (Not to mention the fact that Mormons have more children that the rest of the nation.) If so then .5% has to be bad news.

And it will only get worse as the one-time missionary "bubble" bursts next year and things go back to normal.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 01:04AM

It's sure nice that information is now available practically instantly. I can compare products and services, rejecting those that are inferior or over-priced. Incidentally, it is a boon for avoiding money-grubbing, mind-numbing religious cults too. Seems to be working.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 01:04AM

It's sure nice that information is now available practically instantly. I can compare products and services, rejecting those that are inferior or over-priced. Incidentally, it is a boon for avoiding money-grubbing, mind-numbing religious cults too. Seems to be working.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 03:16AM

People can't afford 10% tithing and they don't have the time because they are working two or three part time jobs.

Belonging to the church is a luxury people no longer can afford.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 06:57AM

I don't think TBMs are thinking at all. In Australia, one baptism every few years in a ward is a huge and exciting event. People are used to no new converts because the product sucks donkey dicks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.