Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:00PM

Glenn Beck has been on a kick recently hailing the Bible as the solution to every single one of our nation's problems, so it comes as no surprise to see him now throwing his support behind an effort led by Hobby Lobby president Steve Green to get the Bible taught in public schools all over the nation.

Hailing the Green family as "true Americans" during his morning meeting, Beck turned directly to the camera and urged viewers to shop at Hobby Lobby in order to support them because "these people are the best."

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-wants-bible-taught-public-schools-because-it-only-textbook-we-needed#sthash.F6dqIfNO.dpuf

Pardon me while I go barf on the new carpet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:04PM

Isn't he now producing movies as well !!??

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:07PM

I would bet against that happening nationally, but I could maybe see it happening in a couple of states, which would probably result in widespread cultural mockery, think Stewart, Colbert, Fallon, Kimmell.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:39PM

Funny. Because I didn't know jack shit about Western Democracy until I read things like Plato, Aristotle, Thucydides, Plutarch, Cicero, Locke, Hobbes, Montesquieu, and many more. You know, the guys who basically developed western democracy. Those who weren't pagans, were deists/atheists, and the few who were Christian were pretty receptive of separating theology and government, or at least liked the idea of religious tolerance.

Locke should be particularly noted in the case of Beck. You know that whole thing about "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" in our Declaration of Independence? Yeah that was taken straight from Locke, who interestingly was a STAUNCH SUPPORTER of the separation of church and state.

With that said, it CAN be appropriate to teach about the Bible in our public schools depending on the scope, context and intent of such lessons, because it does have major historical significance at the very least. I think it would even be totally acceptable as a purely elective option.

In fact, I took a class in my Junior year of high school that ended up being devoted almost entirely to the Old Testament. It was designed and taught by a Jewish guy. The class was purely discussion-based, with an individual project/presentation due at the end. It was a tasteful, productive class and he did an excellent job balancing and facilitating our discussions to maintain a good environment for the diversity of people that were in the class.

Incidentally, this man also taught the Advanced Placement Government class, which I took the following year and had the opportunity to study the first amendment quite thoroughly and garner a very deep appreciation for the separation of church and state.

However, it is NEVER appropriate to push or force religious dogma, or compel children in our public schools to subscribe to specific religious beliefs, which seems to be the suggestion Beck is making.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:08PM

Oh Lord,
Separation of church and state anyone? If you want to have the Bible in education then homeschool and don't push your views on everyone else.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:11PM

maybe someone forgot to tell Beck that!!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:13PM

I thought he knew EVERYTHING about the constitution.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:15PM

Is Glen throwing the BOM under the bus? I thought Glen would have said the BOM is the most correct book on earth. Glen, are you on this board? Glen come out, come out where ever you are.

The best way to lose the right to be an open christian is to force it on everyone -- Glen is a hack.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.