Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:25PM

I am not a drinker, but would like to try wine. For a first time drink would one glass make me drunk because I don't want to get drunk I just want to try it. Also, did anyone on here like wine the first time they tried it or is it an acquired taste?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:31PM

I had friends who served me really dry expensive wines and I couldn't drink them. They tasted awful.

Most of us start with the sweeter wines. White zinfandel is good, or even a moscato. Lambrusco can be a good red to start with. AS for champagne, start with an Asti Spumante or a dry champagne rather than a brut.

Be sure to take tiny sips, let them linger on the tongue a while and then swallow. This is not the same as drinking orange soda.

Some people can get buzzed off of one glass and some don't. Make sure to have some hors d'ouvres or nibbles of some kind. Drinking on an empty stomach lets the alcohol affect you more.

I ended up loving the fine wines and now a glass with friends is one of my greatest pleasures. I am glad I acquired the taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 11:32PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:36PM

For your first drink i would get a good quality ruby port. It's what you think wine should taste like.

I would be surprised if you liked wine your first time. If you can afford it go to a good restaurant with a decent wine list and get one glass of red that pairs with your meal. This is the best way to have wine rather than just drinking a glass straight through.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:44PM

I live in Washington where there are more wine tasting places than there are churches (I like to think so anyway:)

It's a great way to explore the taste of different wines. Many of them have a food/wine pairing tasting. They usually cost around $20, but are well worth it. You can learn a lot, and have a good time.

We(DH and I) go to Woodenville, get a hotel room, then walk or take a cab to the places we're going to go tasting. It's a lot of fun.

Posted by: Que ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:38AM

I agree, Woodinville is a good place to go for wine tasting and Washington has lots of places or tasting tours. However, if wine isn't to your taste, you could try some of the micro-brews. They are also all over Washington and there are some tasty ones!

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:45PM

Moscato was the first wine I really liked.

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: May 28, 2014 11:59PM

I tried it and thought it was nasty and expensive. Don't understand why you have to acquire a taste for something. We have a taste buds for a reason, and alcohol is toxic.

Seems there is pressure here that in order to be a good exmo you have to drink alcohol. Which means we are still being controlled.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:17AM

Controlled? The OP said she would LIKE to try wine. Sounds like a choice to me.

Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:17AM

It has nothing to do with being a "good exmo." I have wanted to taste wine for many years, even before I was an exmo. Plus, it has been researched that red wine could be beneficial to your health. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer the doctor suggested he start drinking green tea and/or red wine because both have anti-cancer properties. I do believe that alcohol consumed in large amounts is toxic. I would never want to abuse the substance. I just want to taste it, that doesn't mean it will become a staple in my life.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:27AM

lol... I disagree with everything you said. But that's okay. We can.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 01:08AM

I can remember a very large number of things that my taste buds first rejected, then learned to love. My tastes as an adult are very different from my tastes as a child. I tried new things and learned to like most of them. Learned to love most of them. No need at all to limit yourself to the things that your taste buds first told you that you liked.

One more thing --- everything that you eat and drink is toxic, if you take too much of it. Even water. Some people like one thing, some don't. No reason to put anyone else's tastes or experimentation down. Be sensible. Enjoy.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:16AM

White Zinfandel was the only wine I could handle at first. And no, you won't get drunk with one glass. Just relaxed and a little buzzed. It's a good feeling.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:21AM

I really liked a harvest Riesling. It was then easy to transitions to regular Riesling and then other white wines. I'm still acquiring a taste for most reds.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 03:52PM

I would also choose a Riesling as a first wine. Perhaps a Rheingau. Have some chocolate with it.

Posted by: non-utard ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 12:45AM

lololol...God love you all, When a large part of the world let there kids have a small glass at the age of twelve (sunday meals ect) Its real cool looking in at your folks reactions to wine, Youre having the same reations that I had at twelve, its real cute reading your reactions coming from thirty, fourty and fifty year olds....good on you all. You don't have to drink.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 04:34PM

Glad we can provide you with so much amusement.

Being that you're so mature and experienced, I'm so thankful for your advice that we don't have to drink. Never would have thought of that myself.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 04:37PM

The irony of seeing "lolololol" written seriously coming in the same post as a comment about maturity comes as some serious irony.

To that I bid my own lolololol.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 04:46PM

Ok, sarcasm off.

I appreciate a lot of the advice here, but I get that we don't have to drink. I'm not the OP, but I did post a drinking question a week or so back and yes, I'm aware that we don't all have to go out and start drinking. It seems whenever an alcohol question comes up, the advice "you don't have to drink" comes up. Uh, ok thanks, got it.

I don't feel pressure to be a good exmo and drink at all. Rather, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I'd like to taste wines and have an occasional drink and decide for myself what I like and don't like. I do admit that it does make me feel like a grown up to be able to drink, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let loose like a college freshman and go on drinking binges.

Posted by: freethought ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 01:28PM

bella10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not a drinker, but would like to try wine.
> For a first time drink would one glass make me
> drunk because I don't want to get drunk I just
> want to try it.

One glass won't get you drunk. Depending on your body weight, you may only begin to have a light buzz. Check out a blood-alcohol level chart:

http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html

For example, a female who weighs about 120 lbs will be in the beginning-buzz range (0.04) with 1 5oz glass of ~13% wine. If you use a standard wine glass, 5oz is where the wine reaches the point of the curve of the glass that is vertical. You can try measuring it (10 tbsp or 150ml) to verify that. If a female is 140 or heavier, 1 glass won't reach the buzz. For someone who has never had alcohol before, they may begin to feel it at .03, but it's next to nothing.

I would say that over 0.04 and under 0.07 is where you want to be for drinking to be pleasurable. You aren't drunk -- your speech will be fine, your balance will be fine, your mental faculties will be fine. In that range you just feel relaxed and feel a mild euphoria.

It is important to measure because you need to count how much you've had, so you can gauge how much to drink without getting smashed (>0.08). And if you go much more beyond 0.12, you may find yourself hugging a toilet later on... :)

For example, I'm male and 210 lbs, so one glass doesn't do anything at all to me. It's the second one (within an hour) that barely begins the buzz, getting me close to .04. Three within an hour gets me in the optimal happy range at 0.055. Then I can have one more an hour later, as my liver processes about 1 unit per hour. So, I can do 3 glasses in the first hour, and then one each hour later to have finished off the bottle in 3 hours without getting smashed and having a pleasurable evening with 4-5 hours of buzz.

> Also, did anyone on here like wine
> the first time they tried it or is it an acquired
> taste?

Depends. If you taste some really bad wine (which is acidic and tastes like fungus barf) you may not like it at all. I've had wine that is excellent, not overly acidic at all, and is quite smooth. I've had wine that is absolutely sickening and taste like barf and made me heave. To me, that's the difference between good wine and bad wine. It's no fun to drink wine that has begun turning into vinegar.

Eating some food that is paired with the wine complements or contrasts the food and allows you to break your tastebuds into the new taste easier. If you have no food, try some sharp cheese that goes with the type of wine. Cheese and wine are very related to each other, both the product of fermentation. Both have similar flavors and complement each other. I've found that some sharp cheese tones down those yucky acidic wines a lot.

Anyway, these are just my observations. I'm in no way an expert, at all. I just started experimenting with wine a few months ago, really. I'm sure more experienced people could correct me on anything I just said. :)

Posted by: freethought ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 01:58PM

Oh, and many may disagree, but the sweet wines seem weird to me. It's weird because something which celebrates the bitter part of your tongue has had sugar added to it. If you can imagine the taste of putting sugar in cheese, green olives, dill pickles, sauerkraut, or kimchi you'll get what I mean. Not everything has to be sweet -- I like a wide palette of taste, and non-sweet things things like cheese, olives, and dill pickles should stay that way. But again, that's just my opinion. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.