Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:47PM

Just wondering as I was raised Catholic myself.What appealed to you about Mormonism as a Catholic and how did you convince yourself to believe in Joseph's story?

To me Catholicism is a discerning and conservative religion so I would find it hard to reconcile the two religions.Joseph's vision and subsequent method of translation of the book seem particularly alien to Catholic tradition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:18PM

The dad of a TBM friend of mine was raised Roman Catholic but converted to Mormonism before marriage; I believe my friend's mom is BIC. According to my friend, her dad attended an LDS church service at the urging of a Mormon friend years ago and "felt the spirit" (her words), so he was inspired to convert. I believe the rest of her relatives on her dad's side are still Catholic, though.

The only members of my family who are converts to Mormonism (two younger cousins in their mid-20s) are, interestingly, among the very few members of my extended family who were NOT raised at least nominally Catholic. These cousins were raised with no religion by a dad who grew up Catholic and a mom who was raised as a Buddhist. Now they are TBMs. Everyone who was raised Catholic is either still Catholic, but not very religious (except some of the older folks), or practices no religion and/or is atheist.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:37PM

I am one.

Raised Catholic, lost my religion at age 15. Believed in God, but lost interest in religion.

When I turned 28, Mormonism found its way into my life. Looking back, I can't say I ever believed the JS story.

I felt that a bunch of things in my life were giving me "signs" that I should convert to Mormonism. And I went with it.

I was never deeply invested. Found out about the Jesus Mall one week after my baptism, so only paid tithing once (though still gave fast offerings when I felt like it. Not much more than I would drop in a Catholic church collection basket after a month of regular attendance).

I saw the church as nothing more than an opportunity to start talking to God again. Once I started doing that, the same "spirit" that told me to get baptized told me to "run!" (hence my name).

As I examine where I truly stand with my testimony, I realize that I was truly a Catholic all along. And still every bit as superstitious and big on "signs" as my Irish Catholic Nana and my French Catholic Grandpa, God rest their souls. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.