Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: All I Wanted Was a Pepsi ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:52PM

When I grew up, I was taught that Emma Smith was a horrible person, at church, YW and Seminary. I grew up being taught that she was an apostate feminist. I was never taught this at BYU or since. Did anyone else grow up in the Morridor learning this about Emma? I have noticed that for the past decade or so, TBM women seem to idolize Emma Smith now. Wasn't she excommunicated, or is that just a rumor?

What I'm wondering is if any of these Ordain Women learned the same thing about her. I doubt it because they seem so shocked that the church is taking action on their feminism. I have been trying to support them by spreading the word, so I am on their side. . .I just am confused as to why if their holiest of holiest's wife was hated for over 100 years for feminism and apostasy, why did they think they would escape this prejudice? When I was TBM feminist with an apostate husband, I was pretty paranoid. When I was a student at BYU and my ward's gospel doctrine teacher, I was really paranoid when I became what TSCC calls an apostate. I thought I would get exed constantly and I finally was disfellowshipped for apostasy. I knew it might be coming and was not shocked at all.

I am just surprised that Kate Kelly said she was shocked when she was informed of her "Court of Love". Was she saying that she was shocked because her bishop had never talked to her about issues before and then just sent this out of the blue, after she moved? I can understand that shock. Or is she saying that she is shocked the church is taking action?

I have a few similar friends to her and some have left TSCC and one was my ex-husband who is an apostate, so I just do not understand her confusion. She has my same group of friends, so certainly she has learned how TSCC operates when concerning feminism and so-called apostasy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:59PM

Cool....that you know her and have the same group of friends. In my opinion, she is just determined for her cause and probably hopeful it could be achieved before they did this to her. But yes, that is probably being a bit naive.

My daughter is the convert and she is on that site Ordainwomen. I was pleased to see that. My daughter needs to get the heck out of that cult. Got in due to love.

Date: June 17, 2014 03:18PM

I don't know her and I am not bragging about having similar friends. I just found out that she was friends with a handful of my exmormon and feminist friends. I knew it would sound like name dropping to do this post, but didn't know how else to say that she has exmormon and apostate friends without giving the lead-in information.

I hope your daughter leaves the cult! It's a good sign that she is on the Ordainwomen site.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:01PM

the GAs in terms of how understanding and compassionate they will be.

Date: June 17, 2014 03:28PM

I just read on another thread that the new TSCC PR woman just said that she didn't believe that John and Kate were shocked when they received their letters, so I'm going to ask Susan to pull my post because I don't want to support TSCC's PR crap. I had no idea TSCC just said this until after I posted.

I do BELIEVE John and Kate were surprised. I was surprised they were surprised and this is what I am trying to say. They both just seem to view their church in a much different light than I view it. I just was mostly wondering if others grew up being taught to hate feminists and Emma Smith the way I did. I was very paranoid as a feminist at BYU, but I was at BYU when during the September Six incident and most of my major's professors were very close with Gail Houston. I would often go to David Cowles and Claudia Harris with femist and doctrinal issues. I was so paranoid about being caught being an apostate or a feminist at that time because I spoke my mind (with one head looking back over my shoulder).

I guess I just come from a much different perspective. Did other people have the same experience as I did while in the morg growing up? Was it just a Morridor thing?

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:29PM

Emma Smith was anti-polygamy and didn't want to follow Brigham Young. BY had a temper and a loose mouth. I'm sure you can put the rest together... they had tit-for-tats and ES becomes the devil incarnate for Utah Mormons.

In some ways I feel sorry for her. She was deceived on so many levels.

Posted by: diverdown ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:08PM

this has nothing to do with this discussion - just wanted to say I like your username. :-)

All I wanted was a Pepsi but she wouldn't give it to me!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:17PM

I think both KK and JD are motivated far more by their egos than their intellect or feelings.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 05:22PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.