Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 11:26PM

...after you've been excommunicated is sorta like continuing to show up at a job from which you've been fired.

I don't know why Kate Kelley would ever want to darken the door of an LDS chapel again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 11:38PM

lol .... especially since you now have a serious case of apostate cooties. Members don't want to associate with you because they don't want to be deemed "guilty by association." The PH continues to monitor your every movement and whether you take the sacrament because you've been banned from doing this, also.

Since you are not allowed to conceal your excommunication, you might as well just stay home rather than endure the year-long scrutiny of the members, their gossip (remind me to write about my visit to a grave yard), and the in-depth interviews from the PH leaders.

I'm not masochistic... I just can bring myself to step inside the door of an LDS chapel.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 08:07PM

I saw some masochist on an LDS-theme FB page talking about how she'd completed her repentance process that Sunday and was just so happy about being re-baptized and this church is true...gag! Man, if someone let me out of a cage, I'd run away, not back to the cage.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 08:17PM

When your family relationships are important to you and they-are-all-uber-TBM's (the family) back 5+ generations, the draw can become near irresistible.

My story: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?3,1275587

I'm still "in" but a total non-believer. I struggle with when to discuss this with DW. We're helping F&MIL during a long period of age related challenges and the time never seems "right".

In the meantime, I am able to support the cog dis I must support for now.

Some days it's all I can do....

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 11:50PM

I don't know of she will ever return. Her words today in this interview and through tears were sharp. Something about being part of an oppressed community. And that her relationship with the church is "tormented".

The negative LDS publicity has been entertaining, but for her the pain is real and raw. Could it be pain of betrayal?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58104587-78/church-kelly-women-ordain.html.csp

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:49AM

Kelly says in this interview that the church is "showing classic behavior of a very aggressive serial abuser.."

You can't keep a good woman down.

She's helped (some) members to be a little less in awe of mormon leaders. That's all to the good.

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:01AM

+ 10....she has helped many to not be fearful of those "powerful men". I applaud her. Someone had to do it.

Posted by: non-utard ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 05:15AM

Read the NY Times.....the cult is taking a beating in the comments section.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:49AM

That was a good observation. "I'm beating you because I love you. This is for your own good."

Classic serial abusive behavior. If anything comes out of this, I hope other people, especially other women, will see that the church is abusive. In SO many ways.

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:14AM

She should do it to make everyone uncomfortable.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:10AM

I think she should dance for joy that she is free of the oppressive CULT. Why should she attend to make other feel uncomfortable? Why waste her life on that crap?

She also isn't pregnant so there's that.......

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:19AM

I think she is a real believer. The best thing for her I think would be to find a denomination where she is valued for what she is and where her talents can be utilized.She is not going to find that in the Morg. Whether she can discard her Mormon mindset in order to do that remains to be seen. Other options are to give up on religion entirely which doesnt seem likely in her case,capitulate,
remain a believer but not go to church, or sit through the block as an ex communicated member. The last is not something Inwould even consider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 01:23AM by bona dea.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 05:09AM

I was thinking much the same thing. Mormons don't realize how weird their church is, because they've never been to any others. Plus, the woman will find out who her real friends are.

Will they do a garment feel to see if she's wearing them and send her home to change?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:01AM

This is one of the reasons I get so frustrated now to see how the church is wasting the talent of women, because I DO attend a denomination where women are as equal as it can get.

In my UU congregation, we have an incredible woman minister. I don't know of any men who are intimidated by that fact. Just because she is so good, so professional, puts us out in the community, not afraid to stand up to speak for us, a wonderful, wonderful, speaker (preacher). Personally, I get way too involved in the church because I can actually volunteer for the things I am interested in. What a difference I feel as a divorced woman in how I am valued now compared to how I was valued, or rather not valued, in the mormon church. Women have held almost every position there is since I've been in the congregation, from president of the board to chairperson of almost every committee (except the men's group).

If Kate Kelly is like some of us, who enjoy having a faith and a spiritual home (no I don't believe I am part of any true church, but I love the culture of church), I hope she searches for a place where she can be valued. She could even attend a UU church and hold to her mormon beliefs. No one would care. But I sure wish mormon women could truly contribute equally, the way I can now. But alas, mormon men could never handle having a woman in a "power and authority" position.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:31AM

Well you don't have to pay tithing and you don't get a calling, like scrubbing toilets.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 08:27AM

Kate's biggest problem is Kate - she still believes the bullshit.

Perhaps this will be her "wake up" call. One can only hope.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 08:35AM

If she continues to attend she legitimises the action taken against her.

Posted by: nodog ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 08:54AM

I don't understand why the bishop felt it necessary to hold her record and do this himself. Had it been me I would have happily just forwarded her records into the next guy and said not my jurisdiction.

This guy really seemed to want to hurt her. Probably because orders came down from the top.

I don't really see how ordain women's ask is that out of order. She just wanted the prophet to pay and see if women should be ordained.

I think the church just doesn't want to confront the question. Kate Kelly was also really agitating. She would only become more aggressive. That is probably why the bishop in was directed to take action. Its okay that you disagree about the church putting thumb tacks on the floor. Just don't complain about it too loudly. Silent prayers only please.

Man I'm glad I'm out of there.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:11AM

Posted by: lumanwalters ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:15AM

I told them that if they moved my desk again, I told them I'd quit. I used to have a desk by my window and there were squirrels and they were a family....I'm just gonna go in here and get my stapler because it's my stapler.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:54AM

Lol!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:54AM

+1, some Office Space hard love

Like showing up to work at a job from which you've been fired.

Date: June 26, 2014 08:05PM

Nobody told the Office Space dude he had been fired. He just assumed that his paycheck was lost.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:11AM

If she likes the BOM and Joseph Smith and all of the stories, why doesn't she join Community of Christ (formerly the reorganized COJCOLDS.) They started ordaining women in the late 80's if I remember right. They have women apostles, pro gay marriage, forward thinking. I'm not putting in a plug for them. Joseph Smith will always be a perverted Conman no matter how he's packaged.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:08AM

I seem to recall having read somewhere that they now consider the BofM to be fiction, but good for inspirational guidance. To their credit, they never accepted the Book of Abraham as scripture.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:09AM

I don't know, are even there are regular meetings there that she can attend?

Date: June 26, 2014 08:06PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:10AM

She will want to attend if she is going to go through their Repentance Process and get her membership and all that means, back.

Otherwise, there is no point.

Posted by: caligrace ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:14PM

One of my college roommate's aunts is Lavinia Anderson, who has continuted in her ward for 20 years. She always said that she wasn't going to be driven out, and the feeling I got was that she felt like she hadn't left her Church, but her Church (hierarchy) had left her. I admire her integrity, though it's not a choice I would make myself.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 10:33PM

I agree. It wouldn't be my choice, but what others do is up to them and they presumably still believe and find some value there. I don't and that is the difference.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 02:01AM

I see it that way too.....why would she want to sit on those hard, hard uncomfortable, hard, let's see, did I say HARD? seats again?

I know for sure I would not.....but then, she is not me and I am not her and hey, if she goes because she feels that she has a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to be there and TO GET THE PRIESTHOOD BACK that women originally were given, well,

GO FOR IT GIRLFRIEND!!! and best of luck to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.