Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrold ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 01:48PM

How many family trees use warm feelings to find ancestors instead of facts. I have seen family trees where someone was supposed to be born before the city existed and where sons were born before their fathers.For parts of my family tree i have seen two completely different versions with completely different people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:11PM

On my family tree there were 3 sibling birth dates that were wrong, and 2 names misspelled. This was all within my family of origin. This record was put together by my mother.

You would think that the mother of these people could get it right. Right?

She also misspelled my kids names and got their birthdates and place of birth wrong. Speaks volumes.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:35PM

I have to laugh at birth dates being wrong. My Dad's mother (nasty old bat) moved mine 10 days in all documents so my older brother's birthday would come first. We were born in the same month 3 years apart, but my actual date was before his. So she moved it. Even on an insurance policy.

It did lead to a fun game when my brother was shredding the last of her estate dubbed "When's your birthday?". As he shredded checks for each year he would call, ask me when my birthday is. I would give him the correct date and he would inform me when Granny sent that check that year.

I'm sure I am wrong in the family bible, but it was sold in a freaking garage sale, so I will never know.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:50PM

I have an ancestor who served as a Hessian soldier during the Revolutionary War. His widow relocated to Canada after the war. My grandmother always told us that we had an ancestor from Holland. Clearly there was some confusion between the word Dutch and the word Deutsch. During World War I, I'm sure it was better to be Dutch than German. The family histories also sanitized the record by saying that our ancestor fought and died in the Revolutionary War. The histories didn't mention that he fought on the side of the British.

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:35PM

Oh thank you for that..... this gave me the biggest laugh I've had so far today and it explains all the BS one can find on the mormon church's geneology site....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they don't seem to be too concerned about proof.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.