Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:40PM

Sat behind a group of newly annointed missionaries on their way out to the field on a United flight out of Salt Lake City. One elder across the aisle ("Elder MTC") spent the short flight preaching to an elderly woman who seemed to hold her own but was ill-prepared for his zeal and scripture memorization.

After the landing, while all waited for their turn to take their luggage and go, the group surrounded her, helping her with her luggage, "love bombing" her. It was such an awkward moment. It was nothing short of sharks sizing up their prey. As the woman walked away, Elder MTC said the words, "I will pray for you" to her followed by Sister BYU Graduate who encouraged her to go watch the movie blockbuster "Meet the Mormons".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 09:42PM by blueskyutah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:00PM

Did they make that little phone hand gesture and say "call me?!" as she scurried away?

Poor lady.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:05PM

It was good that you just sat there and watched it happen.

In other news I saw a kitten getting treated poorly by some teenagers. Poor cat...

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:44AM

abaddon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was good that you just sat there and watched it
> happen.
>
> In other news I saw a kitten getting treated
> poorly by some teenagers. Poor cat...

What the hell? "Poor cat?" Remember it is just a "cat."

Justice for the Gilbert 23. They were more than "just dogs!"

Date: October 21, 2014 01:50PM

Haha. You again?

They are just dogs you animal whack. Lol.

And there was no cat; it was a story i made up to illustrate the silliness of watching the airline passenger be bombarded and doing nothing.

so you can rest easy, if i HAD witnessed cruelty to animals, be they cats or dogs, i would've done something.

But your gilbert 23 memorial is still as lame as ever. My kid stepped on about 13 ants the other day. You want to set up a memorial for the ants? Are dogs better than ants to you?

again...LAME!

haha. But i do hope you have a good day. Seriously, i hope you don't take this internet bantering as any ill will i have for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 01:55PM by abaddon.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 02:20PM

seems kinda silly (and pointless. and misleading.) to make something like that up, especially when there are plenty of real life opportunities to observe
and yeah, lovebombing is nauseating : P blech

Date: October 21, 2014 02:42PM

It was a metaphor dude. Simple as that. And in the context of the conversation, i thought it illustrated rather well.

Sorry it didn't have the same effect on you.

i think it would have been disingenuous to go into great detail and set up the scene on how the cat was being abused. But i didn't.

(Wow, am i really trying to defend this metaphor on the Internet right now, lol. I need to get back to work, haha)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:29PM

No one made anything up.

Of course making things up is often a good idea. That's what fills most of the books and publications in the world.

The point above with the cat? Don't let innocents suffer at the hands of abusive animal torturers or Mormons. Step in and help for goodness sake.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:57PM

I'm actually having fun! I did save a Praying Mantis yesterday by moving it from a park bench to the azaleas behind the bench. I was afraid someone was going to kill it. Praying Mantis' are GOOD insects! :)

But I did kill a big, fat, ugly tomato worm. Cut that sucker in half with my garden clippers.

How's that for some action???

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:08PM

Best they have a big ol taste of fail early on.

Two years on if they make it, they'll remember that first taste.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:50AM

The lady should have developed a terrible headache or a case of needing to rest quick. What was she thinking?

Those poor brainwashed young people who think they are off to save the world, not knowing that they are only being hired to keep a corrupt business rockin' and a rollin'.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:49AM

What kind of stupid twats think it's ok to sit and heckle someone about church shit for an entire flight? Too bad the old lady didn't tell the missionary to piss off and/or report him to the flight crew.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:51AM

They like to prey on women who are alone, regardless of their age. Believe me, I know.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 04:20AM

If I travel by myself, I ALWAYS have my nose in a book, whether in the airport terminal or on the plane. If anyone attempts to engage my attention, I usually respond with "Hmmm." and return pointedly to my book. Sooner or later, they get the point.

It's even easier in international airports. Even if I understand what language they are speaking, I just shrug my shoulders and look bewildered. (Of course, this won't work if they see that the book I'm reading is in English and they speak to me in English. Revert to Behavior #1.)

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:14AM

I wish she'd replied "ok, you pray for me and I'll think for both of us".

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:00PM

"think for both of us" I love it.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:22AM

She should have asked him to join the "mile-high club."

Mishie: What's that - some Denver cult?

THAT would have been an interesting conversation to listen to.

Date: October 19, 2014 12:53PM

If she said it was fine, so be it. Otherwise I would have told those arrogant brats, "This is not your church. Kindly leave this nice lady alone or I'll have to call for security."

Date: October 19, 2014 04:31PM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:48PM

How rude and inconsiderate of the missionaries, and how miserable for that lady. This is the type of things that really runs people off.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:02PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:54PM

...and they wonder why people don't like flying in or out of SLC?
Sheesh.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:01PM

This story makes me sick, in many ways.

Several decades ago, I was a young missionary flying out of SLC to my mission assignment. The challenge was issued to speak to some one on the plane about the MORmON Gospel. I took the challenge seriously. I accepted the challenge. I accomplished the task of the challenge. I talked to a fellow flight passenger about the MORmON church. I harassed someone about MORmONISM at the request of bunch of self infatuated pricks. I was proud of myself at the time. Now, I am sickened by the notion of what I goaded into by the LDS Leadership.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:03PM

I always put in my earphones and order a drink when flying out of Salt Lake. Even if I'm not being bothered by missionaries and members, I don't like to hear the usual priesthood blather from businessmen sitting near me.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:28PM

On Saturday it was still #16 and sitting at approx. 4.5 million in revenues. My guess is that by the end of November it'll be approx. 6.5 million in revenues and move up from #115 to #110 on the year 2014 blockbusters list ;)

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2014-10-18&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=meetthemormons.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?page=2&view=releasedate&view2=domestic&yr=2014&p=.htm

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 01:20AM

Why make anything up?

What is done is Dunn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.