Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 02:05PM

Simply...stunningly...un-effing-believable!!!

Those lying sacks-of-geriatric-sh*ts!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 02:08PM

So it seems to me too...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 02:08PM

Sigh.
Take pretty much everything after the header "The Manifesto" in that essay, and understand that it was all refuted by D. Michael Quinn some time ago. Pretty much everything in the essay after that header is a lie.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 02:40PM

I guess I'll wait for the Mormonthink rebuttal.

Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 03:23PM

This is so mealy-mouthed. Neither of the essays address or admit the rampant dishonesty involved with this stuff.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 03:40PM

The articles are getting longer, though. I guess we're in the second wave now.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 04:07PM

And I guess we'll have to wait for the sequel to hear their explanations on that issue. Those interested can research the Smoot hearings...

At that below-the-radar lunch held during the Exmormon Conference--both "RFM Jesuses" appeared, but we only had nine witnesses and not the requisite eleven, had a couple of no-shows unfortunately, so it might not count--I complimented Will Bagley on a really astute insight he made about Wilford Woodruff and the 1890 Manifesto a few weeks ago on a local radio show.

Will noted that the fourth LDS President was absolutely convinced the Second Coming was imminent, and so he didn't think telling people to obey the law of the land was any big deal.

How imminent? Well, when I mentioned "years," he corrected me and said Woodruff thought it would be a matter of months.

Obviously Jesus got stuck in a celestial traffic jam somewhere, and Bagley added that after a few years the women were so opposed to the practice there was no way the church could endorse it any longer.

That squares with stories from my own family; the scuttle is the happiest day of my great-great grandmother's life was the day her husband's first wife died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 04:08PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:12PM

"Will noted that the fourth LDS President was absolutely convinced the Second Coming was imminent, and so he didn't think telling people to obey the law of the land was any big deal."

"How imminent? Well, when I mentioned 'years,' he corrected me and said Woodruff thought it would be a matter of months."

------------

I think Woodruff was taking D&C 130:15 literally, and he wasn't alone at the time in his belief. (That verse is the "85 years old" prophecy; they figured, I suppose, that Jesus could have pulled any old number out, but for some reason he picked 85, so it *had* to mean something...)

Posted by: Peter Dumpty ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 10:45PM

The Church article didn't explain the seemly false statment from the BOM as to the D&C commandment to practice polygamy:
"the Lord gives no commandment save he prepares a way to accomplish it: 1 Ne. 3:7". How did the Lord prepare the way for the saints in the 1800s to practice polygamy? Seems he was again asleep at the wheel - for the multi millionth time we have records of!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:42AM

mormonthinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.lds.org/topics/the-manifesto-and-the-e
> nd-of-plural-marriage?lang=eng

on the top of the yahoo homepage newsfeed today,along with the black sistah's book and the garments pr. So. lotta views!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.