Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 10:55PM

I know my views are not those of a lot of religious people. I didn't realize that euthanasia is such a strong topic for some. I applaud Brittany Maynard's decision and action.

Now during the discussion w/the TBM (I never knew specifically the church's stance) I found out that TSCC is totally against euthanasia. My own grandmother was suffering from diabetes at the end of her life and was suffering so overdosage of morphine and probably other narcotics expedited her death. At least she died sooner and with less pain and suffering.

So if a person allows a partner or a parent to right to die with dignity, do they (the family) or the doctor if LDS have to go through church discipline. Is it handled as a murder or manslaughter by inaction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 11:53PM

My experience is that if the person choses to cease medical treatment, stops taking medication or choses to take someone off life support the church deems that a personal matter.

If a person choses to end their lives by taking a poison, it is considered suicide and a sin.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 12:02PM

If a person kill themselves by shedding their blood are they forgiven the sin through blood atonement? Just a question that popped into my head while reading and thinking about this. I knew a friend who shot himself and maybe I should have brought this up then but did not think to do it. This guy had been through the temple and all. Man, this was thirty-seven years ago.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 12:09PM

This is an area that religion should avoid.

The biggest problem is that people considering this should have expert advice from a medical professional. DIYers have a tendency to screw up the suicide with very bad consequences.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 12:52PM

Ha. I thought you were talking about "youth in Asia." My bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.