Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 02:47PM

Compare this...

"President Boyd K. Packer said: “A testimony is to be found in the bearing of it. Somewhere in your quest for spiritual knowledge, there is that ‘leap of faith,’ as the philosophers call it. It is the moment when you have gone to the edge of the light and step into the darkness to discover that the way is lighted ahead for just a footstep or two.” 18 "
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2000/10/pure-testimony?lang=eng

To this...

"Their case, as has been amply proved by these recapitulations to-night, is a very lame case indeed. The few new facts which the Debate has elicited from that side of the House have been used by them, as was said in another connection, as a drunken man uses lampposts—more for support than for illumination."
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/01/15/stats-drunk/

I can imagine "gaining a testimony" in the LDS Church is like being drunk on the wine of "The Restoration" and slowly walking to the edge of the light of your family and friends Liahona Lamppost, stumbling in the dark and finding another Liahona Lamppost out there in Mormonism and clinging to it for support more than what it illuminates for you in this world of ours.

Daniel Peterson seems to have found a Liahona Lamppost in science. He sounds more drunk than enlightened by this lamppost.

"It is not that I am anti-science. Years after giving up my youthful plans to be either a pure mathematician or a theoretical physicist, I still read somewhat in these and related fields. Besides, as will be shown, I do not limit my skepticism to the biological and physical sciences. Nor am I even remotely a relativist or a nihilist. But I think it critically important to maintain a certain humility before the complexities of the cosmos and the obscurities of history. Doubt can be an eloquent invitation to think, as René Descartes might have noted. And it is not at all clear that a science built upon crudely materialistic presuppositions will ever be able to deliver the exhaustive explanation of the entire cosmos that, as voices from some quarters constantly assure us, is just around the corner--despite the fact that reductionist scientism appears to derive a great deal of its authority among laypeople from precisely this unsubstantiated promise."
http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1442&index=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 02:48PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 04, 2014 02:52PM

Strange portfolio for a man of science and a professor of language.

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/people/daniel-c-peterson/

Oh, this is a man using his light of knowledge more for support than for enlightenment.

Date: November 04, 2014 07:46PM

topping for Daniel C. Peterson. Danny Peterson. Denial "Ya see here" Peterson.

And why not put all the clowns in the car.

A

Richard Lloyd Anderson
Michael R. Ash

B

James L. Barker
Kevin L. Barney
Barry R. Bickmore
S. Kent Brown
A. Dean Byrd

C

Orson Scott Card

D

John Dehlin

E

Jim Engebretsen

G

Brant Gardner
John Gee

G cont.

Michael T. Griffith

H

William J. Hamblin
Jeffrey R. Holland
Paul Y. Hoskisson
Milton R. Hunter

K

Francis W. Kirkham

L

Jeff Lindsay (engineer)

M

Truman G. Madsen
James McLachlan (editor and professor)

N

Hugh Nibley

P

Daniel C. Peterson
Parley P. Pratt

R

B. H. Roberts
Stephen E. Robinson

S

Gilbert W. Scharffs
John L. Sorenson
Sidney B. Sperry

T

James E. Talmage
John Taylor (Mormon)
Richard E. Turley, Jr.

W

John W. Welch
John A. Widtsoe
Richard I. Winwood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mormon_apologists

Maybe the dead can read Rfm too?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:53PM

There once was an Elder named Boyd
Who was concerned where young men toyed.
A talk produced he
About a "Little Factory"
Killed what many a fellow enjoyed!

The Boner.

Date: November 05, 2014 11:50AM

Packer is using his testimony lamppost for supporting his little factor theory of sinning instead of using it to illuminate members on how to be better people. Who cares if their factories over produce throw away product? This isn't testimony grade inspirational material for keeping his lamppost lit.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:37PM

"And it is not at all clear that a science built upon crudely materialistic presuppositions will ever be able to deliver the exhaustive explanation of the entire cosmos that, as voices from some quarters constantly assure us, is just around the corner..."

(Daniel C. Peterson)

Let's ignore the fact that he starts with a straw-man (science isn't built on any presuppositions, let alone "materialistic" ones -- it just goes with the evidence)...

Peterson's "solution" to science not knowing everything seems to be, "Let's instead irrationally believe in a bunch of made-up nonsense, much of which is proven false, instead of honestly admitting there are things we don't know yet like science does."

What a cult tool he is.

Date: November 05, 2014 12:45PM

And he claims he wanted to go into Math or Physics but he went into languages and spent most of his time defending Mormonism.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:56PM

Methinks if Sgt Pecker lives long enough, he will see the lampposts of SLC put to another use when the saints arise and bring with them lots of rope.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:19PM

This is where the Morg shows its true cult trappings--don't you ever dare to doubt!

In a recent discussion with an Episcopal priest friend, I mentioned that often I have doubts about the existence of God. His response--that's probably healthy. No forced belief, no judgment. I do not doubt my doubts--I embrace them as reality checks. In my inner core values there is a belief in deity that informs my best actions. I acknowledge both of these as making me the man that I am. Unlike my former Mo persona, I'm comfortable living in a paradox of faith and disbelief. Boner.

Date: November 05, 2014 01:23PM

True illumination shines on believers and doubters the same. Only Mormons have light that only shines on them when they believe/testify without belief. It is called darkness to people who know what illumination is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.