Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 01:04AM

dinners? My ward's doing their Christmas breakfast party on December 13. It's at 9am. My TBM dad is upset as he's never missed a ward Christmas party before. He's got to be at work during the party.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 12:26PM

The last ward I was in never did a Christmas dinner, they always did a breakfast. The other ward that met in that building did a dinner but they were far wealthier and I have to think that had something to do with it.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 12:28PM

Yes! The ward I'm "supposed" to be going to is have Breakfast with Santa at 9 am. I didn't know it was a trend. ;)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 12:50PM

The fact that ward dinners cost money = no Christmas dinner.

NO BRAINER!!!

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 01:04PM

I can see serving breakfast food, but why not have the party at night?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 02, 2014 01:38PM

The only thing I remember is that the ward I attended had a dinner, but it was strictly potluck. That was about 13 years ago, in a middle class ward, but I don't know if they still do the dinner thing these days. Many of the families who lived there were hit hard by the recession, so the wards that used the building were combined as so many people left as when people lost jobs, they also lost their homes from foreclosure.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 12:44AM

Ha huh ha ha ha ha. FIL texts us saying they are having a ward breakfast for Christmas tomorrow morning. Says that it's kind of odd to have a breakfast instead of a dinner.

Should I tell him I already heard about this on RFM 10 days ago?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 10:24AM

My question in all of this is why do you have to or want to wait for the WARD to do this? Why don't you or the members who want to have a xmas social, just plan and have one with their friends?

Date: December 13, 2014 10:54AM

The ward consists of many friends. They are neighbors and do a bunch of stuff together including callings. I'm sure wards vary, but the one I'm "in" now are all about the same age with kids about the same age. They are literally each other's friends.

Edit: added "" to suggest that I'm not active! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 10:55AM by hausfrau.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 12:13PM

Understood, but with many or some waiting for the WARD to do this, when they can do it themselves...

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 12:18PM

My parents' ward is doing a Christmas luau, for the second or third time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 01:04PM

'Swedish' pancakes are O.K., I don't know how the Norwegians 'lost' that one.

need: Plenty of fruit: strawberries, lingenberries, bananas, blueberries, etc etc.

also: "All You Can Eat" per person; proceeds to food bank/food pantry/homeless.

Date: December 13, 2014 01:11PM

Well I missed it this morning. Nobody from the ward called or came by . My TBM dad and TBM Baby sister are both at work. At least I got to enjoy the quiet house instead of a noisy gym decorated in cheap paper tablecloths and not much Christmas decor!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 01:19PM

Our former ward has done this for several years but they make it into a "day of service." Breakfast first, then the next four hours you have your choice of service projects - there are usually about 6-8 total. In the past, you could volunteer to:

Write Christmas letters and decorate cards for missionaries from the ward who were serving in the field.

Do the bishop's yard work

Quilt - quilts to be given to whatever local charity

Assemble hygiene bags for the homeless shelter (according to the Church welfare guidelines - I don't even know if they were helpful to the shelter.)

Paint blocks as Christmas gifts for homeless kids

Help some ward kid do whatever to get his Eagle Scout (bring food for his food drive, bring soccer equipment for another boy's collection for kids in Nigeria, bring diapers and wipes for the homeless shelter - whatever the boy was doing for his Eagle Scout project.)

I suppose having the service in there made the cheap breakfast better somehow but I never thought it was a bad idea to just have a fun, social Christmas party for the ward to socialize. A lot of religion is about having a social group you belong to and making it all work and no fun seemed counterproductive. Especially when, you can see, the service projects weren't all that great to begin with - more like token efforts.

Date: December 13, 2014 06:15PM

What a bait and switch!! Come for the breakfast and socialize, then stay for one of the many lame service projects!!

Date: December 13, 2014 01:31PM

whatever it is... Mos are likely to exploit it, starhting with Sister Sobs doing one of her 'heartfelt' prayers.

then, they'll "dedicate" the event to spreading/teaching-reinforcing 'the gospel'.

bank on it.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 01:40PM

In the Morridor town where I currently live, at least two wards had their Christmas "parties" at 9 AM this morning. I did not attend, but heard that one offered a breakfast burrito buffet and church music performed by local students. My guess is that members are contributing ingredients for the breakfast buffet so the ward doesn't have to pay for anything.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 03:18PM

SMH the cult is getting cheaper every year.

They do nothing for members any more, yet they still expect everyone to attend tithing settlement?
Unbelievable nerve!

Let's hope everyone wises up and gives Mormonism the spiritual middle finger.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 03:50PM

Ah darn, I missed the ward breakfast party this morning, so sad, oh wait I got to sleep in and my husband made me breakfast. I think I got the better end of the stick.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 06:06PM

Last Christmas Ward party - a Wear your Pajamas to Breakfast Christmas Party.

It was the tackiest experience I can remember and some folks took it literal. GAWD!

Date: December 13, 2014 06:19PM

That was the theme for my daughter's 2nd birthday party I had today. ;)

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 06:23PM

Might be cute to see 2 year old's in pajamas.

Not cute to see grown adults wearing pj's in public.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 08:52PM

. . . with garments underneath.

Date: December 13, 2014 09:49PM

in the ward Christmas parties I've been to, the members brought food, so that didn't impact 'the budget'; a Pot Luck kinda deal which are usually more fun/surprise anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.