Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notinkansas ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:04PM

Okay so I'm relatively new to these boards, and it appears that there's no real organization of exmo's that I can find in the D.C. area.

I'll just say that this board has been an absolute incredible and invaluable resource to me, and I think that you all are wonderful. I would really like to meet some of you folks and perhaps forge some honest, and meaningful friendships.

Not really sure how to organize something, but perhaps this might be a place to start for ideas and such.

By the way...my real name is Rachel. :) My email address is rachiesimon@gmail.com, and I've created a Facebook group--link here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/907252435981468/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:06PM by notinkansas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:15PM

Hey Rachel,

I know there are some of us around this area. I am in NOVA. I wouldn't mind going to a local meetup if one happens.

Date: January 29, 2015 05:18PM

Hi Wanderinggeek,

I just made a Facebook group called Ex-Mormon Recovery, Washington, D.C.

Join on up! :)

Should also mention...I'm in Woodbridge :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 05:25PM by notinkansas.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:24PM

While I'd love too. I have an over bearing at times TBM spouse. Who got upset when she saw I had like a few exmo podcast's. So being a member of that group would just start a fire. But I'll keep my eyes and ears open if I hear of a get together.

(It sucks when you have to worry about other people like this and can't just be who you are......ahhhh)

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:18PM

I'm sorry. I grew up in Manassas.

Date: January 29, 2015 07:22PM

That's unfortunate, but I understand. If I get anyone to join the group and get something up and running, I'll post to the board.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:31PM

link, please?

Posted by: NOVAnon ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:42PM

There is already a fairly well established group in the DC area, including a FB group. I recommend you find a way to link up with them instead of starting something new. Perhaps someone here can steer these people in the right direction?

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:21PM

There's this group with 176 members - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcmormonstories/

Date: January 29, 2015 08:58PM

Here's the link for the group I created--I'd love to know if there's already one in DC.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/907252435981468/

Date: January 29, 2015 09:58PM

Happy to have you!

I will try and track down this 'other' group that's been mentioned to exist. Once I do, I'll let everyone know in the group I've created the information, if they'd like to join that one as well.

Posted by: GoingGoingNotGoneYet ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:37PM

I just requested membership in your group. I am not in the DC area at present but was baptized in Chevy Chase and married in the DC temple. I am hoping that some of my old-time friends have seen the light, left the church, and joined your group.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:59PM

NOVA here. thanks for the FB group link!

Date: January 29, 2015 10:01PM

Looks like most of us are in NoVA (I actually am too)!

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:10PM

So we need to get together and have a drinking game during conference.

Every time a pompous ass says "even" (for example: "in the name of the savior, even jesus christ...") we take a shot.

Any more ideas for a shot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:10PM by reuben.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:20PM

Haha, I'm sure we can all come up with something creative.

I'm going to start actively recruiting from other sites/forums/groups and look for people who are in the DC/NoVA area...of course, in between my downtime and studies! :)

I figure, or I hope anyway--that we will/can have a robust group by the spring...and it can take on a life of its own!

One door closes, and another one opens. If for whatever reason anyone feels uncomfortable with joining the group (it is a closed group, btw), go ahead and send me an email, and I will add you as a personal friend and I'll be sure to post about any get-togethers that will come down the pipeline so that you're not left out of the loop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.