Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 08:44AM

In doing a search for "the essays" on lds.org, I came across this painting on the "widow's mite". This LDS version of the story, done as a painting, struck me as being pretty awful, as was the accompanying article.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/sister-burton-use-resources-to-improve-learning-and-teaching-?cid=HPWE110514460&lang=eng

"But as we think about what the young mother is doing, giving two mites, all she has, surrounded by her onlooking hungry children, the lesson becomes poignant as she who has very little gives all she has to help others."

To me it seemed that Jesus and the disciples should be coming over to STOP her from giving her last farthing, and should be GIVING HER support instead. But no, they're just kinda hanging back there, probably rubbing their itchy fingers together, with the key to that great big padlock resting securely in their pocket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt nli ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 08:48AM

The key to making money from religion is to not have a problem with taking money from the poor.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 09:02AM

It is not unlike Bill Murray withdrawing all his money and then betting it on the horses and losing. Same thing: Give all my money to the church and hope for a miracle that I'll have food for my kids.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 09:15AM

I need a barf bag after viewing that article and the painting.

Money, money, money.

Don't forget to pay your tithing FIRST, forget your own need of food, shelter, utilities, etc.

Yeah, riiiiiight. :(

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 10:20AM

Actually, pre-welfare state US society, the poor tended to look after each other more. In LDS, the TSCC becomes the intermediary of largesse. Nowadays, it's the government.

In both cases, comfortable elites take a big cut for themselves, then disperse the resources as they deem best. One says, "Of course, I expect you to join up, and be loyal and obedient." The other says, "Of course, we expect you to vote and keep us in office." Both say, "You wouldn't want anything to happen to you!"

If you're on the assets side of the equation, there are unfortunate consequences if you don't pay up, be it the tithe or your taxes.

Also noxious about the painting is Christ's halo.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 10:26AM

This painting is intended to appeal to young, single mothers. They need to pay their tithing before they feed their children.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 10:46AM

It's not HER money, it's the children's food money. Wilful neglect. Cult first, children's survival second. All so the Brethren can say "Let's go shopping!"

The Muckety Mucks can't even share their candy nicely (the 3lbs of Cummings Chocolates they get GIVEN to them each week), pulling rank to get at the best choccies first. Every man for himself and none left for the plebs!

Posted by: freethought ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:50PM

The widow's mite is one of the scripture stories which is most blatantly taken out-of-context by tscc. Jesus wasn't commending the widow at all, he was bashing the "scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts: Which devour widows’ houses" for taking "all that she had, even all her living." It sickens me that tscc corporation can deceive so many with their gross interpretation. It sickens me that they willfully make single mothers and poor widows give their last farthing instead of buying shoes for their kids. Chalk that up to just one more thing Jesus would not approve of in the church he is supposed to be leading.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:06PM

Such a misinterpretation of scripture! Nothing to do about paying tithing.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:20PM

"Nowadays, it's the government." - In the Moridor, they are one in the same.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:32PM

I NEVER thought of the widow as having kids! I always pictured her as old and her family long gone. But TSCC makes her about 25 as propaganda.

freethought is right: Jesus is pointing out how the bigshots are living off the widow's mite, not that she is going to receive blessings (although she certainly expects to) but she's "following the law".

Also, ironically, this section of the New Testament specifically says that no one is married in heaven because they're angels! Uh....TSCC, whaddya say about that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.