Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deet ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:20AM

Researchers from Canada have proven that something is different about Mormons, and even those who do not subscribe to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can see it.

- See more at: http://universe.byu.edu/2015/04/28/skin-texture-glow-distinguishes-mormons-from-others/#sthash.XQQB53AD.tPIkBIRF.dpuf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:25AM

It's all that white bread.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:35AM

Mormons either have that virginal glow or that patriarchal glower -- with few variations in between.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:08PM

It's from being good. Is being good a bad thing?
When a person loses their innocence/virginity outside of marriage they take on a darker spirit (happens every time). That has nothing to do with Mormonism .

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:17PM

I don't believe in spirits, dark or otherwise, but if someone feels badly about their choices, it could show on their face. Somehow most people who sleep with someone they aren't married to manage to feel just fine and their glow is very much intact.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:19PM

How would you know? Have you taken on a darker spirit?

Date: May 02, 2015 04:21PM

You know what actually gives people a darker spirit?

Looking down at others and claiming they have darker spirits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 04:23PM by nonsequiter.

Date: May 02, 2015 04:55PM

Poopstone:

When I was a Mormon I was "branded" as a dark spirit - a so-called "Lamanite." I find your remarks about dark spirits totally insulting, whether or not someone loses their virginity or not.

Just the whole idea of your labeling anyone a "dark spirit" shows you to be an insufferable, judgmental bigot.

Who made you the arbiter of good and evil?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 05:05PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:38AM

I have divided science into "hard science" and "squishy science."

But I can't make this study even reach the "squishy science" level! It bugged me that there appears to be no effort to ID or 'quantify' what it is that makes mormons 'shine.' Personally I think it's a residue that attaches from all turd-polishing they do.

Date: May 02, 2015 02:36PM

I think its from sexual frustration.... they can never be free to do what they really want , they have to follow puritanical rules.
No tounge???? Oh please.

Posted by: Deet ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:38AM

I wish I could lose the glow.
I live in Utah Valley and left the church 20 years ago but people still think I have the glow.
I'd hoped coffee would help, but they assume it's hot chocolate.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:45AM

I think it's their naivete that showing through. They have a tendency to hold their facial muscles in a way that's different from other people. It's a cross between naivete, and artificial smiles. Some can maintain this look 24/7. Add the weird voice inflections, and you have yourself a mormon. I have noticed that the Duggars have also taken on the look.

Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:56AM

That's weird. My skin has gotten clearer and smoother AFTER I left. I've upped my skincare routine, though, so maybe that's cheating.

Date: May 02, 2015 11:59AM

My skin got clearer too. Must have been all the sex I was having after I left my Mormonism and virginity behind. Talk about glowing!

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:04PM

It's that sparkly vampire glow, blood sucking from each other. GAs and MLM starters are extra sparkly.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:13PM

If it's true that mormons glow, why do those old farts put on 20 lbs. of stage makeup for conference?

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:38PM

It comes from taking Xanax with caffeine free drinks.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:00PM

its all the exercise they give their facial muscles when trying to cope with cognitive dissonance - gives them this 'just had my skin peel' look.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:11PM

Is the researcher sure people weren’t just looking for the garment lines?

Seriously though, I can spot my grumpy old Mormon neighbor from a block away. With his bow legs and premature solid white hair. He hunches his shoulders over and looks at the ground while he walks like a subdued little boy. And he always has that little rain cloud over him like those characters in the comic books. He’s a miserable old fart, always chewing away on his plot. Very distinguished indeed!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:54PM

My mother, who was never a very good Mormon, used to say that "they look like they wouldn't say shit, if their mouth was full of it!"

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:36PM

Published where??

Link didn't work. Does it work for anyone else?

Because, you know, we should just take it on faith that it was real.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:48PM

It hit my google.news 'mormon' feed yesterday:

http://universe.byu.edu/2015/04/28/skin-texture-glow-distinguishes-mormons-from-others/

But like you, when I actually hit the link the above article provides (http www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov pubmed 21151864) it took me to my wifi providers "what the hell is that supposed to mean?" page...

Date: May 02, 2015 02:54PM

That is the shortcut to bull shit page.

Date: May 02, 2015 03:12PM

When you commented the shortcut, I noticed that the " :// " was missing. They just screwed it up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov pubmed 21151864

Date: May 02, 2015 03:14PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 03:21PM

The actual study claims that the ability to distinguish mormons from non-mormons comes from "perception of health."

So I wonder, if they'd put my very TBM uncle, currently suffering from cancer, in the mix if he'd be picked out as a mormon...since he doesn't look at all healthy.

It also says that the ability to pick out mormons (which, while better than chance, was far from perfect -- and in fact, the study says that the actual accuracy of people deciding did not match their perceived accuracy, they did worse in reality than they thought they did) was due to "skin color and texture;"

So it's very likely nobody picked out black, brown, or "yellow" people as "mormons." Only the "white and delightsome."

Sheesh.

Date: May 02, 2015 03:40PM

They used only Caucasian pictures, but yes. Abstaining from alcohol, caffeine and tobacco leads to better health, which is perceived as a Morman trait.

Posted by: never again ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 03:51PM

is the Mormon glow anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWF5-jw_W9s

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:07PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 04:09PM by poopstone.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:12PM

Mormons have better health!!???...I tracked down my mormon " friends" from 30 years ago and saw they looked very tired.

Dark circles around eyes...almost a " please help me I am desperate" look.

Very tired and very much wanting it to end look.

And my other friend must be addicted to " laying out in the sun" behavior, because her skin looked awful....reddish tan...but way more reddish than tan.

I disagree with the " mormon glow"

Date: May 02, 2015 04:21PM

Most of the mormons I know are over weight and drink soda all day, cant even jog a mile without feinting or walking and becoming weary... Hardly the models of "good health" which they claim to be since they refuse to drink coffee and tea which are actually good for you.

So much for section 89's promises

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:41PM

That's true about some Mormons I've known, as they often drink more soda than water, and refuse to drink coffee or tea which is actually healthier.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:53PM

It's from feeling good. Ignorance is bliss. Something seems a little off about glorying in willful ignorance, but that seems to be the way people are wired.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:07PM

My friends boyfriend pointed out everyone who he thought was Mormon and without even knowing it he was right. I think it is part of looking "innocent" or "naive". Dh and I went shoppen and we both said that that couple in front of us looked lds. Well I looked at her pants and found the garment line we were right and I am still a creep for looking at underwear lines lol.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:01PM

A lot of the mormons I know have that "glow", but I suspect that a lot of that comes from the fact it's true that a lot of Scandinavians came over in the 1800's with really good skin. My TBM brother and his family have the usual English/Scottish "meh" skin.

I also noticed that the survey said 60%.....that pretty close to 50/50, so...uhhh...not that great....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:16PM

I eat whole grain bread and drink dark beer & Crown Royal Black....no glow happening here...just sayin'...lol

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.