Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 01:12AM

Heaven forbid that sensibilities be offended.

Contrast the Dew/Watson possibilities with this historical tidbit from mormon history:

The "David and Jonathan" of the Primary: Louisa "Louie" B. Felt and May Anderson

Indeed at least one Mormon woman went so far as to request that her husband marry polygamously after she fell in love with another woman, so that the two women could openly live together. Sarah Louisa Bouton married Joseph Felt in 1866 as his first wife but according to a 1919 biography, around 1874, Louie (the masculinized nickname she used) met and "fell in love with" a young woman in her local LDS congregation named Alma Elizabeth (Lizzie) Mineer.[10] After discovering her intense passion for Lizzie Mineer, a childless Louie encouraged Joseph to marry the young woman as a plural wife, explaining "that some day they would be privileged to share their happiness with some little ones." Joseph married Lizzie Mineer in 1876.

But Lizzie's new responsibilities of bearing and raising children evidently proved too great a strain for her and Louie's relationship.

Five years later Louie Felt fell in love with "another beautiful Latter-day Saint girl" named Lizzie Liddell, and again Joseph obligingly married her for Louie's sake. Thus Louie "opened her home and shared her love" with this second Lizzie.[11]

In 1883, 33 year old Louie Felt met 19 year-old May Anderson, and they also fell in love. This time, however, May did not marry Joseph Felt. In 1889 May moved in with Louie, and Joseph permanently moved out of the house Louie had built and bought on her own.[12]

Thus began one of the most intense, stable, and productive love relationships in turn-of-the-century Mormonism. These two women lived together for almost 40 years, and together presided over three of Mormonism's most significant institutions: the General Primary Association (for Mormon children), the Children's Friend (a magazine for young Mormons), and founding the Primary Children's Hospital.[13]

Louie and May were fairly open about the romantic and passionate aspects of their relationship, as reported in their biographies published in several early issues of the LDS Children's Friend. According to their recent biographer, Felt and Anderson's relationship was a "symbiotic partnership with each compensating for the weaknesses and complementing the strengths of the other".

The 1919 Children's Friend biography more bluntly declared that "the friendship which had started when Sister Felt and [May Anderson] met...ripened into love. Those who watched their devotion to each other declare that there never were more ardent lovers than these two". The same biography also calls the beginning of their relationship a "time of love feasting", and makes it clear that the two women shared the same bed.[14]

Twice in the Children's Friend, Anderson and Felt were referred to as "the David and Jonathan" of the Primary, which, the magazine explained, was a common appellation for the women. For centuries, the biblical characters David and Jonathan have been classic signifiers of male-male desire and homoeroticism, because in the Hebrew scriptures, it was written in 2 Samuel 1:26 that upon Jonathan's death in battle, David lamented, "very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women."[15]

http://www.connellodonovan.com/lgbtmormons.html (a very lengthy compilation of LGBT history and issues in mormonism. The Felt/Anderson story is roughly about three 'pages' into the treatise.)

So apparently there didn't used to be a closet! What a concept!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:26AM

Actually from other reports I read, Louisa & May denied being in a relationship, & insisted they were only good friends. So, who knows what the real story is!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 01:00PM

What reports are you referring to Tristan? Do you have a link ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:39PM

I tried to track down what I had read, & it turns out that 1 of the sources was a total white-washing on Wikipedia. & I can't even begin to remember where I thought I had read that they had actually denied being together. I do remember that it wasn't actual quotes though. So I'm assuming that it was just more white-washing.

Here is the straight-washing on Wikipedia by TBMs —

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Anderson

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_B._Felt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 02:43PM by Tristan.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:51PM

Yeah white washing by TBM's... Thank you Tristan.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:49AM

There are reports that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of ghawd and that only Jesus has done more for humanity. So I get where you're coming from.

Might as well just flip a coin...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.