Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:24PM

So, I've been reading this blog out there is cyberspace, and one of the commenters saw an opening to talk about her beliefs

exhibit 1:
I absolutely LOVE you for posting this and making me cry with joy for a renewed appreciation for my theology. THANK YOU!

I absolutely KNOW you will be with Henry again. And after reading so much about him, I am anxious to meet him someday. I hope he will play his guitar and let me sing along.

I am going to share with you something I just wrote to a friend on facebook. I know it is going to open a can of worms, but I am pretty sure you are cool with that. But it just goes so well with what you have said here.

Jen (you may not know this but I have a cousin who is gay) as Linda has mentioned. I LOVE John. I think he is one of the most remarkable human beings I know. As I love others who are dear friends who have also chosen the path of homosexuality. I truly love them. I am not just saying that to sound trite. I respect your right to stand on that side of this issue, as I am grateful that you respect my right to stand on this side of the issue. My stand has nothing to do with MY feelings about homosexuality. In fact, if I were more righteous I may have more of a problem with it, but really I don’t have a problem with it. My stand has to do with what I believe about God and His plan for the children of men. Linda is right that she is not gonna change my mind. She understands my belief as it is the belief that she has rejected. I respect her for researching both sides before she chose one or the other. I believe I understand both sides also, but I choose to stand firm in my faith even if that makes some people think that I am old fashioned. I also choose to live in a gospel that only gives the Priesthood to men. I believe in the beauty of the plan. This does not make me a bigot or a homophobe, it makes me a faithful Latter-day Saint. What you are is up to you and I 100% support you in your ability to choose. Do I like what you choose? No, but I respect it because that is the right thing for me to do within the parameters of God’s plan. Philosophically speaking, you cannot compare gay rights to womens rights as if I don’t believe in gay marriage I also don’t believe in a woman’s right to choose. I am pretty sure that God never intended for women to be suppressed, just as he doesn’t want gays to be suppressed, but He doesn’t let US determine the laws..they are eternal. And every blessing has a law that it is predicated upon. I am grateful to have an eternal family. I am truly grateful for the law of celestial marriage. I also want John and all my other gay friends to have the blessings of this law, but their choice to reject it is their choice, and I respect that. I just wish that other people understood what I am trying to protect with my stance on the issue. I am trying to protect MY belief in letting God dictate the laws, which means I reject your belief that says that you can dictate them by your choice. I am trying to protect the right of my children to have the same blessings I do…to be married in a temple of God and to be sealed to their family for time and all eternity…I don’t want gay rights to steal that away from them because it is VITAL to my happiness and theirs.

Please Discuss -

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:37PM

Ah yes, it's the old "if I give them rights, I lose mine".

That is what is called the scarcity syndrome where people think that by another succeeding will take away from their own success.

So, by Gays getting rights and having marriage away from you and your faith community, how does that affect your ability to go to the temple away from their way of life?

Tonight in New York, Times Square will host all manner of wickedness, the likes of which you have never imagined, and yet in the same city there is an operating temple where people make covenants to live the law of chastity.

Right now you can legally rent a prostitute or marry your underage girlfriend in Nevada- and the Las Vegas temple is in full swing with people getting sealed for time and eternity, and while the prostitues are legally engaging in immorality, 12 year olds are being baptized for the dead in the same city.

And yesterday in St.George Lost Boys engaged in prostitution and drug dealing because they have no other way to earn a living, and polygamists are secretly using that temple and still my marriage is valid.

So how has any of this affected your rights to live the gospel?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 10:14AM

What I think she and people like her are afraid of is that there will be fewer partners available for Mormon marriage if people drop out of the church to become homosexuals (remember, she believes this is a choice).

Personally, I would like it if there were fewer marriages in Mormon temples because of homosexuality, but I don't think that will be the deciding factor when determining where and how to marry.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:44PM

They're terrified that other people are having more fun than they are. And the fact is, most of 'em are. ;)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:45PM

Sorry, the ol' police interceptor stalled out with that "dear friends who have chosen the path of homosexuality." And I can't get it started...

People like that first have to prove to me they shouldn't be on meds...

Years ago I posted a recommendation that if anyone had any gay issues they should spend a few years as a cabbie... You may acquire some prejudices, but it won't be in that direction. After waitresses/food servers, they're my favorite fares...

What this ding dong doesn't get is it's intrinsically abusive to gays to expect them to deny or suppress their sexuality in adulthood, and she's merely serving as an a echo-chamber for the autocrats in the COB...

Date: October 14, 2010 06:20PM

Oh - but there's more.
Truly, this one is a fool.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 06:59PM

That line about the path they have chosen jumped out at me, too.

This one really burned me:

"I am truly grateful for the law of celestial marriage. I also want John and all my other gay friends to have the blessings of this law, but their choice to reject it is their choice."

From me: Hey sweetie, I have a celestial marriage . . . not quite what I thought it would be.

You are asking a gay to ask a woman to sacrifice herself (a lesbian to ask a man to sacrifice himself) so they can have celestial marriage.

They like to make it "so simple"--just have sex with a woman. It's no big deal.

I'll say it again, IT ISN'T just ABOUT THE SEX YOU IDIOTS.

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 07:51PM

Despite her assertion to the contrary, this is the nugget I took away from that puddle of wordvomit:

Q: Faithful Latter-day Saint is a euphemism for what two words?
A: Bigot and Homophobe

Rights don't belong to groups, they can only belong to individuals and every individual inherently has the same basic rights. That there are evil people in the world who seek to restrict the exercise of those rights is the biggest road block to human progress.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:17PM

I love Fool's Gold. It starts Surf boy Mathew McConaghy as a easy going surfer treasure hunter. Who finds a lost Spanish treasure ship, carrying wedding gifts. Wowwie, weddings gifts....

He's a foolish man (Fool), and that's his gold.

So Fool's Gold...

Fool's Gold can also refer to Joesph Smith's (a "golden" boy with golden hair, foolish little liar), as Fool, and his Golden plates as "(Gold).

So hence. Fool's Gold.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:18PM

It would be interesting to know what D. Michael Quinn thinks of this issue. He's probably the world's only openly gay Mormon fundamentalist, plus he seems like a truly honest and intelligent guy.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:07PM

I live in Iowa where gay marriage is legal. I am a woman married to a man.

Since gay marriage was legalized our marriage has not been dissolved, nor have heterosexual marriages have been outlawed.

Come on now! When interracial marriage was legalized same-race marriage wasn't criminalized.

Some people just need a punch in the privates.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 02:14AM

I want to know how exactly gays are supposed to have any effect on her children. I'm pretty sure gays are just the same as all of us and have just as meaningful relationships and lives as heteros. It's hard to believe that she thinks even one gay marriage would change her marriage and the marriage of her children. And we don't understand? Sweetie,I was a mormon for 57 years and I know everything they teach. And a whole lot of it is perverse and just plain wrong. I agree,she needs to be on meds. Like half the lds women in Utah.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 10:08AM

You wanted to know why people like this woman are afraid of homosexuals being around their children? It's because such people (and this goes beyond Mormonism) believe that 1) homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a question of genetics; and 2) given that, the only way for there to be more homosexuals is for homosexual adults to recruit the children of heterosexuals.

In my view, she is wrong on both counts.

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 09:42AM

God made the blue eyes and the brown eyes.
God made the blond hair and the black hair.
God made the male and the female.
The short and the tall.

The gay and the straight.

Why do they assume that gay is a defect and not a creation of god? Where is their evidence and their proof that genetics don't play a role in sexuality?

Their logic is absurd yet the stand behind the flawed reasoning and point fingers and anyone who uses their head for thinking.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:47PM

And I asked my kids this week:

When a person is born with both sets of fully functioning parts, both male and female can they be married to two different people???

Can the he/she be married to John and Mary??? After all, if you had dual parts you could have a dual life....

"How could a loving heavenly father do something like that to someone?"

How indeed KKKPacker, how indeed... you're a seer, tell the world......

The 'choice' thing just falls apart.

Why haven't women had the 'choice' to know their husband was gay before they married him? The church was obligated to tell them. (I know about our poster's experience who was to marry her husband and make him straight)

Yet you can never be complete for someone whose real base line attraction lies opposite of your own gender. It's a lonely life married to someone who really doesn't connect because they cant.

The TSCC just contradicts its self all over the place. Like in heaven you were more valiant and could be born BIC. Yet if you were born outside the gospel you were trusted to be strong enough to join the church when you met it and bring in your poor wandering lost family line (at least by baptising them post humously) But you're not as good as a BIC!!! Even though you showed better strength because you had the ability to come to a dangerous nomo family and eventually join the church!!!
Ouch, brain pretzel.........

Date: October 15, 2010 05:13PM

I guess maybe I didn't clarify this - I (emmahalesmith) am not the one writing the offensive, intolerant, tripe. I am sharing with you all after experiencing the conversation first hand over at a friend's blog.

Everything after "Exhibit 1" until the words "please discuss" are the words of someone I consider to be a complete and total moron. She is the epitome of a clueless Mormon.

Anyway, she spouts off even more fools' gold, which I would love to share, but I hope everyone understands that I am merely conveying her words.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.