Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 06:41PM

This site was founded during Thanksgiving 18 years ago. It is primarily due to Susan I/S that we keep running. I hope to retire mid-2015 and will have more time to devote to updating and archiving.

We were down for a bit today with a power outage here in Cleveland TN.

Have a great Thanksgiving to all the US folks. To all the newbies - welcome.

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 06:44PM

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 06:50PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 06:54PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 06:54PM by randyj.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 11:57AM

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 06:57PM

Thanks for all of the work. I personally think that having site visit stats would be interesting. People come and go, but it seems as though more people are visiting all of the time.

Date: November 26, 2014 07:08PM

There is no way to track unique hits or what ever that is called.

Date: November 26, 2014 07:17PM

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:44AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no way to track unique hits or what ever
> that is called.

Well (and I've said this before), it depends on what your server software is and how it's configured. Most/all common web servers have the capability to log visits to the site - no need for cookies. (Cookies would be useful if you wanted to track the same visitor over multiple visits/sessions at the site.)

Date: November 27, 2014 01:46AM

Here's some documentation on the topic: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html

Date: November 27, 2014 01:49AM

And though I sounded like an @$$ with my previous comments, I do appreciate the work you and Eric have done by running this site. I will be eternally (or life-timely?) grateful that I'm no longer interested in TSCC.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:00PM

I didn't know it, but I resigned on the 15th anniversary of RFM. I'm sure it would have been so much more difficult if i'd had to go it alone.

Thanks to Susan and Eric for all you do.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:03PM

Thank you Eric K and Susan I/S for RfM...

This community changed my life for the better forever, and I will always be grateful for what both of you created so well.

Happy Thanksgiving to both of you...and to everyone here...and to everyone who is loved by everyone here.

I appreciate you all more than you will probably ever know.

Tevai

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 06:07AM

who has been the coolest techno nerd geek secret agent man fighting off Morgbot cyber attacks to the hosting servers running exmormon.org.

Too bad so sad that TSCC can't hold on to an ivy league trained scientist. So glad that Concrete Zipper employed his formidable intellect here at exmormon.org.

To me the First Presidency of exmoism is Eric,Susan and Concrete Zipper. I raise my right iPhone to the square to sustain you!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:46AM

cricket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who has been the coolest techno nerd geek secret
> agent man fighting off Morgbot cyber attacks to
> the hosting servers running exmormon.org.
>
> Too bad so sad that TSCC can't hold on to an ivy
> league trained scientist. So glad that Concrete
> Zipper employed his formidable intellect here at
> exmormon.org.
>
> To me the First Presidency of exmoism is
> Eric,Susan and Concrete Zipper. I raise my right
> iPhone to the square to sustain you!

Ya , what he said!!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:22PM

Thank you and Happy Birfday... or izzit anniversary?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:26PM

Aw, power outage -- hope all is well.

With the board down this morning, I read a post on FAIR about this board's "little place in cyberspace" -- it was dishonest, condescending, and self-righteously hypocritical.
So nice to be back here. :)
Thanks for everything, Eric! I don't mind the "18 year old software" the board runs on (according to FAIR!) :)

Date: November 26, 2014 07:36PM

Ware was new as of Date: September 16, 2010 05:15PM

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:39PM

I don't think they're ignorant.

I think they feel threatened.

Date: November 26, 2014 09:46PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:29PM

Happy Happy anniversary RFM..... many thanks to you for being

here. I can't imagine leaving the moron church and staying sane

without you .

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:32PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you both and to your families.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:33PM

18 years - nice ;o)

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:46PM

Thank you so much for this board. My sister e-mailed me the addy of this website not too long after it started. I had dropped out but felt totally alone, dejected, and uncertain. I thought I was the only one in the world who had stopped believing in mormonism. I just got warm testimonkey feelings reading everything on this site. You are an amazing person. THANKS!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:48PM

Thank you for a site that brings people together in every which way. :)

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:48PM

Happy Found Day to everyone! I'm glad we found each other.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 07:51PM

Happy Birthday! I sometimes forget how long I've been out of the church, and then you remind me: 18 years. I left two months after you started this board, and found you a few months later. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

toto

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 08:02PM

Wow! That was about the time that my wife and I officially left Mormondom. Thanks for all your good work.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 08:22PM

Eric, thank you for everything you have done for me personally and for so many others. I am grateful to you and to Susan for keeping this invaluable resource alive.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 08:33PM

Congratulations and thank you Eric. You have facilitated so much healing, growth, and understanding with this board it's hard to believe they STILL won't let you in the CK.

For me personally reading here has been beyond valuable.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:02PM

http://youtu.be/knp9-GY6fHE

Happy Anniversary!

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:08PM

Previously "Observer", I have been using the information from this and other sites to get to know the truth. Thank you so much!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:11PM

My sincere thanks for all you do. I wouldn't have made it out of the church without RfM. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: A ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:22PM

Thank you Eric from a fellow Yooper. thank you Susan (and others?) for keeping this board running smooth and civil.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:28PM

THANKS for 18 years of hard and good work. You've helped countless people. You and Susan ROCK!

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:32PM

Thank you! The work you do has helped countless individuals escape and heal.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:41PM

Old enough for Joe to marry, but not young enough for him to notice.

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:43PM

I think you'd be surprised how many people have you all at the top of their "things to be thankful for" list.

Great work...keep it up!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:51PM

Well to be Fair about it, the software ain't 18, no way.

Exmormon.org used to run wingnut software on the old website that I first found.

They had two sites, actually. Can't imagine why you guys took down Exmo-social.com.

cough cough

Happy retirement Eric. But watch what you say when you ain't the boss. Susan is getting sharper with age.

"little place in cyberspace" is the mouse that roared and is scaring the elephantine patriarcal pachyderms outta their hide. :o)

Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 09:57PM by Shummy.

Date: November 28, 2014 01:12AM

We never ever ever ever EVER ran ExMoSocial. We had a social board for a while and that is when someone started ExMoSocial. We learned a lot from their horrible mistakes though. One being KEEP THE PM SYSTEM TURNED OFF OFF OFF!!!!!!

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:59PM

I've been on here for the last 8 of those 18 years. Much thanks Eric, Susan, et al.

TG

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 09:59PM

Best. Site. Ever.

Thanks to Eric and Susan for everything. You have helped so many people become free.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 10:01PM

I assume that means it started in 1996. A year later I wrote a letter to the church with many issues that bothered me, and was looking on the internet for the address to headquarters SLC. That's when I discovered this site and realized the reason I saw so many problems was it was all BS. Haven't been back since.

Anyway, thank you.

Posted by: Violotron ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:02PM

Eric, you and Susan are wonderful. Plus all the other volunteers over the years.

I started reading and posting in the 90s, and still post occasionally, under a different name. It is so fantastic that y'all have been hosting this site for so long. It has helped me immensely, and others as well.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!!!!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:29PM

Congratulations!

Now the site is old enough to go on a mission!

This has been a great and entertaining place to come to for 12 years now.

Posted by: 2+2=4 nli ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:01AM

I love the way this site works. Less is more. The most elegant designs are the simplest.

Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for allowing me to participate here.

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:47AM

I love the fact that a Multi-Billion dollar empire with such massive media, legal, political and public resources has been so totally shaken to its core by ...

... a humble web site that's often run on less that $200 a month!

I wonder what tomorrow's history books will have to say when all of this is finally put in perspective. Thanks to digital technology, every small detail along the way is being eternally documented for that book.

"And ye shall know the Internet, and the Internet shall set you free...thanks to RFM."

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:59AM

A heartfelt Thank-you Eric and Susan,from me too. When I left the church,abruptly 5 years ago,I was a mess. Finding this site really saved me. In the beginning I was spending up to 6 hour a day here.

I couldn't get enough! Everyone has taught me so much. Thanks to all you posters too!!

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:19AM

Thank you, Eric and Susan, for your work. I got the internet in June 2004, the first thing I googled, for some reason, was "exmormon", and I landed here. I spent days reading the topics and biographies. It was an epiphany. I was glad to finally realize that I wasn't at fault for my lack of better understanding and acceptance of church doctrines, but it was the church to be false.

Happy RfM anniversary and happy Thanksgiving from Germany.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:34AM

Yes, this has been wonderful. It's so great to hear other people who have had the same experiences and came to the same conclusion.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Plus saving you 10% and hundreds of hours a year!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:04AM

Thanks so much :-)

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 04:36AM

I hope you both have a quiet moment over the holiday weekend to think about what an amazing support you have been for people who are often at a very vulnerable period in their lives.

Both of you deserve a heartfelt thanks from a community of people, most of whom you will never meet.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 06:14AM

Concrete Zipper, who has been the coolest techno nerd geek secret agent man fighting off Morgbot cyber attacks to the hosting servers running exmormon.org.

CZ is to exmormon.org as the NSA is to Homeland Security but only in a good way.

Too bad so sad that TSCC can't hold on to an ivy league trained scientist. So glad that Concrete Zipper employed his formidable intellect here at exmormon.org.

To me the First Presidency of exmoism is Eric,Susan and Concrete Zipper. I raise my right iPhone to the square to sustain you!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:00AM

CZ - I think of him as sheer stealth. He's behind the lines. Quiet and efficient. Most RfMers don't even know he's here.

Unless he comes out with some kick-ass essay. Which he does sometimes. Cool dude.

;o)

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:16AM

Date: November 28, 2014 01:14AM

He is so very very very smart and he has to try to work with ME! I think after 14? years he has given up on telling me that "thingie" is not a technical term :P

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 06:19AM

Well, he can vote but he still can't drink.

Thanks for the site.

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 07:03AM

Thank you all for running this website! I used to come here when I was LDS. I was so relieved to learn I wasn't the only one who questioned TSCC. The people and information I found on this site were my "keys to the kingdom" of knowledge and freedom.

Posted by: RudiTheCat ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:08AM

A HUGE thank you to Erik and Susan for setting up and running the website. It was the major contributor to my coming out of mormonism.

When I first came across it, it was like finding an oasis of sanity at long last. It is a place where one can really get answers. I learnt more in a few months here than during my entire time in mormondom.

I still love the wit, wisdom and insight of the posters here.

Power and good karma to you,
for all generations to come ;)

Rudi

Posted by: Helen not logged in ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:41PM

We left the church quietly when we moved back to the States from Germany. Just never went back and never asked to have our records forwarded to a new ward. Also never asked to have our names removed.

There was no internet when we left. We didn't know anyone who had left the Church and we were quiet about our leaving and lived our lives without ever telling anyone we were Mormons.

Then one night I put Mormon in a search and up popped exmormon.

It was wonderful to find a group of people who knew "mormon speak" and had left the church. Some one to talk to about our Mormon experience.

We've also met some of you on this board and it's been great. One of these years we may even make it to exmo conference in Salt Lake. We met and married in SL but haven't been back for a long time.

Thank you Eric, Susan and CZ. It was this site that gave me the courage to write my letter to Salt Lake and officially request my name be removed from the records.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:10AM

Wow, you guys were here pretty much right from the start of the internet. I didn't even get on-line until the end of '98.

While you were recovering ex-Mos, I was hosting an MSN LDS chatroom, vigorously defending the Church from any hecklers who came into the room to disrupt our chatting.

I'm glad that I eventually found my way here, by about the end of 2008 or the beginning of 2009.

Happy Anniversary!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:44AM

I never would have guessed that the 18th birthday of a text-only web site principally consisting of a bunch of exmormons yammering away would bring a tear to my eye.

Carry on.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:50AM

You can vote now...you just can't drink..yet...:)

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:22AM

Praise to the man who communes with the internet!!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:23AM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:25AM

Wow! That's incredible!

Congratulations.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:41AM

I wish I had left 18 years ago. Congratulations on the success of this site and thank you for continue to run it. IMHO is the best exmo site I've found.

The first time I landed on it was following Steve Benson and I ran like crazy because of the "angry anti-mormons". But I returned. And it was on this site I found the info that unlocked my mormon cell. It was an old post on changes made to the book of mormon. I found it in 2010 and that was the exact moment my deconversion began.

It was also on this site that someome posted "a church that controls its people all the way to their underwear..." and I realized I was in a controlling organization.

Thank you to all who have even posted, you never know all the hearts that are touched with a few words.

I'm so glad to be part of this small corner of cyberspace. =)

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:04AM

Happy birthday from a neverMo mostly lurker. I have TBM extended family, and you guys help me understand them. So, thanks to the folks who run this site, but thanks too to all of you who graciously answer my questions! :-)

Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:10AM

Thank you for all you do on this site to help those leaving.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:21AM

This is the place where you can find a group of good people who are smart, funny and tolerant. Where the moderators put fires out promptly and everyone can have a say.

RfM has been a harbor for me, a place where I feel valued in spite of my mistakes, and most importantly where I feel understood.

I'm not kidding when I say being a refugee from a cult means a person has chosen to care about truth over comfort, and even at risk of losing friends and family. The departing Mormon faces scorn and embarrassment, has to admit you were wrong in your "certainty," in other words, eat humble pie.

I find it hard to make a new friend who hasn't themselves experienced Mormonism. One neighbor asked me why former Mormons need a forum. Sigh.

RfM is the crack in the Berlin Wall of the mind. The crack may be a small corner of the internet but it allows one eyeball to see a bigger, more diverse world.

Which is a huge contribution.

Thank you, Susan I/S, Eric, Concrete Zipper and also Cricket, for your time and contributions.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:41PM

Wow, that is almost my whole life! I was only 4 back then!

Well I certainly enjoy being here, so thanks for keeping it going this whole time for me to catch up!

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:37PM

Thank you Eric, Susan I/S, and everyone else who has given time and money to keep this site alive and well. Happy Birthday.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 10:38PM by nickerickson.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:23AM

Thank you, thank you, RFM !!! I've realized that I've been here for about 13 years now. How is that possible? I've learned so much from you and from all the posters here. This awesome site has been a life saver for me and so many others. I can never thank you enough. You've built an amazing, compassionate, caring, intelligent, informed, community; one that you should surely be very proud of.

Date: November 28, 2014 12:09PM

The site was all gone soon after I arrived so I made a poor assumption, internet greenie that I was.

The board was pretty raucous back then. Guys like Tedd.

I can truthfully say that over the years, RfM has taught me so much about online protocol and how social manners coming through a keyboard are as vital as manners out on the street.

Thanks again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 12:17PM

Congratulations, Eric, and a very big thanks to Susan I/S and Concrete Zipper who keep things humming along.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 02:10PM

You saved my life...Thanks Bard

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 02:28PM

Happy 18th Birthday/Anniversary RFM!

This is the best website for me EVER....I learned so much about Mormonism in 18 months of being here than the 8 years that I spent with my TBM friends/neighbors. You guys are the best people that I've ever met in the inter-webs. So I'm really, really thankful for this website...Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!!!

Thank you Eric and Susan I/S, you guys ROCK.......Lucy

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:10AM

Even 7 years after my deconversion from the Morg I still find plenty of good reasons to make use of this site, whether to find an answer to a specific question (usually there's already a thread recent enough I don't even have time to ask it), or to deal with the continuing realities of having a TBM family, or just to feel the community of some of the likeminded people who also find themselves surrounded by those who may seem like they're a little backwards about who's actually "confused." To Eric, Susan I/S, Concrete Zipper, and any or all others who may have also contributed to this wonderful community over all these years I want you to know how endlessly grateful I am that you have helped make the natural challenges of such a time of change so very much better for me and other people like me.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:36AM

...that this board is INSPIRED. Having been a reader and poster since 2000.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:37AM

This site has saved me thousands of dollars in therapy. I could talk to a therapist all day long, and if they don't understand what coming out of mormonism is, they wouldn't be able to help me.

The people who come here to wrestle with the demon called mormonism are brave. They put it all out there. They ask the hard questions. The result is they help everyone else who's in the battle. So much good is done here that it boggles the mind. There's no way to measure it. It's beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Thanks to everyone who puts their thoughts, experiences, heart and soul into telling your story. Thanks to all of the people who have kept this site up and running through good times and bad. Your dedication has not gone unnoticed. I'm quite frankly in awe of your ability and tenacity. Day after day, year after year you are here for people you've never met. That's what I would call an angel.

Date: November 29, 2014 01:41AM

Hey Pointy, how ya been?

Long time, no sea.

:o)

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:47AM

18 years that have flown by. It's nice to see some Golden Oldies stop by to say Hello. I'm one of them.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:26AM

Stick around to enjoy the implosion of LDS, Inc. We've been out here on the lawn since Mitt Romney lost....

Such satisfying times.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:24AM

As a never-mo, experiencing the shunning and judgment of TBMs, I had no idea how excruciating the experiences of regular Mormons could be. This place has cleared the fog for me to understand the whole picture of Mormonism, the good (a little), the bad (a lot) and the ugly (the most).

Thanks for the links, the insight, the new friends, the whole shebang!

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:45AM

More nevermo thanks here. You guys helped me save my daughter. Now stopping by is my guilty pleasure.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:36AM

I add my gratitude. These discussions have given me reality checkpoints and maintained my sanity. I left a year ago at age 64 and the board helped me through the worst year of my life. Now I feel freer than ever and feel grateful that my personal integrity is intact. My story is similar to most of yours: the only one out, a large tbm family, and eyes that see the reality. I am doing fine.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:10AM

Thanks to all y'all, I was able to learn how to quit Mormonism.

Thanks Eric K. and Susan I/S!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:14AM

Thanks to you and Susan.

I've been here, on and off, (mostly off) since about '98-99 when I officially resigned.

It's been a gift in many ways.

And I often think of those poster we have lost over that time, too. Great people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 11:15AM by angela.

Posted by: paulboberg ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:12PM

Your just over the hill in Cleveland TN cool. Im up the hill ofiicaly in Whitwell but closer to Palmer. Walked away from the morg more than 30 years ago. Finally got on line with this tablet so I'm probably making a number of mistakes. Don't have a power cord that long but other wise would be happy to help "this great work and a wonder" go forward. Boy you learn a language like mormonisum and thirty years latter you still using its catch phrases, sorry. It however a wonderful thing you are doing. Its good to know others have seen what I have. Is there a local support group I could meet with? May your dream's come to pass and the good things of life surround you.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 08:41PM

Glad you're here. Wish I had found RFM sooner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.