Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Karashka ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:12PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSgLO9FYgxM 11:55min thru

"Today, more than a million members of our church in the United States gather their families everyday for prayer"

And then lists number of families, not members, in Mexico and Brazil for reading scriptures.

Only more than a million US members pray with their families everyday?! That's IT? Not more than 5 million, or 15 million. Just more than A million. I think that statement is very telling, considering Utah has over 2 million, and the US as a whole has over 300 million.

Also, guess there's no teleprompters at the Vatican, eh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:29PM

This was a fascinating event in may ways. The photo op of Erying with the Pope was pushed out in every church publication including LDS.org. It was as if Eyring having a photo taken with Pope Francis was "legitimizing" to Mormonism.

Secondly, it was telling to see Eyring read his "talk" from a piece of paper... just like a new Deacon would in Sacrament Meeting. This man is an APOSTLE of Jesus Christ. A prophet, Seer and revelator and he needs to read what he's telling the world on the family? This tells me he is none of these things.

Finally, I was waiting to see the video of this presentation to see if Eyring would be Eyring. Would he tear up and choke up when delivering his message? Of course this behavior is classic Mormon, and denotes the spirit is influencing the speaker and that the spirit is present.

He did it... and I was stunned. You see most religious leaders don't cry during their sermons and talks. Eyring's presentation came off as emotional filler to a serious discussion. It is also worth noting that his video did not introduce him as "one of the 12 apostles of the true church of Jesus Christ." Rather it states he is the "First Counselor in the First Presidency" of the church and that he has a Ph.D. from Harvard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 03:33PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: Refresher ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:41PM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Eyring's presentation came off as
> emotional filler to a serious discussion. It is
> also worth noting that his video did not introduce
> him as "one of the 12 apostles of the true church
> of Jesus Christ." Rather it states he is the
> "First Counselor in the First Presidency" of the
> church and that he has a Ph.D. from Harvard.

Hilarious.
They didn't use his apostle title in the introduction?
Conveniently they have an alternate title for such occassions as this.
Do they still teach that these 12 are apostles?
When does L-d$ inc use the title of apostle?
It's hard to keep up.

Date: November 28, 2014 03:45PM

Yeah, the reading off his paper was pretty distracting as well as telling. Maybe he needed to read off the paper to express his feelings for his wife because that'd be too difficult to come from the heart, and maybe he needed to read off a paper cause he doesn't know the Family, a Proclamation to the World.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:35PM

If there's only a million morg in the USA, then they've been telling a whooper of a lie about morg membership numbers!!

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:47PM

Well, I think he's distinguishing "praying members" from actual members. Regardless, two things:
1) How the frick do they know that? No church know for sure who prays and who doesn't. You'll never hear another church spout off stuff like that. In my opinion, they lose credibility because non-mo's are as stupid and guilliable at momo's.
2) Only a million out of the what 7-10 million active US mormons praying? Yikes, that not's good crying eyring.

Date: November 28, 2014 03:55PM

Don't all members pray though? By saying they aren't "praying", then they probably aren't paying, or attending church. And if only over 1 million of them are actually doing that in the states, then they really only have over 1 million TBMS. So many inactives for the one true church.

Date: November 28, 2014 04:15PM

Yep that's what is seems like to me. I hope his declaration comes back to haunt TSCC.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 03:55PM

Perhaps he meant "more than a million *priesthood holders* of our church in the United States gather their families everyday for prayer." In which case, he was equating priesthood holders with "members" - and thus inadvertantly revealed the true status of the women of the lds church.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:07PM

They should have sent Uchtdorf. He at least has true international savvy, not like these royal utards.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:09PM

I'm sure Francis thought that was cute.

"Did he say 1 million or 1 billion"

"I believe he said 1 million, your holiness"

<snickers> "There are 1.2 billion Catholics in the world. Why did we invite this cult leader here from the United States?"

Date: November 28, 2014 04:17PM

+1..lol..exactly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:46PM

Transcript can be read here:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/transcript-president-eyring-addresses-vatican-summit-marriage

"Today more than a million members of our Church in the United States gather their families every day for prayer. Forty-one thousand (41,000) individual families in Mexico read scriptures together one to three times a week. Seventy thousand (70,000) individual families in Brazil gather two or three times a month for an evening of prayer, worship, and scripture reading.[4]

Those are small numbers when you think of the billions of parents and families that Heavenly Father watches down upon in this world. But if that family bonding passes through just a few generations, happiness and peace will grow exponentially among the worldwide family of God."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 04:47PM by Stumbling.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 05:53PM

Looking at the transcript provided (Thanks, Stumbling), I don't really think that the Roman church will have a lot of problems with it. Most of what Mr. Eyring says here is part of both Roman Catholic and Protestant theology (though I don't necessarily think it reflects modern realities and perspectives, particularly in western industrialized countries). It was probably very smart for Mr. Eyring to read his speech and even smarter not to mention what his role actually was in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints(if he did, he probably would not have been invited to give his speech). It was also very intelligent for Mr. Eyring not to brag about the large number of members the LDS church claims to have, given the number of other religious representatives in attendance.

That said, I did find some LDS theology that neither Roman Catholics nor other Christians agree with in Mr. Eyring's speech. To wit:

"We were married a year after I first saw her. The wedding ceremony was in a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The words spoken in the ceremony included a promise that we might be husband and wife in this life and for eternity. The promise included that whatever descendants we might have would be bound to us forever if we lived worthy of that happiness. We were promised that after this life, we could continue to enjoy whatever loving family sociality we could create in life."

One of the stories in the New Testament is about a Saduce (I hope I'm spelling that right) who asks Jesus if a woman married seven brothers during her lifetime after the previous brother's death, which brother would she actually be married to upon her death. Jesus' response was that she would be married to none and that in Heaven, no hand is given or received in marriage--a direct contradiction of the above quote from Mr. Eyring.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 06:45PM

KJV Matthew 29:Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

30For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:24PM

The LDS church has such an odd relationship with the Catholic church. On the one hand, there's a history of talking smack about Catholicism. OTOH, one senses a deep envy of the power and reach of the Catholic church. Eyring seemed to enjoy sitting at the big boy's table.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.