Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:47AM

Right now I am sitting in the ER waiting room because my poor mom fainted from a dizzy spell while on the way to bed and banged up her head. She has a nice gash right above her eye and on her arm from the fall. She was arguing with dad, me and the paramedics about going in to the hospital but as one of the guys were cleaning up her forehead, they realized that the gash was bad enough to warrant a trip to the ER for stitches.

She has given dad and I a good run for our money this past year with the blood clots in her lungs and stuff. I am hoping that she doesn't have a concussion from the fall.

So I guess I am not going to be going to bed anytime soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2015 01:48AM by kativicky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:50AM

Sorry to hear about your poor mom. It's great that you're there for your parents, though. It just takes time and stamina, and love. All the best to you all.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:55AM

Cyber HUGS!! Hang in there. Try to relax as much as possible. Doctors and nurses are taking care of her so try to sleep if possible. Save your strength for when she gets out of the hospital. Good luck and keep us informed.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:57AM

Sorry that you are going through this. There are not many things more uncomfortable and lonely than a night by someone's hospital bed or in the waiting room. Stranded at an airport overnight is a runner-up. I hope you have a good book and something to eat. This will pass and you will get to sleep in your own bed tomorrow night.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:58AM

Oh my, so sorry ! Hopefully, she'll be fine soon and be up and about being her usual self.
My husband had several falls before he passed away. Fortunately, he trusted a young man to help him and he was willing to help out day or night! But often we had to call 911 for a "lift assist" so out came the firetruck and five huge guys and all their paraphernalia into my little house! Other times I med them at the ER! Once he got wedged in the bathroom ... ARGH!!

I've been in your shoes, so to speak. Hang in there!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:13AM

That's a tough gig. Best wishes.

Date: October 17, 2015 02:15AM

It is hard. My dad has Parkinson's disease and he gets tired easily throughout the day. Mom did give me a good scare and I am not fun to be around in panic mode.

Thanks for the well wishes so far. They are greatly appreciated.

Date: October 17, 2015 02:25AM

We think that it is a mixture of her sleep meds and the fact that she had a episode with her Cohen's that made her really sick this past week.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:19AM

These nights (and days) are rough...when they happened to me, sometimes I felt so alone...even at the moments when there were other people (mostly relatives of some kind) around...

...because they all had THEIR problems to deal with...and so they kind of let all the rest of it be my responsibility to make everything "right." (To be fair, they were in not-good shape themselves.)

But I viscerally remember the after-midnight depression and loneliness, when I was awake all through the night, and sometimes all of it seemed overwhelming.

I am sorry kativicky...and I am glad that your Mom and Dad have you to make everything "right," especially when they can't do it themselves.

Feeling very much with you,

Tevai

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:20AM

She well may have a concussion.

Watch for signs, that can include confusion, memory loss, dilated eyes, etc.

With a laceration over her eye, she likely had a good blow to her head.

Do you know why she was having a dizzy spell?

Did you know you have the right to request a plastic surgeon to stich her up? The ER will locate one if you ask, since the laceration's facial.

Well wishes winging your way for your mom, and that you'll feel better too! It's no way to spend a Friday night.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:41AM

Oh, man. I can sure relate to that. We've had my Mom in the ER several times since June. She tends to faint too and bang up her head.

I'm sorry it's going to be a long night in the ER. That's never fun.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:52AM

The lights are so bright. Sometimes they have a side room or padded bench to rest on. Ask the staff. You can't help them if you're exhausted too... They should have chamomile tea or something soothing.

((Hugs for hanging in))

Date: October 17, 2015 07:00AM

So mom is alright. She ended up with 6 stitches above her eye and nothing else is wrong with her. We are waiting for the nurse to clean up and bandage the cut on her arm and we will be going home soon and going to bed. It has been a super long night and I am anxious to go to bed and get some sleep before going to work tonight.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 07:54AM

I am glad she is OK. It's so scary when they fall like that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 08:03AM

I'm glad that your mom is okay. It's always best to get things checked out when you are not sure. I hope that you are able to get some rest today!

Date: October 17, 2015 08:08AM

So, you were basically there at the ER for the whole fricking night?

Yowsy. You deserve some rest!

I got a concussion a couple years ago, that lasted for several months, maybe more. And I had a laceration in the same place as your mother did, that needed stitches. The concussion stemmed from there, but it went through my entire brain, like an ocean wave when it was at its worst.

One of my telltale signs was slurred speech. For some reason it affected the part of my memory that had to do with days of the week. MRI's were run to make sure there was nothing more serious. It finally ran its course, but took long enough.

The worst for me was waking up on a Monday and thinking it was still Sunday. My boss called me at 11:30 that morning to ask where I was? I was gobsmacked. That's what seemed to take the longest time to heal was the return of memory for what day of the week it was. Just a simple thing like that, I learned not to take for granted. :)

Hope your mom mends quickly! Glad you finally were able to go home!

Date: October 17, 2015 07:15PM

Yes I was. We got to the Er a little after 1 and didn't leave until 7:40 am.

Date: October 18, 2015 05:44AM

When I had my accident, I was able to drive myself to my own ENT doctor (daytime,) and so bypassed the whole ER thing. My doctor was out to lunch when I came by his office, but I was able to wait for him.

When he returned, I was the first patient he saw. He had me stitched up in no time. Then I followed up with my regular doc in the following days and weeks for the concussion part of it.

The concussion took the longest time to mend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 05:44AM by amyjo.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 19, 2015 03:48AM

confusion with days of the week. I had a concussion some years back and had difficulties with short-term memory, which have gradually gotten better, but I still am never sure of what day it is.

Just looking at a calendar doesn't help. My DH always gets up early and leaves today's newspaper on the kitchen table. THAT is my Rock of Gibraltar. Whenever I feel confused about the day or date, I check the paper. I know I could also look at my cell phone, which is always with me, but somehow, the paper just seems more reassuring.

I'm more certain on days when favorite TV programs are on, which helps a bit, but it's still irritating.

Date: October 19, 2015 07:14AM

It's one of the darndest things. Not remembering what day of the week it is.

I have tried to force myself back to remembering the days of the week. Like you, there's still some ambiguity since the concussion.

Strange how concussions can affect people differently. I figure the part of the brain that takes the brunt of the impact the hardest determines what area of memory becomes affected the most.

Mine has gotten mostly better with the passage of time. I still wake up though and wonder what day it is sometimes. I never used to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 09:41AM by amyjo.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 09:54AM

I'm glad she's okay, but hope that you can get some sleep soon. I would probably take one of my personal days off after that.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 10:02AM

I'm sorry to hear of your mom's accident and wish her a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 10:07AM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 11:23AM

Good wishes for you and your mom. ((((Hugs))))

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 18, 2015 10:59PM

Glad she is ok, Kativicky.

Hope its a quiet week for all of you.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 18, 2015 11:34PM

I'm glad it worked out so well for you and for her.

I hope you got some sleep!!!

:)

Posted by: Queen of the Foyer ( )
Date: October 19, 2015 12:01AM

Hope you're rested up.
My dad just died about 10 days ago from a fall. He hit his head and didn't recover. But it was fast, just 2 days.

I'm glad you parent pulled through it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 19, 2015 05:00AM

Date: October 19, 2015 07:15AM

I'm sorry for your loss Queen.

Date: October 19, 2015 07:17AM

So sorry for your loss.

Date: October 19, 2015 01:36AM

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the well wishes. Mom is doing great and we are all well rested. :)

Date: October 19, 2015 06:20AM

Glad to hear your mom is great and that you're all rested. I hope improvement continues.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.