Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:07PM

I tried posting this earlier, but for some reason it didn't go through.

Many on this board lament the fact that TSCC is a powerful corporation that wields tremendous power in the intermountain west (especially Utah). It's frustrating that so many people willingly donate so much money to an institution with zero financial accountability, and that is what really keeps TSCC going. It's not divine power that keeps TSCC going, it's economic power.

For those of us who live in the intermountain west, one way to help undermine the economic power of TSCC is to patronize businesses that are not owned/ran by mormons (especially TSCC owned businesses) and do our best to avoid businesses that are. This may sound difficult, but what if someone maintained a website that contained listings by city area and business category of NoMo businesses? The website could be set up so that anyone could post a business suggestion under a city/business category.

Wouldn't it feel great knowing that the money you spend on shopping and services wasn't being tithed to TSCC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:13PM

best suggestion of the day.

gotta love social networking.

Dark, are you paying attention?

Please share with Stormy and DH.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 12:16AM

+1

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:14PM

with disgusting and smelly garment types. Their flaunting their underware to "prove" their status/worthyness as a Mor(m)on is insulting and degrading.

I would seriously patronize businesses that don't raise their flags of supposed superiority by showing off their garments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 09:15PM by dane.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:22PM

I make my living working for mostly LDS clients. If they applied that kind of discrimination against non-mos or exmos I would be out of work.

Is this really the kind of society we need, where people only deal with people who share their religion?

I think it's better to patronize businesses based on value and the quality of service.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:27PM

I think it's a great idea of father out areas, too, but in the jello belt, I'd be a bit worried that it would lead to blacklisting.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:30PM

you don't think it could work for some buisnesses in SLC?

I am guessing there are dry cleaners, vets or copy centers or others where being on the no 10% list would only help business.

But then, I have spent a total of 3 hours in SLC.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 12:23AM

Yep.

It's the old "do unto others" principle. If I don't want to be descriminated against, then I shouldn't do it, either.

In the larger picture, I don't want to live in a society where people choose to do business (or not) with people because they prejudge them by their religion affilliation, race, sexual orientation, or lumping them with some other group. People deserve to be judged on their own merits.

That said, people are going to go where they are comfortable. If a business displays TBM characteristics that annoy you or affect the service you would receive, it would make sense to avoid them. I wouldn't go to an LDS counselor, for example. But for most things it simply doesn't matter.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:46AM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep.

>
> In the larger picture, I don't want to live in a
> society where people choose to do business (or
> not) with people because they prejudge them by
> their religion affilliation, race, sexual
> orientation, or lumping them with some other
> group. People deserve to be judged on their own
> merits.
>

Like it or not, we live in a prejudice society. Mormon business owners are likely to donate a large chunk of their money to TSCC. TSCC has used such money to try to take my rights away. So, why would I want to do business where my money would go to support the effort to take away my rights?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 05:34PM

+1

It's a fun thought, but I would think that nomo businesses wouldn't want to alienate ANY potential customers, including Mormon customers. Having a list like that would be like saying "Mormons not welcome here". Or "We get drunk while we repair your car."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 05:35PM by seekyr.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 11:22PM

Hmmm... Wouldn't this be the same as what the bishop tried to do with Jake's (Stormy's husband) sister's husband - the Vet who was threatened with economic boycotting because his wife was having issues with the Corp?

I can see boycotting Corp-owned businesses, but not the small businesses that are owned or operated by Morms. Who knows - they might be in the process of finding the truth and leaving themselves...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 12:18AM

And who is to say the Mormons don't already go to the people who own businesses who are Mormon, or Drs. that are Mormon or lawyers, etc. You know this is the case.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 08:39AM

It is about supporting those we agree with.

If there are two comparable businesses one that was run by a Mormon and one that was run by an exmormon, I would go to the exmormon shop. In part because they would more likely to accept me for who I am, at that is the sort of people I want to do business with.

Gays have had gay "yellow pages" for decades. It was one of the ways gays discovered the power of the gay dollar. Seems gays have more disposable income than the average heterosexual because they usually are not raising kids. So, when companies firgured that out, they started marketing to gays.

The exmo dollar could have the same impact, since exmos are not sending 10% of their income to TSCC, they would have more disposable income. Perhaps, some day, companies will market to exmormons to cash in.

Posted by: Nevermo Wife and Mom ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 07:37AM

A google search of LDS Business Directory's brought up several.

Here in mo land on the wasatch front don't think for a second that a Mormon would choose your no mo business over a mo business. And their first choice would be the ones in the ward. Hell I've even heard they have special pricing for the no mo's. Charging more. Has anyone else heard that?

Posted by: vpaegar ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 05:27PM

Hello
I am interested in getting LDS Business Directory's.
Bro. Cooper

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 01:42PM

Yet another reason why I'm so glad to not live in Utah with all that mindset on part of the TSCC followers! How my nonmember sibling and their family survive out there in an area that's 95% TSCC makes me respect them even more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.