Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 07:55PM

without being sued for copyright infringement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking ohioan ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 08:12PM

I don't think TSCC claims copyright in garment design. Even if they did, the lawsuit that would result would require that the designs be discussed and illustrated publicly, which goes against TSCC's general approach to all things temple. It's the same reason why TSCC never tries to enforce copyright over the temple ordinances.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 08:14PM

Someone with a temple recommend getting them. But, I may be wrong. I'll have to look closer. They don't have any markings?

Edit - I looked and they do have markings. I think someone is reselling them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 08:19PM by Samantha Baker.

Date: September 13, 2012 08:31PM

Nah, they are not "real" garments. It sounds like they are just ones that have been created using the church's official patterns that you can get when members want to make their own garments. Same difference, I guess.

Date: September 13, 2012 08:33PM

From http://mormonssecret.com/pages/about-us

"WHAT MAKES YOUR UNDERWEAR REAL?

"All of our garments follow the authentic Mormon patterns, heirloom stitching techniques, and traditional Masonic symbols hand-sewn on each garment. The underwear are available in both tops and bottoms, and come in both cotton and mesh fabrics for men, as well as a spanx-like cotton-spandex blend for women. Surprisingly, there is no such thing as kosher Mormon underwear. None of the religious groups that make and distribute temple garments go through a consecration or blessing process. The Mormon Church’s secret for making magic underwear is part pattern and part recipe. So to sum it up, our Mormon underwear are as magical as you can get! Our garments even come packaged with a satirical yet accurate description of the actual Mormon underwear initiation ritual that includes nudity, biblical references, and magical expectations."

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 10:34PM

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 09:50PM

It's real tough to get a copyright on an article of clothing.

http://www.newmediarights.org/business_models/artist/can_you_copyright_clothing_designs

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:22PM

I totally want to buy some, but I don't want to spend THAT much more than the real deal. LOL!
Someday when I'm rich, maybe...

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:27PM

Dang if I knew I could get $70 a pair for them I wouldn't have used mine as padding for my boys shooting range.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:54PM

What I want to know is if we'll actually see any Halloween costumes with Mitt and Ann masks: GOPs in Garments.

Man, would I pay good money to see that if someone had the guts to do it, especially at a Utah costume party.

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:42PM

Wonder how much they would go for on Ebay?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:43PM

For those of you who don't know my story. One of my TBM relatives stole all my garmies when they found out I went awol. I had them in a bag in the guest room closet where I store extra clothing.

Wow. I'm not sure who, but one of my TBM relatives stole close to $1000. worth of garmies from me. That's the black market price.

I hope they enjoy wearing stolen G's. How does that make sense?

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 11:00PM

You never know -- if they wore the stolen goods themselves, perhaps the skin beneath the pilfered garments was scorched.

You know - kind of like when the ark of the covenant burns off the nazi symbol on the cargo hold crate in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Secret, er, sacred objects are adept at noticing nearby evils, and they will defend themselves accordingly.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 10:46PM

SHI$$T!!

It never occured to sell mine on ebay!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 11:06PM

I just realized one of my TBM relatives committed a federal offense.

Can you imagine pressing charges? Umm officer, they stole over $1000 dollars worth of underwear. You want a description? Oh geeeze, here we go. White, kinda like long johns, Masonic symbols sewn on the boobs. Yeah, really ugly, but worth a lot on the black market. I have no idea why they would want those. Sexual fetish???

Posted by: Ann Jackson ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 05:41PM

Awww, I love that my fellow exmos are talking about the site! For those of you who didn't get enough of these crazy things your first time around (maybe for a Halloween gag costume), here's a little love:

ExMormon50%

50% off, no tax and free shipping.

-Ann

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 10:50PM

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 10:57PM

For those who didn't link to the site, or did and don't remember the name, "Ann Jackson" is mentioned on that site as the person who founded and runs that company.

That site had a link to her video on "I am an ex-mormon" but I went there and didn't find her, but probably I just didn't click on "more" enough.

So it looks like her posting to this thread is pretty cool, and I don't see it as commercial as she didn't start this thread, and doesn't give the link either (someone else did earlier).

Thanks, Ann!

Posted by: Tiara ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 03:07PM

If I ordered garments, even will I get them?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 07:31PM

This way years ago, but when garments were sold on ebay, TBMs complained and the sale of them was taken off.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:51PM

If you closely scrutinize the photos of garments on the Mormon Secrets website, you'll notice that their for-sale products are a little different, especially the female top. Authorized garment patterns don't have princess seams. Check it out.

Posted by: got2Breal ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 09:36PM

I was fortunate enough to find a lot of authentic garments on eBay before they were banned at an amazingly low price. I burn a set of them in a secret ritual each year the night before Easter, my own personal holiday I call Breakdown (and usually destroy other Mormon artifacts too). No way I would give up that pleasure for $1,000.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 10:49PM

The patterns have been sold for decades. Anyone could use those patterns to mass-produce. There isn't any real grounds for The Morg to register and enforce a copyright, trade dress protection, or design patent now. Plus, they'd have to explicitly register such a thing within the public domain.

Posted by: RR Man 6013 ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 12:49AM

"Copyright" refers to such creations as books, music and movies.
You're thinking of a patent, which refers to physical creations like machines, medications, and I suppose, clothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.