Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 10:58AM

I think we can all relate to that stormtrooper lead in the movie, am I right? We saw the light like he did.

Very good movie as well especially coming off the awful prequels. JJ Abrams succeeded where Lucas failed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:04AM

Dumbledore dies at the end.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:08AM

There's probably a cute robot in it.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 12:00PM

At least Jar Jar isn't in it. Good riddance to JJB.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:21AM

Can you hear the music okay, or is the volume turned down?

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:43PM

I like your comment about Fin seeing the light.

I saw the movie last night and I thought it was very good.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 02:44PM

Loved it!

Your Fin comment is spot on.

And who could have predicted that Luke Skywalker is a time traveler and is actually Darth Vader's Father!

(jokes)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 03:23PM

Jar Jar Binks is the lovechild of Walt Disney's Goofy and Scooby Doo's Shaggy. One hell of a bad idea, and in the running with the Ewok Snuggles bears for taking down the franchise.

I haven't seen the new one yet, but I'm glad that they brought back Hands So Low and Princess Lay Ya. And to prove they're not foolin' around, Luke Skylarker. I guess they replaced that little robot that looked like a theme park trash can with a smart volleyball.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:50PM

The current theory holds that Jar Jar Binks is actually a Sith Lord!

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:57PM

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 03:45PM

Is it any better than the moronic Star Trek Into Darkness that Abrams did? That was a waste of time and money...

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 06:02PM

I liked Into Darkness.

Posted by: goodlyexmormon ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 09:03PM

I assure you that it is better than Into Darkness

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 04:33PM

On second viewing today... At least JJ cut down on the lens flare!!! It isn't as noticeable !!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 08:23PM

Internationally it's grossed 250 million at the box office since opening on Thursday.

Through Sunday in the States it's expected to rake in another 220 million.

Not bad for its first weekend showing thus far! Way to go Disney.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/star-wars-force-awakens-hits-global-ticket-sales-250m-n483141

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 04:00PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(film)

I wonder if it would be doing this well with a budget of 11million! That's how much the first movie cost! Somehow I'd rather doubt it! And it'll would of flopped instead.

Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 08:49PM

I work at a movie theatre, won't say it for a while

Posted by: danbo ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 03:34AM

I did with PollyDee. And there were several times that I felt "The Spirit" every bit as strong as my self-induced spritual experiences when I wore a white shirt and name tag.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:06AM

Haven't seen it and don't plan to.

I saw the first three, and enjoyed them even though like most sequel series it went downhill as the episodes progressed. Not as much as Police Academy or Men in Black, but some. The highlight of the whole series was Carrie Fisher in the metal bikini, but the rest of parts 2 & 3 were pretty sad.

Then when working as a computer programmer in 1999, I saw part 4 when the boss took us all out on the company dime. Afterwards I said to myself, "At least I didn't pay my own money for that." The great race in the desert was ripped off from Charlton Heston in "Ben Hur," The Jar Jar Binks character didn't do anything for me, and the battle scene animations just lacked something. Since then I've stayed home.

Looks like it's highly popular and profitable, but then so was "The Beverly Hillbillies."

Bah, Humbug.

Date: December 20, 2015 04:01PM

Don't you mean it's a cash grab!??

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 09:50AM

I love Star Wars so - what a fucking waste of my time. Why the same plot? Weak acting. Harrison Ford was great but. At the end, when we see Luke - gee what a downer. It would have been better if it was Doctor Who or Spock.

I almost feel asleep. So disappointing- just like going to Sacrament Meeting expecting to be uplifted.

Just being honest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 09:50AM by themaster.

Date: December 20, 2015 04:03PM

Is the rumor true that it's a remake of "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope"?

Posted by: Darth Vader ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 03:17PM

Is it as boring as the 1st one I was in? Never understood why these were popular.
Probably need therapy. I never watch the Super Bowl either.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 04:42PM

3 times so far. Also had to buy a BB8 for my xmas gift to my self. It's pretty cool. It is learning about me as I type this.

Date: December 20, 2015 07:15PM

For those as clueless as me, BB8 is the rotund droid selected to be the new R2D2... And you can get it at BestBuy!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sphero-bb-8-app-enabled-droid-by-sphero-white/4316601.p?id=1219726336859&skuId=4316601

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 07:43PM

We JUST got back from seeing it. Everyone in our group liked it really well. I liked it - sort of - but was sleepy to start with and actually drifted off once or twice.

But there were no goofy characters, thank goodness, and I thought they did a good job with the older actors (Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher) - let them have serious roles.

Not the best THEATER experience for me. The guy next to me loudly consumed a large bag of popcorn - (crinkling the bag, crunching etc) and FINALLY FINALLY finished it and put the bag on the floor. Then someone in his party gave him THEIR bag of popcorn, so he noisily went through a SECOND big bag as well. I think the movie was more than half way through before he finally quit eating. Of course, he had to drink a lot after that. It wasn't until he finished that I could finally concentrate more on the movie. I wish I could tune out that kind of thing more - or better yet, that they'd stop selling crunchy foods and anything packaged in paper or cellophane bags at the movies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 07:45PM by seekyr.

Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:55PM

I don't go to theaters, and I have only seen the first one (in Orem, '79), but I like the message of the whole series taken as a whole. It is a cautionary tale about the decay of democracy and the rise of totalitarianism, such as we are witnessing and experiencing in the USA today. Palpatine and the Sith lords have established their dominion, and will soon declare their planet-wide empire openly, it would seem.

Here's a link to a good essay detailing the process ala "Star Wars":

http://www.zengardner.com/the-plot-of-star-wars-frighteningly-resembles-modern-day-america/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 09:11PM

as long as we have bread and circuses nobody will give a shit.

Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 11:39PM

yah, got that right Dave...

Posted by: Templeendumbed nli ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 08:57PM

So, what does Spock do in this one? Or is he dead before this one? Does anyone decide to pull out a cardboard sword to fight off lasers shot from super guns? Just curious at the level of dipshittedness before I decide to spend money to see it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 09:09PM

I'll wait until it comes to the dollar theaters.

Date: December 20, 2015 09:20PM

I'll wait til it comes to the dollar popcorn theaters.

Posted by: Darth Vader ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 09:28PM

We don't have any dollars theatres here anymore. Wish we did. 12.00 to 17.00 is a lot for a ticket.
IMAX can be more for weekend evenings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.