Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runner ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 09:48PM

I'm not stupid and I should have known this happens, but seriously? I happen to have a designer purse. I have never had one in my life and never cared one bit about designer anything. There is a story behind me buying this purse and I actually quite love it! But today while at a car dealership, I was treated so differently than I'm usually treated. The purse was mentioned in conversation.
I have the same capability of buying a car as I did before the designer purse. Seriously! This whole life seems so fake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 10:24PM

I bet I'd be treated differently if I carried around a designer purse, too.
But for different reasons. ;-) (hint: I'm not female)

But yeah, appearances matter. Sometimes more to mormons than many others, but they still matter to others, too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 10:54PM

I have been judged by others based what I owned...or didn't. I take note of such persons and file their names in my useless POS file.

RB

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:01PM

Hey!!!!

I've got one of those files too!!!!

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:03PM

In a very short stint in the car business (3 years), a man came onto the lot riding an old bike. Nobody got off their arse to talk to him except me. As he rode away, I took a pretty good ribbing about waisting my time. Later that afternoon, he rode back up, paid me $4500+ttl, threw his bike in the back of an old truck (new to him) and I collected about a $400 commission check. Everybody has the potential to have money.

Date: January 04, 2016 11:30PM

The whole thing made me laugh inside. My purse happens to match my coat, not on purpose. I think I must look like one of those ladies that has a purse to go with every outfit. Little do they know, I'm a small town girl that orders steak when my husband orders a salad!
I love the story of the guy riding in on his bike to buy a truck. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy owns some business somewhere and is doing very well for himself.

Posted by: plj ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:59PM

I'm a guy and carry a purse and do get looks, and it has never help when buying a car. Okay it's not actually a purse purse. Some call it a man bag, mail pouch, or travel pouch. Call it what you want it still looks like a purse and serves the same purpose. They are very popular in Europe and in other countries. I am not gay but many gays also carry them. You can't imagine how handy a purse is. I can carry more than I could ever get into my pockets and don't wear holes in them. So guys get liberated, carry a purse.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:24AM

I got treated like royalty when I took my designer purse to a restaurant a few years ago. I didn't realize why I was getting treated like some queen until my daughter mentioned that it was probably the purse.
Wow! I got the purse at a garage sale for $9.50!! I guess the people hosting the garage sale didn't know the value or didn't care. I didn't buy it because of the designer. I bought it because of the color and size. It is maroon and very nice.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:27AM

This reminds me of being an RM at the Y, but instead of designer purse, I had on designer underwear.

Wearing garments, with no wedding ring... Those were heady days!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 09:05AM

For a more posh appearance to fool the peons into treating other peons as their betters. :)

Out of curiosity, what designer? Different designers are more coveted than others.

What makes me laugh is I get more compliments on my $20 bohemian, patchwork bag than my "knockoff" designer bag that started falling apart.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 09:28AM

I'm still not "into" designer purses.

Never was. Can't see spending that kind of money on one. I find styles I like in a more affordable price range. And.that.makes.me.happy.

:)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 10:07AM

Nuts to designers.
I want to design my own.
Pockets. Gotta have lotsa pockets.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 10:20AM

Unfortunately, the scene from Pretty Woman when she tries to go buy a dress is accurate. And, yes, much of this life is fake.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 10:33AM

I'm treated different when I'm with my boyfriend. He either just has that look of demanding respect (which could be), he doesn't look like a mormon at all, and in Utah it is important to have a man. It amazes me how much different I get treated with him around.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 11:28AM

Some people may be impressed by designer stuff.

But, It can also be that the person who is outfitted with designer stuff feels better about themselves and as a result they project a different attitude or aura that causes others to react differently toward them.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 01:33PM

When I walk into a restaurant wearing a suit and tie I am treated entirely differently than entering the same restaurant wearing jeans and a pull over shirt.

Believe appearance make a difference.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 03:59PM

Yes, I think it's telling when people are impressed by material things. I believe it speaks to their character, at least this has been my personal experience.

Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 04:13PM

My hairdresser's prices are different for each customer. She told me her prices are higher for those w/ designer purses & clothing.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 10:41PM

The funny thing is that a Facebook friend of mine started a discussion on this, where people with a designer purse or dressed in what looks like expensive clothing get treated differently than someone in jeans and t-shirt. In fact, that dress buying scene from Pretty Woman was mentioned in the original Facebook post.

As for me, I'm not into designer purses or designer anything that much, as when it comes to purses, I like to have pockets inside for keys, a cellphone, and other things. I do have one purse that matches a shirt of mine, but it's purely coincidental.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 10:50AM

I have a simple little satchel purse. It has only two inside pockets.

To fix that I bought a purse perfector. Awesome. Everything fits inside that and it can be moved from purse to purse.

http://purseperfector.com

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 11:00AM

I am blind to what kind of a purse a women carries, so with me it wouldn't work. They could have a cheap Walmart purse or an expensive designer purse, I can't tell. I notice more the kind of clothes and cleanliness of a person. I try not to judge, but I know that I do.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 11:04AM

Ugh.

My bestie used to work for Louis Vuitton, so needless to say, I'm all stocked up.

But that girl has at least 9 bags that rank from $1,700 to 4,500 each.

EACH! Not counting wallets, pochettes, make-up bags, etc.

Christ almighty.

I have been given better customer service when my bag is on the counter. I refuse to carry that LV monogram on a large piece, but mine is still very obviously LV provided you know the product line.

Jokes on my friend. She had a kid 2 years ago, hasn't bought herself a bag since!!

Date: January 06, 2016 11:10AM

When I see a woman beating mistreating kids or animals, I know that's something she is probably not faking. A purse doesn't make up for that.

Another generality: watching how someone treats a person who has no power or ability to help that someone climb the ladder of success. When I played the role of Mexican busboy, I engaged with a lot of pretty people who didn't know how ugly they really were.

Date: January 06, 2016 06:03PM

To answer the question of what kind of purse I have, it is a Michael Kors. I'm questioning if this is considered designer now. It definitely wasn't $1700! But I do love it. My daughter was home from college and talked me into buying it for myself so now when I'm complimented on it, I think of her.

Now lets talk shoes! JK

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:13PM

When I took up trapshooting in 1977 the matriarch of a local family who were members of our club and who all shot a particular brand of shotgun, would hardly give me the time of day until I purchased my "approved" shotgun. I didn't buy it to curry favor with her, but because I wanted the best equipment I could afford. I'm still shooting that gun and she's nowhere to be seen.

Ron Burr

Posted by: drq ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:19PM

It says :

This is a woman who can afford to spend thousands on a purse.

This is a woman who will spend thousands on a purse.

Therefore, this is a woman who will spend whatever it costs to buy whatever she wants -- including a new car.

Not saying it's necessarily true, but that's the stereotype they are working from.

I, on the other hand, project the image of a woman who knows the value of a dollar and makes damned sure she gets good value for money.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:21PM

If I have to return something, i'll polish my nails and wear my best jewelry. Then I go in with the return and am very nice. It works every time.

Date: January 06, 2016 06:44PM

And it doesn't hurt to be driving a Three Pointed Star ;-)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:57PM

:) How did you know?

Date: January 06, 2016 08:31PM

Some people are Catholics, some are baptists. We're Mercedes people.

You mentioned it once in a posting about cars or treating yourself or something. I never forget Mercedes people. :-) I cannot imagine owning any other brand.

Date: January 06, 2016 09:52PM

You obviously never owned a Studebaker !!!!

Posted by: fakeempire ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 07:13PM

I'm not at all impressed by people who carry designer purses. If anything, it's off-putting to me. I realize it's my opinion, but I think spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a purse is ridiculous. I have never spent more than $30 on a purse.

Then again, I'm not much for designer anything. Hell, there have been times when I've been at places like TJ Maxx and have seen something that catches my eye, only to realize it's some sort of designer after I pick it up to have a better look. I put it right back on the rack, even if I truly like it and it's not unreasonably priced. I just don't care, and I don't want people to think I do or treat me differently, etc. The only clothing I'll spend more money on is athletic apparel, because if it's high quality (and thus more durable), it does cost more and it's worth it to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.