Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: irishrose ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 05:06PM

As some of you may remember, I wrote my first post out of the extreme frustration I felt after I received some bishop's response to my notice of resignation. Although a few people did not share the loathing I felt from the bishop's high handed response, I was greatly buoyed by the love and support I felt from the feelings shared in response to my post. As a Mormon woman, I have been on the receiving end of so much condescension that I have no truck with that particular mindfu**. For example, I remember when I was applying to law school, I had to deal with the Y again. When I graduated from the Y I received absolutely zero in the way of career counseling or encouragement for grad school. So a few years after graduation, I took the LSAT with the idea that I would fail wildly and put that old dream out of my head. As usual, my plan did not work; I scored in the 98th percentile. At that point, I had law schools asking me to apply. So I did. I asked the head of my department, a prof from whom I had taken many courses, to write a letter of recommendation; he graciously agreed. But he just had to be a bit of a Mormon jerk in the process. The patriarch in him couldn't write a straight forward statement as to whether I had the mental heft for grad school. No. In the formal recommendation, he wrote that aside from my calling of being a wife and a mother, I would make a fine attorney. And then in his cover letter to me, he had to question why I would want to attend a Jesuit law school rather than coming back to the Y. This same man knew I graduated in under three years because I hated BYU so much.

Suffice it to say, many long held resentments came rushing from my cerebellum when the local window washer/weekend clergy suggested that I needed his permission to resign. Bishop said what?

But apparently my reply to the bishop's nastygram had the desired effect. Upon my arrival home after a short trip to South Beach, I had a lovely confirmation of my resignation in the mailbox. And to my ever-living surprise, the note from SLC was pithy and gracious. All told, the process took approximately two weeks.

Thank you to the hosts, moderators and members of RfM. I had mentioned that when my Catholic mother passed away, I went to a therapist for some time to sort through my many experiences (like the fact that they gave my Catholic mother a Mormon funeral) and feelings (my father became an absolute jerk to me). I had a good childhood, not any of the extreme abuse that so many on this board have suffered. There was a lot of conflict because of coming from a mixed marriage (like when the church tried to get my father to divorce my mother), but it was.... wholesome. And then the therapist explained that I never felt loved. Oh did I protest! Of course I felt loved. They told me they loved me. They were generous with me. They didn't beat me. Of course, I was loved. But then he explained.

The beginning of love is understanding. We only feel love when it is predicated on being understood and then accepted. What the therapist said was true and resonated to my very core. I won't go into all the reasons, but they never understood me. Not even now. In fact maybe less now than ever. They loved me the best they could, but the foundation for feeling love was never there.

But it is here. This not so little cove, alee from the winds of conformity, is a respite of welcome. For the oddly cerebral. For the rejected. For the mislabeled. For the labeled. For the libeled. There is understanding here. Thank you for helping me feel not so alone in these murky waters of ex-mormondom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 05:22PM

Thank you, irishrose. Your post was very educational for me. Women are treated so strangely that it's hard to grasp unless you've grown up with it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 05:36PM

Congrats on a speedy resolution -- even if you had to "lawyer up" on them to get it.

Not ever having been a woman, I probably will never understand what women in TSCC go through...but I did recognize it (early), and tried not to repeat it while I was in, and even more so being out.

I agree completely with your therapist, by the way -- love means being accepted and understood as you are. It's not the conditional "love" (as long as you comply with mormonism's rules) that exists in the church. I've tried very hard to make sure my own kids know I love them, as they are, no matter what. Hope they got it :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 06:03PM

irishrose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But it is here. This not so little cove, alee
> from the winds of conformity, is a respite of
> welcome. For the oddly cerebral. For the
> rejected. For the mislabeled. For the labeled.
> For the libeled. There is understanding here.

Oh, yes...your words echo so closely my own feelings when I first stumbled in here...a stranger who [oddly] did not feel in the least strange...more like I had arrived "home."

I am glad that you are now free, and that RfM was a part of that process of understanding, and of being understood.

:) :)

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 17, 2016 06:52PM

"The beginning of love is understanding. We only feel love when it is predicated on being understood and then accepted. ..... but they never understood me. Not even now. In fact maybe less now than ever. They loved me the best they could, but the foundation for feeling love was never there."

Acceptance is contrary to the mormon theology. The entire foundation of the religion is destroyed by real love.

Posted by: Anon tonite ( )
Date: February 18, 2016 12:51AM

You had me at window washer / weekend clergy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.