Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 03:17PM

This pat week, I was substitute teaching at the public middle school in the small Utah town where I live. I was so surprised when I walked down a hall and the walls were completely covered with posters made by the students regarding holy week. In this community I suppose it is 85 percent or more LDS. It was obvious that the students must have spent quite a bit of classroom time learning about the activities of this week, Palm Sunday, Holy Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and then Easter.
I recall the first time I was hired as a musician at a Presbyterian church, I had no idea what the church calendar was all about and people were quite shocked that I had absolutely no idea what the different church seasons were or the significance in Christianity as to special days. These kids are going to be more prepared when going out into the world understanding this, but also, I question the motives of teaching this in a public school. Especially with references to the Lord, resurrection, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:44AM

Palm Sunday should be celebrated with Rosie and her five sisters. The other names aren't as apparent.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:56PM

Why is a public middle school full of religious posters of ANY kind? Mormon, catholic, christian, muslim, buddhist, whatever?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 01:10PM

Mormon leaders have their palms out every Sunday of the year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.