Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy_stev3 ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 02:46AM

A bright yellow paper with a caution-tape border was delivered to my work address in Logan reading the following:
"Dear friends:
this is not a letter of solicitation but one of WARNING. everyone can feel that many things are changing. we here at WET now understand what could be happening soon into the future and are interested in helping you and even our selves prepare for the future. We think that right now is still the time to get ready. we don't think it is too late yet!! What we see is a drought in the heart of our bread baskets, a collapse in the economy and maybe an attack on the electrical grid. all of these things could happen one of the time or all at once and very soon, whichever, but it will mean a halt in the ability to obtain food. grocery stores will empty out Food Supplies will stop and in some cases fuel supplies will stop, and we will all be left to fend for ourselves. It will also cause a situation where roving mobs and gangs will start stealing from those who have. When people don't have any food for say 3 to 5 days they lose all sense of reason, so the time is right now, today, to get started so work hard on your storage. some say we are safe, or we have time, or things are good, or the economy in Utah is the best anywhere, or we will be ok, or the church will take care of us, or I live next to good Mormons and they have everything and will share. many so-called good Mormons are not prepared either. we feel it is much better to heed the warnings for parent help yourself or you can always join a gang and still from those who have or just die. Again you need to start now while there's still stuff in the stores before they empty out. we are sending this letter is a letter of Hope and of warning any preparations made by all of us help us all anything you don't do could put you on the streets within 3 to 5 days robbing and plundering her something to eat please take heed and prepare prepare prepare!!!! You still have time."

You can't make this shit up, people. Any idea who this WET organization is or where this latest round of end if the world fantasizing is coming from? Or is it just your everyday paranoia that comes from the LDS sheeple?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 02:57AM

TSCC will not take care of ANYONE !

During the last economic collapse TSCC told their members that they were on their own and to not expect any help from the church.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:17PM

...but but they have a lot of cattle and wheat..surely they care.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 02:59AM

Whoever WET is should be arrested for attempting to start a riot. GAWD I'm so happy I left UTARD!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 06:18AM

Read all about it from The Herald Journal (of Logan), and note that the news story found at this link contains a much longer version of the flyer message in a column down the left side of the page):

http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/take-heed-and-prepare-doomsday-flyer-creates-cache-valley-stir/article_c5508b8e-cde4-5430-a429-d8e7e006a640.html

(Why do I get the feeling these people might own stock in one of the local emergency-preparedness-supply companies?)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 03:44PM by lurking in.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 06:21AM

Sounds like the insane ramblings of an incredibly deluded person, or perhaps group, of people.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 10:09AM

Check out survivalconvention.com

All you need to see is the first page.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 11:24AM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 11:36AM

They need an editor. sheesh!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 11:54AM

I thought it was ridiculous. Can't believe someone would put a lot of money into mailing this and I was actually surprised the postal service would deliver this. It really was quite bizarre.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 03:16PM

Nothing hysterical about that. The funny thing is, I heard that nonsense all my life. It never happens. "Late Great Planet Earth." We'll never see 1985. Buy more storage food now. There's no way you'll be throwing it out when it expires and spending your kid's college fund on the next round. Hey, you could really buy a whole bunch of apocalypse cuisine if you move into a smaller house and make your sons live in the garage. No way will they grow up resenting your dumb ass, because Jesus will be back before that happens.

Posted by: The Ohio State ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 09:06PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing hysterical about that. The funny thing is,
> I heard that nonsense all my life. It never
> happens. "Late Great Planet Earth." We'll never
> see 1985. Buy more storage food now. There's no
> way you'll be throwing it out when it expires and
> spending your kid's college fund on the next
> round. Hey, you could really buy a whole bunch of
> apocalypse cuisine if you move into a smaller
> house and make your sons live in the garage. No
> way will they grow up resenting your dumb ass,
> because Jesus will be back before that happens.

Yep. Me too. It was always the same nutcases in the stake that were passing around these doomsday predictions. In fact one of these @$$clown families now lives in Logan. I would hazard a guess that they are helping to spread the message and there is no way they are not lapping it up and stockpiling food and weapons.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 03:38PM

A lot of high up mormons own & operate food storage, emergency preparedness & survival outlets. It's in their best interest to promote disaster coming right around the corner. I have a couple of neighbors that are always pushing survival, food, etc. They brag about the amount of stuff they have. They also know nothing about firearms or self defense. My plan? I've got a great pistol, .308, & shotgun. If things go south, I know where I can get all the food & water that we'll need.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 04:22AM

Yeah, both the survivalist outfits and the morg have the same thing in common: They market FEAR.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 05:31AM

They're all ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Posted by: munch ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 09:13AM

Why, if they so look forward to the CK, would they be so afraid of death?

What about that lil' sparrow that is so well tended by god?

Preppers betray their lack of faith. "Bands of roving..." - I guess they would kill other hungry people trying to steal their food. "Tell no one, not even your children..." Right. Because the kids don't already know that you're a complete lunatic.

Every now and then, the world goes crazy. It doesn't mean that you should let it take you there, too.

My parents were crazy. Just needed to vent.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 09:41AM

"...we are sending this letter is a letter of Hope..."

Seriously folks! You can't buy better comedy that this!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 09:54AM

"All Of this has happened before and will happen again..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Tao_%28True_Way_Cult%29

http://www.watchman.org/articles/cults-alternative-religions/gods-salvation-church/

This New Religious Movement was a mix of Buddhism, Taoism, and UFOlogy. They emphasized transmigration of souls and three souls per person, and placed great emphasis on spiritual energy. They also believed in "outside souls" who basically acted as bad influences in human world or even as demons.

Chen believed that the Earth went through five tribulations going back to the age of the dinosaurs. Each of these tribulations were survived by beings living in North America who were rescued by God in a flying saucer. He believed the solar system is 4.5 trillion years old, or roughly 300 times the age science gives for the Universe. He believed that the solar system was created by a nuclear war.
Failed prophecy

The group is best known for a highly publicized, and failed, millennial prophecy. Shortly after moving to Garland in August 1997, Chen predicted that at 12:01 a.m. on March 31, 1998 God would be seen on a single television channel all across North America. Whether or not the person had cable service was irrelevant to God's appearance on that channel.

The group reportedly moved to Garland because the name sounded like "God Land." At the time the group had roughly 160 members, 40 of which were children. Members purchased more than 20 homes in an upper-middle class south Garland neighborhood. Like their neighbors, these followers were white-collar professionals, some of whom were reportedly wealthy. "They dressed in white, wore cowboy hats and drove luxury cars," according to The Dallas Morning News. "They reportedly believed that two young boys in their group were the reincarnations of Jesus and Buddha. They told reporters they had come to Garland to watch God come to Earth and take human form at 10 a.m. on March 31, 1998, at the home of Mr. Chen, a former college professor."

The Garland Police Department, understanding the potential gravity of the situation, coordinated resources, including Southern Methodist University religious studies professor Lonnie Kliever, and were on stand-by when the international media began arriving in what had previously been an upper-middle class section of the Dallas suburb. "Its presence unsettled many Garland residents," wrote Adam Szubin in a law enforcement case study. "They did not understand the group's different style of dress and behavior, and many feared violence. Throughout the group's stay, the [police] department maintained contact with community members and informed them of investigation developments and contingency plans for the community's well being. "

When the predicted appearance did not occur, the group became confused. "The Chen Tao leader announced that he obviously had misunderstood God's plans, and members quietly returned to their homes," wrote Szubin. Chen offered to be stoned or crucified for the event, but no one took him up on this offer. He had earlier made a false prediction of finding a "Jesus of the West" who would look like Abraham Lincoln.
Aftermath

Unlike other millennial religious groups such as Millerites, Chen Tao seems to have effectively fallen apart after its leader's prophecies were unfulfilled. Immediately after the failed prediction some of the members had to return to Taiwan due to visa problems. In total, roughly two-thirds abandoned the group. Later the remaining members moved to Lockport, New York. They continued to wear cowboy hats, but began stating a war between China and Taiwan would lead to a nuclear holocaust. This would result in much death, but also God arriving in a "God plane" to save the members. They originally stated this would occur in 1999, but later revised the date.

Whether the group still exists is at best uncertain. The group entered a sharp decline after the failed prophecies and virtually nothing was heard of them after 2001. The current whereabouts of Hon-Ming Chen are unknown.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 11:21AM

The timing with the caucuses may be an indication who sent this?
Informal survey only registered republicans received it - get out the vote effort perhaps?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:07PM

I've never been a republican even as a TBM.

Posted by: kjensen ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 11:26AM

Just yesterday, I saw a FB post from an acquaintance, who was proudly displaying his end of the world, zombies are coming, doomsday preparations. He is a TBM and what surprised me, was the amount of weaponry, ammunition, and camouflage equipment that was on display. Yikes it was scary. I'm not sure he would be sharing with anyone, in fact, all comers will probably be shot.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:18PM

Meh...advertising gimic, and one the brethren should being of because they are using long proven tactics of scare and paranoia.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.