Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: evilapoststaedil ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:40AM

Last night the bishop and another man stopped by with their Christmas card, etc. I sent DH out to talk to them and they asked if someone offended me? We stopped going suddenly. I will admit someone ticked me off but that led to me doing online searching and THAT led me out not one person...lame

DH also told them "we decided to take a break from church" and apparently the Bishop's eyes bugged out at this..

It just all seems so fake..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:45AM

My retort to the old offended line...

"No one offended me except for maybe Joseph Smith. You know, how he married 14 year old girls, sent men on missions and then hooked up with their wives, put Emma through hell, that kind of stuff I found to be offensive. Maybe you don't?"

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:50AM

That is a great retort. One to commit to memory.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:35PM

Ditto

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:04PM

Here are my usual responses:

"It offended my sense of reason, truth, and thinking."

"Even if I actually believed that stuff, do you think I am so feeble minded that I would throw away my fate for eternity just because someone insulted my daughter's hat? Maybe some people are that shallow...."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:07PM

Or, taken another way I'd say "wow - how bad do you think Mormons are?" Because seriously, when people leave the church, people in the church automatically assume that some Mormon has behaved so offensively those who left would risk eternity in hell than spend a few hours in the presence of someone so offensive as a Mormon. Of course, no Mormon thinks of it that way. They are bashing you for being so weak you can't take whatever crap they dish out for God's sake. These are the same people that would howl like a scalded cat if you pointed out some truthful fact about Joseph Smith that makes him look bad. Or who are so offended by those who don't agree with them that they shun ex-Mormons. But offense is an insult they dish out to others while they themselves are offended by practically everything about modern day life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:14PM

Sometimes when my class is working, I'll text or call a parent. And I will always have at least one worried kid who asks, "Is that my parent?" My usual response is, "Do you need me to contact your parent?" It gets that kid to self-reflect on his or her behavior a little bit, and perhaps put a curb on it.

So you might consider doing the same thing with this sort of question. Ask, "Is there anyone in the ward who is so offensive that they would drive a believing member away?" Let the bishop or his minions sort that one out in their minds.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:29PM

Mormons are so easily offended that they assume everyone else also shares their failing. I think it comes because they have no feeling of self worth or identity beyond the organization they cling to.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:54PM

Offended? Yes, as a matter of fact, I was. My intellect was offended by the outrageous fantasy of Mormonism. My sensibilities were offended by watching pretentious people strut around in business suits with fake titles. Honestly, how many presidents can you have in one building? My nerves were offended by pressure and social judgment. My pocket was offended by hands reaching in for coin. My ears were offended by liars and prevaricators. My ass was offended by beatings and pew marathons that pinched at my buttocks.

Offended? You betcher leather bound Bunk of Mormon I was.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:44PM

Was asked this by missionaries awhile back and they did not like my answer that Yes, I was offended at being told to revere a sexual predator and con-man, Joseph Smith.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:13PM

These are all excellent responses. Thanks everyone for some great ideas for future use. I think it so crazy the Mormons think the only reason Mormons leave are because they are offended,or want to sin. I've been out 5 years,and I haven't 'sinned' once! Imagine that. Even in Mormon standards I haven't 'sinned'. I was very offended,before I left,by a new bishop who treated me much different than my ex. I was the one who was supposed to make the changes etc. Poor,poor then dh. BUT,I left because of the doctrine,lies,lies,lies.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:36PM

My only regret is that I wasn't offended years earlier.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:17PM

I was offended by the stake for going behind my back to qyestion my family about my whereabouts. I am not allowed to use the phone at work.

I was also offended for veing repeatedly pressured into bringing my family into the cult even though I had alreafy explained that my family simply declined to join.

Whenever the old "offended" line gets tossed around, the Morg should start looking in the mirror to find and examine the offensive behavior.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.