Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 04:07AM

Question for those of you who were married in the LDS Temple. What exactly are the "laws, rites and ordinances pertaining to matrimony and the New and Everlasting Covenant"...and where and when did you learn about them? Was there a class before hand that spelled them all out? I did sealings for the dead, but never did it for myself, so I'm assuming I missed the class that would have told me what all the "laws and rites" were. What did I miss? What are they?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 04:44AM

Umm, good question. I've no idea.. I was married in the temple but the day was just a blur. There was no class before hand.

Date: July 05, 2016 04:45AM

I've been on a mission, but never had heard of what my "rites" were as a married person...especially appertaining to the New and Everlasting Covenant. Does it mean my new husband has the "rite" to my body and to the bodies of additional wives?

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 08:23PM

Maybe your husband is now everlasting?

Date: July 05, 2016 04:52AM

“The new and everlasting covenant … is everything—the fulness of the gospel. So marriage properly performed, baptism, ordination to the priesthood, everything else—every contract, every obligation, every performance that pertains to the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise according to his law … , is a part of the new and everlasting covenant.
“… Therefore, all who seek a place in the kingdom of God are under the obligation and commandment to abide in the new and everlasting covenant, which is the fulness of the gospel with all its rites, covenants, gifts, and obligations” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 1:158–59).

There is also an article on the 'Mormon think' website that goes thru it all

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 12:50PM

“The new and everlasting covenant … is everything—the fulness of the gospel. So marriage properly performed, baptism, ordination to the priesthood, everything else—every contract, every obligation, every performance that pertains to the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise according to his law … , is a part of the new and everlasting covenant.
“… Therefore, all who seek a place in the kingdom of God are under the obligation and commandment to abide in the new and everlasting covenant, which is the fulness of the gospel with all its rites, covenants, gifts, and obligations” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 1:158–59).

What doe that even mean???? Let's parse it out.... The new and everlasting covenant is everything. So everyone is obligated to do everything. It is all.

Again, this church has no real doctrine that makes any sense. Everything is made up as it goes along and has no concrete definition or meaning.

By the way, a "rite" is just a ceremonial act which is different from a "right" which is a moral or legal entitlement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 12:51PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: July 06, 2016 01:56AM

Date: July 05, 2016 05:00AM

Why on earth would anyone on their WEDDING day give a TOSS about anymore Mormon doctrine that they've been listening to since birth when they are getting married to each other?

I would have hated and resented every moment if I had gotten married there and they started spouting that. I'm not interested in dead gods, dead apostles, scriptures etc when I'm focusing on marrying my spouse. I'm focusing on my spouse and my love for her I mean "him" if I had married back then.

Date: July 05, 2016 05:09AM

Yeh exactly, it's all rubbish. A secret boys club on steroids.
Why oh why did I put myself thru all that.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 05:12AM

Yes, but you're not Looney Toons either. But for those caught up in the generational crazy, it's a big deal. Watch the "Provo Girls" music video parody.

Date: July 05, 2016 05:20AM

I was as active in YW's as you could possibly be...almost never EVER missed a meeting, class or activity and I can tell you in all honesty...NO ONE EVER ONCE MENTIONED...the details about the temple...the verbage of the sealing ceremony, the sexism, the endowment, the loss of power, identity, name and personal ownership as a female, NOR did they mention that my "husband" would simply "receive" me as he would all his wives, yet I had to give my entire "self" to him...body and soul.

All they said was to get married in the temple...(having no idea what the verbage was, so you assumed it was all on the up and up), and you'd be happy as a clam forever.

Seriously,...if they EVER would have told us youth the truth of what they were seriously expecting us to do, I and many others would have BOLTED. I think I would have rather been homeless than know I was going to mime having my throat cut and knowing my parents were forcing me into it.

This is SICK!

Date: July 05, 2016 05:25AM

...when we were in CTR's we just talked about "choosing the right"..."little purple pansies", "popcorn popping" and how Jesus loved you. I thought Jesus loved "me" and I had no idea how lesser I really was just because I was female and how that would impact my entire life.

What a stupid church.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 11:01AM

To Lori's point:
The first thought I had in the temple doing my endowment, wondering at the weirdness and stupidity of it all:

"Whatever happened to the 'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam' church I thought I grew up in?"

And I wasn't even burdened with the female "obey your husband" crap.

Yep, what a stupid church.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 11:14AM

I have always always wondered what the "Law of the Lord" women are told to obey and "Law of the Father"? This is the one where women used to be told to obey their husbands and men were told to open the Lord. But things change, I guess. I think men are supposed to obey as part of the Second Token (I think?). Loud laughter and evil speaking of the Lord's annointed is mentioned in the same sentence...but the way it is worded, these are not part of that law....but in addition to.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 05, 2016 09:29PM

ask the law of the land that MORmON Jesus creator of the universe had to defer to as the REAL caretaker/ proprietor of what constitutes proper marriage that MORmON god recognizes, SO MUCH for priestDUD authority of MORmON God that so readily bows to the state.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 02:35AM

I have zero recollection of what went on at the sealing alter as my BYU bride and I made our promises to the church. The only memory I retain is seeing myself in the eternal mirror, a skinny, dark brown faced Mexican kid in white toga-like affair, with a green apron, black horn-rimmed glasses, wearing a white baker's hat with a thick black hair poofing out from under the edges. As ghawd and Satan were my witnesses, people had trouble controlling their laughter.

You know what I knew about sex? How to masturbate under just about any condition a man might find himself. Not a really great basis on which to build a harmonious sexual relationship. And we never did.

The church did NOTHING to help my bride and I, other than to later put into my head the wonderful words of Mark E. Petersen, "I have never seen my wife unclothed..." Not a lot of help, that...

They spend so much time and effort telling you what not to do with your body and zero time telling you the best way to enjoy 'body time.' The afossils and their wives should put together a photo montage tutorial that you get to take home from the temple!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 02:42AM

For at least 130 years, the preeminent rite of Celestial Marriage was sexual union between man and wife. Once a year, in the dark, without lust or desire, while wearing baggy one-piece unisex garments.

This level of ritualization and control was considered necessary to PROVE that Joseph and Brigham had never lusted, even once, in their entire lives. Plural marriage was initiated ONLY to propagate righteous offspring.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 04:03AM

Oh shucks, according to this I guess I am 'destroyed'. SUCH a shame!!! Sigh!!! BIG Sarcasm going on!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.