Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 08:38PM

On Wednesday, one of my coworkers asked me if I knew anything about the Mormon church. He knows I like to study religions, and thought perhaps I could help. He is currently living with his parents, and he had just found out that they were talking to the LDS missionaries. They had had one "discussion" already and the second was scheduled for Thursday, the 7th.

I informed him that he had come to the right place. We spent our lunch hour talking about what the LDS church really believes and does versus what they teach. To say that he was appalled would be an understatement.

I asked him to point out to his parents that the LDS have a powerful history of hatred toward people of African heritage. His family is African-American, so that got his interest.

Then I told him about the Mormon actions against gay rights. His brother is gay, so that set off all sorts of alarms.

Today my coworker informed me that his parents told the missionaries to get the h3ll off their property and that they did not appreciate liars coming to their home. Apparently, the elders tried arguing that they had not lied, but couldn't say much in the face of the information the parents now had.

Just a small victory, but nice to know it had some impact on good people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 08:42PM

And it has the potential of working to the good of the eager-beaver missionaries. It would nice if a certain amount of feedback from *investigators* actually pushed on through to their grey matter.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 08:50PM

Yes!!!

Great job! Woooo whoooo!

-Dennis

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 09:54PM

You may have saved a family from getting sucked into Mormondumb. That would be much more than a small victory.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 10:19PM

Nice! Not small at all, not small:)

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 10:47PM

Good job!

I'm guessing missionaries don't tell African Americans that the church denied black men the priesthood before 1978. Their policies toward gay couples and their children are no better.

I would also love investigators to ask missionaries about where the church money goes and to ask for financial information. Also. to ask specific questions about the temple.

If they drink coffee or tea, why give that up? It's far better than drinking sugary soda.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 04:31PM

The worth of souls is great...thanks for doing your part to keep another tithe payer off the roll...well done...those people may never know how fortunate they are that your son asked you...life has enough potholes without falling into that one

Posted by: Cochise ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 04:51PM

great job!!!! When the Mormons come....
Run

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.