Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ghostie ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 10:56PM

One can only see Zarahemla with spiritual eyes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 11:58AM

Joseph Smith could see Zarahemla from his house.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 07:52PM

Jonny the Smoke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joseph Smith could see Zarahemla from his house.

:D :D :D

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 11:12PM

Haven't seen any postings from Zarahemla Town Drunk in quite a while.

One of the best usernames on the board.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 11:00PM

And.... bronze dagger, spear point and sythe remained intact 3000 years.

Odd they didn't rust away.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 11:21PM

Bronze doesn't rust.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 02:01AM

Well canker or what ever bronze does.

My point is. Here are metal weapons and tools buried 3000 years.

The village had 30 or so inhabitants.

Go to cumorah where 240,000 nephites and an untold number of lamanites supposedly fought a battle 1500 years ago and we can't find a single weapon, piece of armor or metal pin, tool or jewelry.

Mormons love to say all the metal "rusted" away.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 06:50AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 06:51AM by anybody.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 05:49PM

Similarly we need only look in more detail at the ancient Norse settlement L'Anse aux Meadows located in northern Newfoundland. Something like 100 Norse explorers spent perhaps only a few years in this location (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Anse_aux_Meadows) which dates to about 1000 AD.

Among the discoveries were the remains of iron smelting and iron artifacts -- noted I think by scholars as the oldest documented evidence of iron or steel in the New World.

Even though the number of people at the site were few and the term of their habitation was short, multi-year archeological excavations have produced numerous remains of earthen or bog houses and other structures as well as over 2000 specific artifacts that are housed in Canadian and local museums and have also found their way as far as the Smithsonian.

100 people in only a few years can generate enough archeological material to fill up museums and millions of Nephites and Lamanities cannot produce one single artifact.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 06:40PM

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 06:49PM

Technically, it does per definition 2. Its all about oxidation on metal.

noun
1. Also called iron rust. the red or orange coating that forms on the surface of iron when exposed to air and moisture, consisting chiefly of ferric hydroxide and ferric oxide formed by oxidation.

2. any film or coating on metal caused by oxidation.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 11:44AM

In 1999, shortly after my family resigned from the church, the McClung Museum at UT-Knoxville featured an exhibit of artifacts from the re-discovered 4500-year-old city of Ur in ancient Iraq. We toured the exhibit and marveled at the exquisite gold, bronze, silver, etc. jewelry and art. Here's an article with photos:

http://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/exhibits/tombs-of-ur/

The metalwork is pretty much as intact as the day it was made.

2 Nephi 5:15 states: "And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance."

This was supposedly circa 560 B.C.---roughly half the age of the Ur artifacts---and yet, we can't find a single precious metal artifact from the BOM people anywhere in the Americas.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 11:54AM

I know wood bows as old as 3000 BC have been found in Scandinavia and Germany but not one nephite spear, arrow or bow from all of those wars have ever been found that showed any influence of Jewish or middle eastern craftmanship.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 11:51AM

thousands of years ago. My ancestors mostly came from just west of this site. I've been on the train through Peterborough many times, it looks like the site is very near the tracks that feed north south trains. Hopefully this will be open to the public in some form soon.

If you want a good laugh try to find a filmstrip called "Ancient America Speaks" we showed it all the time when I was a missionary, and all of it has proven to be bullshit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 07:37PM

I'm watching it... I think it might be true!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9LDLcIh9g

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 08:36PM

okay... I watched the entire thing.

The church is not true.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 02:31PM

Hmmmm....he takes more than the half the video to even start talking about the BoM, and calls it a "history" and "record" of the ancient inhabitants.

I guess he got thrown under the bus years later when the BoM was called "Not a history".

C'mon, get yer stories straight!!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 07:06PM

"At the 15-minute mark, this video alleges that a large stone box 'much like those in Latin America' was discovered in 1823 on a hill near Palmyra, New York. That's a fascinating archaelogical discovery! Where can we read about it in archaelogical journals? Which archaelogists have studied this box, and what conclusions have they made about it? Where can we see photos of this amazing stone box?"

My point being: Mopologists can assert that the angel Moronic took back the golden plates that were in the stone box, but that doesn't explain why there is no stone box still buried there.

This video, as well as the similar "Christ In America" filmstrip, was the standard BOM apologetics that the church officially presented in the late '60s through the '70s. I was issued the "Christ in America" filmstrip and accompanying cassette tape when I arrived on my mission in 1974.

This video also pushes the "Tree of Life" stele as "Book of Mormon evidence", which has since been debunked by Mormon scholars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 07:07PM by randyj.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 02:48PM

re: "Ancient America Speaks..."

The title says it was produced under the direction of the First Presidency and Council of the Twelve.
Which makes it an "official statement," right?

Which makes the huge amount of proven-false bullshit in it officially false statements.

Right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.