Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 12:53AM

Measuring the fallout from a summer full of box-office flops

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/measuring-the-fallout-from-a-summer-full-of-box-office-flops/ar-BBvZQDq

Was there any good or great movies this summer!?? Or was this summer just a big "blah" at the movies??? Too many reboots or sequels??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:20AM

hail caesar rocked.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:23AM

That wasn't a summer movie. I'm talking about movies released from May to August(Labor Day).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:32AM

good point.
I forgot how long it's been since I saw that movie.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:51AM

I never go to theatres...

RB

Posted by: Sideshow Bob ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:52AM

Might as well just save the ticket and popcorn money and buy a big screen TV.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:18AM

I haven't seen many movies this year and never go to the ones like Star Trek or Captain Marvel or whatever.

I went to see Finding Dory with family on Father's Day. I'm sure it was cute, I slept through a good portion of it.

I saw Sing Street, a cute British film about teens in the 80's in England and music. It sounds lame but I liked it.

And last Sunday (shhhh, don't tell the bishop) I saw Florence Foster Jenkins. I liked it more than I thought I would but Meryl Streep is always amazing, even if she's playing to the Oscars.

Other than that, I see most of my movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime. If you like Paul Rudd, Netflix has released one called The Fundamentals of Caring. I'd never heard of it but it was very entertaining.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452386/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 03:15AM

I liked Florence Foster Jenkins, Absolutely Fabulous, and Free State of Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 03:17AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 03:31AM

Actually, that's bad news for us, because those crummy flops will show up later on Netflix. They need to make good movies for us to rent.

My daughter loves Paul Rudd. Thanks!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 09:35AM

The Paul Rudd movie is definitely full of R-rated language, so depending on how old your daughter is, you may not want to let her see it.

Of course, that comes from me, as a result 50+ years of letting the church tell me that movies were bad if someone said Fuck.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 08:32AM

I only saw one film this summer, but it was a great (if very strange) one: I doubt it will get a release in the States, as it's a German film, but if you ever get the chance to see it, it's a jewel: it's called "Toni Erdmann".

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/13/toni-erdmann-review-long-german-comedy-is-slight-biting-little-miracle

Tom in Paris

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 08:49AM

I didn't see that many movies this summer, which is unusual for me. I did like Star Trek.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 12:30PM

I usually don't see movies in theaters. There's more than enough stuff to watch on TV. When you have a 60" TV, HBO, and hundreds of channels, I see no point in paying more to go out to movies. Before this summer, the last movie I saw in a theater was "Jersey Boys," and I went to that only because I've been a Four Seasons fan for half a century. And I was bothered at how that movie portrayed Nick Massi as a cartoonish goon like "Bowzer" from Shanana.

My wife likes to see movies in theaters, so this summer, she dragged me out to see "Captain America: Civil War," "Free State of Jones," and "Tarzan."

I'm tired of the superhero/Star Trek-type movies because they all contain elements of previous movie plots, and add little new stuff. Most of them are just variations of H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds" anyway. The worst thing about the Captain America movie is this current fad of the characters mumbling their lines instead of speaking clearly. I couldn't understand half of what they said. The other problem was that the kidnapped good guy looked a lot like the villain character, so I spent the first half of the movie trying to figure out who was who.

"Free State of Jones" was okay because I'm a southerner and I enjoy historical movies anyway. Some of my wife's ancestors were actually involved in that colony. I was more interested in coming home and researching the actual history of the subject, stripped of the Hollywoodization.

"Tarzan" was a politically correct absolute mess. I was a big fan of the Tarzan books and movies as a kid, and I have waited my entire life to see a movie that was faithful to Burroughs' original story. No such luck. If I had not paid to see it, and my wife had not been with me, I would have walked out about 20 minutes into it.

If movie producers want to keep audiences coming, they should make movies that are worth paying for. We watched two excellent ones on TV over the last couple of weeks: "Brooklyn" and "Room."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 12:30PM by randyj.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.