Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:58AM

I met, again, a pair of the most obnoxious Mormon missionaries I have ever encountered.

I told them exactly what I thought of them and their rudeness.

I have blogged about them before, and blogged about them again. I hope I never meet them again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 08:05AM

It's embarrassing to learn of "ugly Americans" going into other lands.

Sorry about that. : (

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 08:55AM

Matt
Were they obnoxious because they were pushing the church on you, or were they just obnoxious?
We encountered a cocky (full of himself) missionary when we were TBM in our own home. My other half told him if he carried on that way he would show him the door. He quietened down then. My other half was not one to mess with.
Don't let them spoil your day. Thank goodness for the RfM board where we can let off steam.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:18AM

Dish the dirt, Matt. You're a journalist, I want blow-by-blow quotes! And how exactly did you run across the same pair again? (I forgot whether they came to your house last time or what)

;o)

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:18AM

Tell us more, oh Matt, and do it well.

Posted by: aquarius333 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:39PM

I think if this happens again, get on your cell right there & call the cops, make a report. This is the only thing that got missionaries & some church members who, after I became inactive & told everyone in the ward I saw to not ever darken my door again. A van full of them, then showed up outside my yard fence (fence was locked) to yell at me about the church, etc. as I stayed in my house. After this went on for over 20 minutes, I called the cops. Hmmm...the harrassers didn't like that a whole lot & I was forever left alone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:11PM

Date: September 19, 2010 03:11PM

Yesterday, I had a good day. I had visited my doctor (yes, on a Saturday and for free) and gone to pay the gas and electricity bill (finally sorted out after a great deal of effort) I'd met my Managing Director and one of his children on the way back from Football practice (that's soccer, if anyone wonders) and I was almost at home having had a glorious walk in some surprisingly warm September sunshine when I was almost home when my heart sank. Oh, no! Mormon missionaries!

It was the overaggressive deadly duo I had had a run in with several weeks previously.

They have a very annoying way of approaching people on the street. They had just been told "no" by someone and switched their attention to a woman walking through a small park area at the side of the pavement (sidewalk). "Can we share our message with you?" said the more aggressive one. "No! Thank you" she said, firmly but politely.

"Oh!" He shouted at her, rudely. "So you don't believe in God?!"

I looked at his companion, who was heading towards me, a look of fervour in his eyes. "He's still very presumptive, isn't he?" I said.

Companion said: "Can we share a message with you about..." I cut him off by saying: No, thank you!"

He continued to drone on, giving me his sales script. I repeated myself. It made not a jot of difference. He went on and on.

At this point I lost my temper, somewhat. I said, very loudly: "I have said NO! I quite like the word no! It's short and to the point. It only has one syllable and two letters. N and O. I wonder which part of that rather short word you seem to have trouble grasping?"

At this point a man out walking his dog let out a snort of laughter.

The companion then said: "Well, if you are not interested in us sharing our message, perhaps you might know some people who would be interested in us sharing our message with them?"

I shouted: My God! It's like being assaulted by a religious salesman in the street! Please! Just go away! I am NOT interested!"

He then said: "Have a nice day!" To which I replied: "Yes, you have a nice day, too."

It was clear they were beyond reason and beyond debate or argument. My parents became Mormons in 1966. Throughout that time as a TBM and an exmo I have met many Mormon missionaries from all over the world from all types of backgrounds. I can honestly say I have never met a more dense and self-centred pair of plonkers as these.

Are they playing a game? Seeing how many people they can enrage?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:22PM

This unacceptable behavior and if it were me, I'd call the locals in charge and report their obnoxious arrogant rude behavior!

Date: September 19, 2010 03:28PM

Susie, I'd rather not as I do not want to cause trouble for my mum as she is getting on a bit and an active Mormon, locally.

Besides, they are damaging TSCC so VERY well!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 03:30PM by matt.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:35PM

I've been in conversations with TBMs where they flat out deny this ever happens.

I'd love to see it on youtube, Matt. Got a camera?

Date: September 19, 2010 03:40PM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been in conversations with TBMs where they
> flat out deny this ever happens.
>
> I'd love to see it on youtube, Matt. Got a camera?

That's a thought. I have. On my camera. I never thought of that. Though I dare say they wouldn't perform on cue! ;o))

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:01PM

I think they might perform on cue. There are other videos on youtube of similarly obnoxious mormon missionaries. Depending on their level of obnoxiousness, they might even be proud to have their domineering pitch captured on film. Though it might be best if you get someone else to do the refusing, and you just film. I don't know if they will do a repeat performance for you if you bring the camera.

Date: September 19, 2010 05:11PM

wittyname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they might perform on cue. There are other
> videos on youtube of similarly obnoxious mormon
> missionaries. Depending on their level of
> obnoxiousness, they might even be proud to have
> their domineering pitch captured on film. Though
> it might be best if you get someone else to do the
> refusing, and you just film. I don't know if they
> will do a repeat performance for you if you bring
> the camera.

Hopefully I'll never meet the snotty so-and-sos again! Both times I met them by chance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.