Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 10:52AM

"Suppose you found your brother in bed with your wife, and put a javelin through both of them. You would be justified, and they would atone for their sins, and be received into the Kingdom of God. I would at once do so, in such a case; and under the circumstances, I have no wife whom I love so well that I would not put a javelin through her heart, and I would do it with clean hands.... There is not a man or woman, who violates the covenants made with their God, that will not be required to pay the debt. The blood of Christ will never wipe that out, your own blood must atone for it."
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 1:108

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 10:54AM

Dude was into very violent revenge fantasy, wasn't he? He wrote similar things about loose women and interracial couples. Wonder how many TBMs would be okay with this?

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 12:06PM

I think a lot of Mormons would be ok with it.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 11:33AM

It seams that he has never heard of "ye shall not commit murder".

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 11:39AM

the same guy banged other men's wives...

I really wish i hadn't gone to BYU...

Date: August 22, 2018 12:07PM

I cringe when someone reads my resume. I really hate having that asshole's name on there.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 12:23AM

I changed it on my resume to "Harvard of the West"!!!

Now people are impressed!!!

ETA: ...still can't get a job though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 12:23AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 11:40AM

Just brings out how Brigham did not believe in the Atonement.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 11:45AM

Yes. You need a 5 minute secret ceremony first...THEN you can boink her and never see her again.

Funny how he expects women to share him but he will kill any woman who expects him to share her.

This guy is so repugnant to me. I cannot express the embarrassment I have whenever I have to state where I went to college.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 08:28PM

Secret MORmON handshakes are the thing that makes sex OK, otherwise a javelin through the heart is appropriate for those that engage in sex. It takes a real MORmON to explain this kind of stuff, and real MORmONS to believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5tD5a9k8Wo

Posted by: Godzill ( )
Date: January 05, 2015 12:12PM

That is the word I was looking for to describe that ass: REPUGNANT

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 02:56PM

I was thinking it should be the word of the day.... it's an excellent word...

REPUGNANT

it covers so many words in the lexican of mormonhood.

Thanks Dagny

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 01:18PM

For the first act of adultery you may forgive a man, but if a man beds with a woman and does it 10 times he is guilty.

Brigham Young, - D. Michael Quinn's The Mormon Hierarchy

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 06:58PM

Wo who's gunna do the counting here? LOL!!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 07:26PM

Young should be judged and punished that harshly, as he certainly deserves it, everyday as he dwells in Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpZR2hgPlw

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 05, 2015 12:00PM

"You see, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

-- Brigham Young (Heath Ledger stole it)

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: January 05, 2015 01:06PM

I have it in Volume 3 on page 247. http://jod.mrm.org/3/243

Is there another edition?

Posted by: xtremewayz ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 02:41PM

While on a mission in Boston in 1842-44, as a member of the 12 Apostles, Young had an affair with Augusta Adams Cobb, and she became pregnant, and left Boston, for Nauvoo, Illinois, where she married Young on November 2, 1843, and named the child she was pregnant with, George Brigham Cobb. The child died in 1843.

The reason this is adultery, and not just "spiritual wivery", is that Augusta was married to a living man, Henry Cobb, since 1822, at the time of the 1843 marriage to Brigham Young. They (Augusta / Henry) were not estranged or separated, etc., at the time Augusta had the affair with Young (a common excuse given by Mormon Apologists, in a attempt to avoid the adultery claim). Furthermore, Henry successfully sued to the Massachusetts State Supreme Court, in 1847, for divorce, on the grounds of adultery.

It is a matter of law and public record, that Brigham Young was an adulterer, as a Mormon Missionary and Apostle.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/60955658

From the Supreme Court - Boston
http://www.truthandgrace.com/1847youngadultery.htm

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 02:46PM

xtremewayz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a matter of law and public record, that
> Brigham Young was an adulterer, as a Mormon
> Missionary and Apostle.

Oh, good! Let's get a javelin, then, to put through his heart...just like he said we should do!

Aw, shoot. He's already dead. Dang it. :(

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 01:36AM

BY arrested 1871
Newspaper story....

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/215057

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 03:14PM

Old Brigham was a horny son of a gun,

Had no trouble telling others not to do what he had already done!

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:13PM

Another justification for the practice of marrying other men's wives that have sometimes seen is that only marriages performed by one holding the sealing power in the temple were "real" marriages, that all other marriages were invalid in God's eyes. Thus, when a Joseph Smith or Brigham Young married an already married woman, there was no adultery since the existing marriage was not valid. I somehow don't think that argument would go over very well, to in effect say that every married couple in the world is living in sin unless the marriage was performed in a Mormon temple.

I don't remember now where I read this, but I believe it was an argument used in the 1850s.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:16PM

Jesus Christ.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 03:08PM

BY is who the Lebarons got the blood atonement from, right?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 06:32PM

Fairly logical that the sin next to murder requires murder to atone for it in a power mad cult.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 07:06PM

Notice how the opposite situation is never even suggested. If she found him (or any of her husbands) sleeping with another woman.

This is about male domination of women. The spiritual tone is just a recipe for justifying it.

Posted by: joecody ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 07:15PM

Brigham Young was a jealous power hungry MF.

Do any of you remember the stories of the Danites? There are rumors that men with very beautiful wives had "accidents" and he would marry them. Rumors, but my gut says there is a shred of truth there. Either way, even if it was brief your church basically had an LDS hit squad under Brigham Young's command.

My Grandmother was raised with a version of the Book of Mormon that said that Lamanites would become "white and delightsome" when they accepted the Gospel. It was widely believed that a native, hispanic etc would become white people when they became Mormon.

Similarly because my family goes so far back in the LDS church I remember hearing things like Black people are marked as sons of Kain by Gods wrath for killing Able. Lamanates were marked for a similar disappointment, though thankfully I don't recall the complete bullshit reason.

Probably one of the worst things I've heard is from an older man in my family who passed away years ago who went on a mission in Brazil. They would get prospective families to show them family photos. The real reason? They were snooping for signs of Black people. If they found some, they would politely excuse themselves and never come back.

It amazes me that other people in my family grew up hearing that stuff and don't question it one bit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 07:21PM by joecody.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 09:30PM

I am 72. I very well remember the racist doctrines you are referring to. It was common knowledge about Lamanites becoming " white and delightsome" and black people cursed because they came through the lineage of Cain who was cursed for killing Able. They were not valiant in the pre existence war in heaven so they came to earth as part of the cursed lineage. I thought everyone knew that was Mormon Doctrine. I learned it as a kid in the 50's and as a missionary in the 60's. It wasn't part of the missionary discussions, but was well known.

That's just part of it...if you study up you'll see it just gets worse.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:44PM

It really wasn't all that long ago that they were STILL teaching the things you put in your post.

And my current boyfriend's great grandfather was a danite, who left the church and went back to Ohio. I wish I knew more of his story, but I don't. I only get bits and pieces now and then. But his last name was Taylor. My boyfriend has never been a mormon, nor has his family because his GGF left. He does have relatives who are mormon.

But you don't have to be dead to have been in the "church for that long."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 06:46PM by cl2.

Date: August 22, 2018 12:06PM

Nothing says love more than threatening to put a javelin through someone's heart. I can see the Hallmark card now:

"I love you wife #34! Just don't cheat on me or I will put a javelin through your heart. <Smiley face>"

The Mormon church is good at whitewashing history and making Brigham and Joseph seem like decent men when they were anything but. Telling the truth has never been a Mormon attribute.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 12:17AM

Supposed you returned from your overseas mission and found the prophet in bed with your wife...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 01:40AM

Why a javelin? A sack of flour is so much more satisfying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.