Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:03AM

Four French cartoonists were killed today in a terrorist attack at the offices of the Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris. So far there are twelve known victims in total.

Jean Cabut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabu

Stéphane Charbonnier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charb

Bernard Velhac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tignous

Georges Wolinski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Wolinski

Also among the dead were:

Economist and journalist Bernhard Maris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Maris

Travel author and commentator Michel Renaud
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&u=http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/charlie-hebdo-le-clermontois-michel-renaud-mort-dans-l-attentat-07-01-2015-1894763_23.php&usg=ALkJrhjDLlLrmQN7ZKXjlPBkKdeKR97ODA

For Steve Benson:
My sincerest condolences for the lost of your French colleagues. To kill artists for their art is a crime against all humanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 02:22PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:12AM

It's all the fault of Sam Harris

Posted by: yogaman ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:53AM

/rant on...

I am so angry about this. I'm so sick to death of pfucking over-the-top religious people. You know the type: those who would wish physical or spiritual violence on someone else for not believing or respecting their religion's tenets.

It's time to start singling out certain brands that are extremely toxic: certain strains of Islam (e.g., ISIS), particular strains of born-again Christians and evangelicals who have apocalyptic views and wish their Jesus to kill others in an end-of-the-world scenario, fundamentalists of all stripes (yes, I'm talking about you Pat Robertson), and any Mormons who would wish to hurt us less/non-believing folks, LGBTs, or anyone who doesn't think like them, etc.

If you are religious but have a live-and-let-live attitude, then this post isn't directed at you. If you are a Mormon or Muslim, for example, and have no penchant for violence then that's fine, keep your religion and I hope it helps you. This post is to point out the wingnuts out there.

I foresee a day when we are going to have to fight fundamentalist lunatics of nearly every stripe. I wish these Muslim terrorists were all that there was but I don't think that is true. We also have lunatics in all other religions. Although most are not radicalized yet, many are just pfucking crazy enough that it wouldn't take that much. Hey Ted Bundy - I'm talking about nut-jobs like you!

/rant off

I feel really sad today, but mostly I'm angry. I'm just pissed as hell at fundy religious people right now. Don't worry...I'll get over it. I'm just tired of seeing so many people get hurt - and even killed - over religion!

Date: January 07, 2015 11:29AM

+1.0x10^9

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 12:09PM

I don't think the attackers should be called terrorists. They should be called Islamic extremists. The attack was a religiously motivated revenge killing of individuals responsible for publishing cartoons that insulted the prophet Mohammed.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 01:01PM

Meh..they're terrorist's..geesh.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 12:25PM

So insulting the Profit Monson doesn't provoke a Jihad on yer apostate ass like insulting the Prophet Mohamed....go figure...

Ron Burr

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 12:57PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So insulting the Profit Monson doesn't provoke a
> Jihad on yer apostate ass like insulting the
> Prophet Mohamed....go figure...

It used to. BY especially was known to go after people who challenged or insulted him.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 01:14PM

Still amazed that BY never got whacked.

Ron Burr

Posted by: HorizontalPlay ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 01:20PM

Never say never... sounds like he was actually poisoned.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 12:47PM

OMG - and Bernard Maris too ?

He was a fantastic commentator of all things economic.

I hate religions.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 01:43PM

Something like Smith destroying the printing press but worse.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 01:59PM

...for mocking and insulting the holy prophet Mohammed.

The government of France should have shut down that magazine and jailed all of its publishers years ago.

You know, sorta like those Obama administration officials, including Hillary Clinton and Susan Rice, said should be done to that American guy who produced an anti-Muslim video which they claimed to have caused the Benghazi consulate attack two years ago. They arrested that guy and put him in jail for months. I still don't know what, if anything, he was ever charged with.

People should know better than to mock and insult one of the world's great religions!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:27PM

As usual, religion is behind mass bloodshed. FUCK YOU GOD.

if there was one, which there isn't.

Date: January 07, 2015 02:30PM

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:37PM

Most of the world's muslims aren't terrorists. But most of the world's terrorists are muslims.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:41PM

before he does more harm or has a chance to enjoy his freedom.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 04:19PM

....but unfortunately, there are probably tens of millions more just like them, living in just about every nation in the world, who are ready and willing to attack all perceived opponents of Islam. And most of them don't care if they get killed in the process, as long as they can take out a few infidels.

These attacks will continue until the entire western civilized world decides to get serious about preventing them. Appeasement and political correctness have never and will never resolve this issue.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 04:43PM

. . . an international cartoonist conference just outside Paris. The citizens of that proud nation are fiercely secular, robustly independent and avid supporters of editorial cartooning. They do not put up with attempts by violent religious extremists to invade the public square in the name of their mythical deities and attempt to murderously quash free speech/dissent. That is underscored by the fact that, in honor of all those who died today (including not only the cartoonists, but their editor, two policemen and others), the country's president has ordered flags be placed at half-mast for 3 days.

It's absolutely disgusting the degree of inhumanity that people will inflict on their fellow human beings in the name of "God."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 04:47PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.