Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 10:15AM

Have been going there for nearly six years. That is the LONGEST time I've been to ANY one church or denomination since leaving Mormonism. I must have a hard time with change, because our rabbi is leaving to move to Israel, and has been gone for a few weeks already.

He was a great unifier for our congregation, and a charismatic leader. Now the place seems listless and lifeless. The heart has gone out of our synagogue by his leaving. Having not grown up in that religion, I'm not as vested as those around me there are, who've spent their lives in either the same house of worship, or the same denomination.

There are a handful of converts, not many. A Cuban lady and another Cuban family who recently converted both up and left when the rabbi did. He was the glue for many there, I do believe.

There are other synagogues near where I live. But neither feeling much like a Reform Jew or an Orthodox Jew, or the other variations out there, I really like being a Conservative Jew.

Now I'm back to square one again. A Jew without a home. And an ex-Mormon who is only too happy to be a wandering Jew. What to do, what to do? Maybe nothing is better than jumping into the wrong church for want of someplace to go!

Having been a former Mormon makes it hard to want to get heavily involved in any other religion - this was one that just felt like I belonged. Until our rabbi took his leave.

I liked to believe I was going for the prayer services all this time. Since he's left, I now realize it may have been because of his masterful sermons that inspired and uplifted. He was truly one in a million, and will be very hard to replace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 10:25AM

I think that the leadership for a house of worship can make a huge difference. I attended a church in NYC for a long time based on the strength of the preaching of its head minister. I'm sorry that you feel adrift. Perhaps you could give the Reform synagogue a try. Or cast your net further afield.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 11:19AM

Thanks, Summer.

My German Jewish ancestors were Reform Jews. That may have evolved since they lived, to what it is today. I've been to a few Reform services, and they didn't feel as centered or as grounded as the Conservative have.

So we'll see. The Reform synagogue my ancestors went to in SLC was sold off during the 1970s and merged with the Orthodox synagogue there. Today it's best described as a Conservative, according to a woman where I live who spent 15 winters in SLC for skiing with her then husband, now deceased.

Wonder what my great grandmothers would say about that? Change in the life of a Jewish synagogue is not out of the ordinary. It's almost expected. I still have to get used to that mentality. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 11:20AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.