Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Dad ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 08:55PM

Just watched Lawrence Welk rerun on TV with elderly TBM parent, one of the things I rarely do but thought it would make said parent happy because he loves that kind of thing.

Toward the end of the show, which is broadcast on PBS, I started to feel queasy as they interviewed a former Welk show singer, to ask what she's doing now etc. This woman started talking about all her children (naming off a long list of them, and how each one was married with x number of children, doing a, b and c) and continually using the word "we are so blessed" "they are such a blessing" "He or she is such a blessing to our family..."

and finally, it became clear she is a Morgbot after she said, "And our youngest is a BYU International Folk dancer." It totally ruined the evening for me, as it sounded like a testimony by the woman ... very nauseating. She seemed incredibly naive in her comments as the PBS interviewer tried to ask her about her current life etc. As she did, the Morgbot could only talk about how music needed to be uplifting... Such a rehash of typical Mo-speak, nothing original out of her mouth.

What was kind of funny was when she was asked to comment on the late Mr. Welk and she said he used to make her (and presumably a few other Morgbots who sang on his show) laugh, when he'd call them members of the "Mormon Pumpernickel Choir" :) That's what I'm going to call it from now on!!! Way to go, Lawrence!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:14PM

I like watching Lawrence Welk... especially when they sing songs like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

But yeah, that sounds like a nightmare of an evening.

Posted by: Canuckexmo ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:32PM

Pit seem PBS has Mormons working there. After all, they agreed to the PBS special that aired a few years ago "The Mormons" and they seemed eager to interview former Welk show singers who are TBMs etc.

It's a bit funny to me, in that in Canada, public radio is stacked with people who are anything other than religious.

Date: November 21, 2010 01:48PM

This is the link to the Morgbot with the sickly sweet "we are so blessed" on repeat who used to sing on the Welk show and who was interviewed on the PBS repeat of the show, description at this link.

http://www.welkgirls.com/sandigriffiths.html - See below.

I have a TBM sister just like her, who makes you want to puke with her Utah-sugary-syrypy Mormonish talk about nothing:

"Sandi Jensen Griffiths, who delighted fans of the Welk show from 1968 to 1980.

"Sandi was born in Los Angeles on August 1, 1946 as one of five children to Mary & Garth Jensen. Growing up in the San Fernando Valley as a member of the Chruch of Latter Day Saints, she would take a similar path to stardom like fellow Mormons, the Osmonds. At age six, she made her television debut on the Art Linkletter television program, "House Party" and continued to sing throughout her school years, which led to enrolling at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah as part of the 'Program Bureau' student entertainment troupe.

"From 1968 to 1972, Sandi and Sally were one of the most popular acts on the show and when Sally left, Sandi embarked on a new phase of her career.....as lead vocal for a trio featuring Gail Farrell and Mary Lou Metzger. Their blend of looks and voices worked so well that for the next seven years, became one of the most popular acts in the history of the show, bringing back nostalgic memories of the Andrews Sisters and McGuire Sisters. She also did many solos as well, with the most notable being, "And I Love You So" and "The Way We Were".

"Off camera, Sandi married her BYU boyfriend Brent Griffiths in 1969; and they would have a large family which reached a total of seven children and one foster daughter, in later years, she would become a grandmother as well, and as of this time would have eight grandchildren. It was the choice of becoming a full-time mother and housewife that in 1980, Sandi decided to leave the Welk show.

"Since then, Sandi still continued to be a presence on television, appearing in both Welk Christmas Reunion specials in 1984 and 1985, hosting numerous wraparounds for repeats of the Welk show on public television, and appearing on the PBS pledge special-Welk reunion event "Milestones and Memories."

"Her voice can also be heard on the radio on occasion as many of her songs have been broadcast on BYU radio.

"Today, she and Brent make their home in Santa Clarita, California; where her husband operates a local carpet business and Sandi is working on her masters degree from BYU."

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:40PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 09:09PM

Sweet Jeezus that was funny.

Good find knothead!

;o)

Posted by: Davey ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 01:39PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... The irony of that song and it being on Welk is so hilarious

Who knows, maybe Gail and Dale were Morgbots? (apparently some of the singers were).

Date: November 21, 2010 02:05PM

Although listening to Sandi Griffiths made me feel nauseaous, the link bout the toking song sure has cracked me up!

Here's the songwriters singing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrNWZ4Y5tU&feature=relate

Looks like either Welk was tres naive (aka Sandi Griffihs) or he was a partier himself! Ha!

Posted by: Sierra ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 08:44PM

I'm watching the Lawrence Welk Show right now and every time they talk between songs it seems as if the woman is trying to make it the Mormon Welk Show. What in the world is going on?!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:05PM

Glad I could cheer you up with that clip... I got the sense from the guy introducing the clip that Mr. Welk had no clue what toking is all about...

I give Gail and Dale credit for performing with a straight face...

Back to the topic, it doesn't look like Sandi Jensen Griffith's was wearing garments in at least one of those photos.

Posted by: Sierra ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 08:46PM

I'm watching the Lawrence Welk Show right now and every time they talk between songs it seems as if the woman is trying to make it the Mormon Welk Show. What in the world is going on?!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.