Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelinnm ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 03:44PM

I was a returned missionary once who was determined to get my Dad back on the straight and narrow.

Some heated discussions as a result of my assumption he must be a sinner and he finally said, "Son, please understand, I'm not anti-mormon, I'm just trying to be honest."

Changed me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 03:50PM

In Utah, anything less than singing glorious praise about mormonisim is considered "anti mormon". I had a mormon guy from Davis County tell me that because I didn't support mormon politicians that I was anti mormon. I asked him how many Jews or Catholics HE supported. He told me he didn't know any.I said "well, I guess you must be "Anti-Catholic" & "Anti Semitic". He just looked at me with his mouth hanging open.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 03:52PM

Great story. Even greater dad. Very useful phrase for the future.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 03:55PM

I'm not anti-Mormons but I'm anti-Mormon.

In fact I'd argue that, by being anti-Mormon, I'm PRO-Mormons. It's like when you know somebody who's a raging alcoholic, You're anti-alcoholism; you want it out of their mind and body.

I love my Mormon friends and relatives. I hope one day they'll be cured of the disease that afflicts them.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 04:29PM

Being a TBM (i.e. truth believing Mormon) can be hard in some Wards if they have teachers & pulpit speakers who aren't trying hard to be completely honest about everything. What is very comforting for so many True Believing Mormons is that they believe that True Believing Mormon and Truth Believing Mormon are one/same :) Seeing them as the same sure makes it easier to fulfill all the sacred assignments to help build up the Kingdom and do all we can to help the Brethren control vast sums of money so they can be relaxed and ready living lives of luxury without financial stresses at any moment to get revelations towards helping do more to better assimilate everyone into this wondrous church :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 03:48AM

When I stumbled across this board more than a decade ago, (thank you, Eric K) I was astonished that there were people out there who either wanted to leave the Mormon church or who had already left. I didn't know you could resign!

To me, the church felt as uncomfortable as having your shoes on the wrong feet.

At first, after resigning, I was rabidly, bitterly anti-Mormon. I hated everything about the church. As time went by, I gradually felt less threatened, less fearful, and eventually, mellow. Now, I have a "live and let-live" attitude toward Mormons.

On the rare occasions that we are visited by mishies or members of our old ward, (since DH never resigned), I may stay in the living room and visit with them, or I may leave them to DH and go to my room for a nap. It depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

It's nice to have progressed to a stage when I no longer feel uncomfortable around them. Word has gotten around that we don't want to hear about Mormonism, so in general, they pretty much leave us alone. And that's fine.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 05:50AM

Honest, eh.

But what you are forgetting is that, from a Mormon perspective, "that which is true is not always useful".

Ie, if anything is true but does not advance the cause of Mormonism, it's *automatically* 'anti-Mormon'.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.