Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Onceuponatime ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 01:28PM

I've been following this story, also; and I'm once again just sickened. I resigned my membership in the church last November, following the "revelation." My son is gay, and after 60 years in the church, my shelf finally broke. I've lost family and close friends because of my decision, but I restored my own integrity.

I love my son more than life itself. The church's decision was hateful, and increased the sense of hopelessness and despair many of our LGBTQ friends experience, as evidenced by the increased suicides within the LDS community. (Save the correlation/causation argument, please). Going through this again, except on a much larger scale with our country, is almost unbearable. Please fight back. We already know the damage this type of thinking causes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 01:39PM

But I don't think this order is related.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:00PM

The order is written with language to allow for discrimination against LGBT+ under the guise of religious freedom.

i.e. I don't have to bake you a cake for your wedding because my religion is against gay marriages. I don't have to issue you a marriage license because my religion is against homosexuals.

This is how the order is related to what Onceuponatime stated.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:16PM

is an objection to how the mormon church treats a beloved gay son and the order doesn't change that unfortunately.

As far as businesses go, they generally have a right to provide service and products as they see fit as long as they obey the laws and regulations now in play.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:13PM

I think it would be reasonable for businesses who intend to exercise their religious right to not serve LGBT people, or whoever, to post a notice in their business and website that says so. This way, LGBT people will not have to be humiliated by being denied service, and the business will not have to deal with them.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:45PM

"LGBT people will not have to be humiliated by being denied service"

They are still being denied service, and walking up to a public place of business and seeing a sign that says "We don't serve your kind here" is still humiliating.

Does no one remember anything about the civil rights movement from US history?

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 01:41PM

Then Leah Remini will be disappointed as under this EO, Scientology is (still) safe.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 01:41PM

Oh, goody -- now I can refuse to do business with christians, and have the full protection of the US President behind me!

Oh, wait, I don't want to refuse to do business with anyone. Because that's bad for business, it's discriminatory, and it's bigoted and insane.

Aw, crap.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 01:43PM

:-) Fun to discriminate! Except when it's not which is all the time.

Posted by: michaelsa ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:19PM

to associate with whomever we want despite how wrong that choice may be?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:26PM

Living outside of the US, I'm pretty disgusted with what is happening there (and here) now. I am a conservative. Have been forever....but the type of conservatism I grew up in here in Alberta bears little resemblance to the hate filled rhetoric that dominates the political scene today...and coming from all corners. I worry mightily about what lies in the near future.

RB

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:44PM

I'm with you, Ron. It's the exploitation of hate for tactical ends, which has nothing to do with conservatism.

Posted by: michaelsa ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:54PM

military removal of sitting president or leftist anarchists destroying businesses, shutting down free speech and pepper spraying peaceful citizens?

Posted by: yeah right ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:04PM

Please provide specific examples rather than simply bullshitting, oh I'm sorry, presenting "alternative facts."

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:59PM

So with this expanded religious freedom will polygamy become legal again?

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:41PM

Okay, God is now a complicit agent in the alt-right driven, trump fiasco! So, if you treat disadvantaged Americans like crap, it's now legal because of religious freedom! So, let's have another prayer circle and thank God personally for his kindness! If they pray hard enough, maybe God himself will confirm this treachery/join in with the vile tools of bigotry, racism, homophobia, white supremacy, misogyny, elitism - etc.... to more fully demoralize their victims! As is quite evident here, breitbart news stars steve bannon/steve miller are bitter enemies of our Democratic Republic/now have unlimited access to the oval office as trusted advisers - no, say it isn't so! I ask - who else is concerned!?

trump/his fringe right cronies are dangerous/will use anything/ everything - including God, to deceive millions of weak minded ignoramuses! At this point in time, it's more than clear - donald j. trump needs comprehensive, extreme vetting by all of our intelligence agencies, now - did I emphasize immediately/ all!? Remember, conspiring with arch enemies of our beloved America both domestic/foreign is an impeachable offense! Let's see where this takes us! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 03:55PM by tnurg.

Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 04:16PM

This thread would ordinarily be deleted due to party politics. As the limited discussion of politics is now being allowed here on a trial basis, we will use this thread to try and explain the guidelines further. (Please also see the two recent Admin threads about this).

The reasons this thread doesn't pass the No Politics rule (that is still in effect when it comes to party politics and most current events) are as follows:

1. The poster starting the thread (OP) gives a link but no discussion about the topic. If you are going to bring up a political-type of topic, don't just post a link but give some comments about it.

2. The topic has not been related to religion (by the OP).

3. This subject is very political and divisive (left v right, R v D, etc) in the way it is presented (with only a link to a story re a new policy by the US President, something that is seen as contentious and discriminatory by many - inevitable political discussion and arguments, in our experience).

The guideline regarding this new limited-politics rule is that your post relates to Mormonism or other religion - it can't just be a political discussion.

Generally, if the OP doesn't follow these guidelines the thread will be deleted. If a poster who replies goes over the no party politics rule their post will be removed but the thread will stand.

The OP can try again with this topic by making it a general discussion, not linked to talking about the President specifically or new govt policies being rolled out. (For example, we discuss "religious liberty" frequently here; it can be done as a general topic, not related to the new prez).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 04:17PM by Maude.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.